Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 03:28 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times

Advertisements

I'm not so sure that there actually are different races of Humans. Many scientist believe that divisions by race are only social constructs, and not valid taxonomy. So on that basis I would say that all, what you define as races are equal.

Wings, telepathy webbed feet....You are just being silly..What advantage would these thing give us?.. Man is now defeating the laws of natural selection with medical advances, so I have no idea of what the future will bring other than as a species we will probably be weaker physically over the long haul.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:30 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,621,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Brianrees, at least you understand that your wouldview stems from an axiom. An initial statement which cannot be proven. You have selected as you have stated above that "God does not exist, or there is a material cause to all we see". This axiom has lead you to one conclusion of the interpretation of the facts around us. I have begun from the axiom "There is a God", or "The bible is truth" and from there have come up with an entirely different conclusion of the interpretation of the facts around us. So, if someone was seeking the truth regardless of its outcome, they would have to begin somewhere else, taking into account that there is a possibility that all was created by God or all was not created but has a materialistic origin.
Well stated

Old 10-21-2008, 03:37 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Wings, telepathy webbed feet....You are just being silly......
And I'm sure somewhere 4.5 bazillion years ago one creature looked at another and said "Two eyes, bipedal movement...now you're just being silly"

Old 10-21-2008, 03:52 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Oh, you were serious? It wasn't a silly question? Then I have to say probably none of those things are in man's future. No need to be condescending.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:33 PM

348 posts, read 502,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Brianrees, at least you understand that your wouldview stems from an axiom. An initial statement which cannot be proven. You have selected as you have stated above that "God does not exist, or there is a material cause to all we see". This axiom has lead you to one conclusion of the interpretation of the facts around us. I have begun from the axiom "There is a God", or "The bible is truth" and from there have come up with an entirely different conclusion of the interpretation of the facts around us.
Too bad for your argument that for the first 16 years of my life I was as convinced that God existed as you now are - no question. I was diligent in my prayers, attended a religious service twice on Sundays and also during the week. I would debate at school in favour of faith - much as I regret my immature confidence now I am older, and hopefully, wiser.

So you see, I now have a new axiom - believe only that which doesn't offend the rational mind.

How you are able to drive your own rational faculties into submission is a mystery to me, but your journey is not over, and who knows what reversals you may yet encounter. My liberation from dogmatic tyranny took place in my teens, as I said, but I always was a precocious brat.

Once the scales of delusion start to fall from your eyes, there is no stopping the process , but Ah! the FREEDOM...

Last edited by brianrees; 10-21-2008 at 04:44 PM..

Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

A question to the evolutionists:

Which races of humans do you think are higher and/or lower evolved?

Obviously (per Evolutionists) different races are going out on different branches, so which race is more advanced? What is your speculation on the evolution of humans? Wings? Telepathy? Webbed feet? Lungs that can breath carbon monoxide?

Please, share with us your views. I'm sure they won't look as ridiculous as you claim believers in Creation look.

Waiting with anticipation......
A rather chilling question (in its basic assumption about race) , I would have thought?

The simple, and only answer is NO Race is Superior or Inferior to Any Other in evolutionary, or any other terms.

The differences between us are minimal in the DNA department, virtually negligible in fact - so let's nip this potentially offensive argument in the bud, shall we?

Old 10-21-2008, 05:14 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,572,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrees View Post
A rather chilling question (in its basic assumption about race) , I would have thought?

The simple, and only answer is NO Race is Superior or Inferior to Any Other in evolutionary, or any other terms.

The differences between us are minimal in the DNA department, virtually negligible in fact - so let's nip this potentially offensive argument in the bud, shall we?
Only one race- and black people were at one time thought as "the missing link", not to mention Darwin said, blacks were lesser evolved which I find PERSONALLY insulting.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:15 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,923,337 times
Default To your various points (just tell me when to stop...)

Quote:
Here is an page of Ann Gibbons book "First Human".....I hardly think she was a good choice to bolster your young earth theory...

San the man.... unfortunately, I've got to interject before Alpha or NIKK do; your author says "Postulates or Proposes" way too often. Hence by the reasoning of our debators, this information is completely invalid. Useless and unconvincing. What were you thinking?

Sorry. Good try though, and if it makes you feel better, I believe it.

Quote:
I'm not so sure that there actually are different races of Humans. Many scientists believe that divisions by race are only social constructs, and not valid taxonomy. So on that basis I would say that all, what you define as races are equal.

