Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:03 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,925,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thotful1 View Post
rifleman, I assume, is a scientist? A complete non believer? What is there to lose if you allow a little faith in your life?

Ahhh, the idea that one has no faith or spiritual being if one doesn't have "The Approved Faith". I am not an unpleasant person doomed to live an empty, joyless non- spirutal life. I feel very spiritual when I'm out in the wilderness, truly at one with the rest of the evolved beasties and plants.
I know from whence I arose, and where I'll be going when "the light burns out". The only way I 'll have to pass on my sprituality is through my offspring, with whom I've worked hard to imbue my sense of wonder in the natural world. I've also tried to give them that invaluable sense of inquisitive wonder, to continue to seek the answers to questions that come up. Certainly I've warned them to avoid assuming that others' values and beliefs are absolutes to be followed. Martin Luther would have been proud!

So far, my children, in their twenties, seem happy with that approach to life. But then they weren't burdened with pre-conceived notions that needed to be overcome like walls of a prison before they could freely explore. Unlike me, they weren't forced to go to Sunday school.

It's very liberating to feel completely guilt-free to openly question anything, and then to come to the conclusions that, as in a good science experiment, fit the observed results that we see all around us.

Have a good night! And best wishes to the LHC, boson strangelets and all!

Old 09-30-2008, 10:20 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,574,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
I would assume that most fundies are against it out of ignorance. It sounds scary"
Far from it. It won't work and it won't tell us anything other than the fact that big 12 billion dollar turbine machines weren't around during the "big bang". Something came from nothing.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 09-30-2008 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-30-2008, 10:45 AM

789 posts, read 1,335,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Far from it. It won't work and it won't tell us anything other than the fact that big 12 billion dollar turbine machines weren't around during the big bank. Something came from nothing.
And what evidence do you have to support this claim?

Old 09-30-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
And what evidence do you have to support this claim?
Something...came from nothing. Something came from nothing.....something came from nothing.

There were no machines billions of years ago, there was nothing, no matter, no light, no darkness, not even gas let alone a particle collider to create life.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Something...came from nothing. Something came from nothing.....something came from nothing.

There were no machines billions of years ago, there was nothing, no matter, no light, no darkness, not even gas let alone a particle collider to create life.
And this proves that the LHC won't do anything useful? Does.. not.. follow..

To say that is just begging the question. Come on, Logic 101.

Last edited by fancofu; 09-30-2008 at 11:26 AM..

Old 09-30-2008, 10:59 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,893,639 times
Quote:

Ya know, that's interesting. I guess, technically, it will actually confirm Intelligent Design is