Actually, back in biology, we all quietly concluded that there are different races of humans, if we define them the same way we define, say, races of elephants, buffalo, birds, etc. It's just that, from a social aspect, we could not get away with referring to the white, black, yellow, Asian, Indian etc races. We'd have street warfare on our hands so we benevolently say "We're all one big happy raceless family!" Bunk! Also, though, I'm not sure what functional advantage would accrue to defining human races.

Wings, telepathy webbed feet....You are just being silly..What advantage would these thing give us?..

Well, I for one would love to have wings...

Man is now defeating the laws of natural selection with medical advances, so I have no idea of what the future will bring other than as a species we will probably be weaker physically over the long haul.
Yep, and we also defeat the need to respond to environmental pressures by simply changing our surrounding micro environments. Too cold? Don't evolve a dense fur coat, just turn up the thermostat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
And I'm sure somewhere 4.5 bazillion years ago one creature looked at another and said "Two eyes, bipedal movement...now you're just being silly"
Hee hee!

Actually, Alpha, 4.5 BYA (Bazzillion Yrs Ago) it might well have been a progenitor of our friend the T-Rex, and it would have said "Looks like lunch to me!" Of course if the object of their hunger were a hunchy, muscular simian-humanoid ancestor, it would have quite neatly scampered into a cave, picked up it's obsidian-bladed lance and poked out the left eye of the silly predator.

Ethical evolutionary biologists do not think of anything as more or less advanced following evolution. More evolved perhaps, but only in terms of timeline and accumulated changes. We certainly can't honestly say that a polar bear is less evolved than an Inuit hunter, just differently adapted to his environment. Which means, differently, not better, evolved. BTW, I don't understand what difference you see between permanently "adapted" (the polar bear's white fur isn't temporary; it doesn't fall off after he hunts; it's a permanent adaptation and distinct advantage to his reproductive success and the long-term success of his species. It's part of his speciation (yes, it's a word!), his eons-long adaption-driven evolution.

You guys do seem to have the biggest problem, not with a bear's fur changing colors, but with the idea that the polar bear came from, say, an emergent sea lion-like creature, who also spawned a lineage that became cats, and another that became weasels, etc. And in another "evo-tree" entirely some rather precocious chimps, not monkeys, became more upright (Baboons are pretty much there now), and thence became very simian knuckle-walking pre-humans, and then, voila: semi-modern man. And THEN.... (wait for it...) us. It certainly couldn't possibly have happened in 6000 yrs, so perhaps that's your basic problem. Not enough time for the necessary changes given the known rate of DNA mutation. Thankfully we have real good evidence that there were Bazillions of years available. And we do find intermediate forms scattered through most of that extended period. Other future discoveries will fill in the current blanks, trust me on this. "Bazillions"... good term, BTW! Shows you're lookin at the bigger picture!

Finally, To NIKK's rebuttals about the Ark, I rest my case. I feel that you haven't answered the questions very well if at all.

Last edited by rifleman; 10-21-2008 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 10-21-2008, 05:28 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,923,337 times
Default Oh sorry, I forgot to ask one more thing...

I've heard all the interesting rebuttals about the Ark, dinosaurs, mitochondrial EVE, bacterial resistance to A/Bs, etc. You guys say that all the known living things were created at the same time, and man co-existed with dinos. This despite the conspicuous and complete absence of any cave drawings, fireside bone fragments from dinos, or specific mention in the bible of T-rex, velociraptors or predatory pterodactyls (I'd imagine they would have noticed and noted all of these cute but intrusive species, don't you?).

But what about the other humanoid species? Cro-magnon man for example. There he is, found in many many digs from a wide geographic area. But no mention of "those pesky, low-IQ spear-chucking smelly guys" anywhere. Did the Christians exterminate them and hope no-one noticed the remnants? That, of course, is always possible....

OK. I'm sitting down. give me your best explanation. My mind is open.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

Hee hee!

Actually, Alpha, 4.5 BYA (Bazzillion Yrs Ago) it might well have been a progenitor of our friend the T-Rex, and it would have said "Looks like lunch to me!" Of course if the object of their hunger were a hunchy, muscular simian-humanoid ancestor, it would have quite neatly scampered into a cave, picked up it's obsidian-bladed lance and poked out the left eye of the silly predator.
Rifleman - I wish I could write as punchily as this - you are by far the most entertaining guy around, and quite possibly the best informed on this subject.

Keep up the good work, and - 'Respect'.... as the youngsters say on the London streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity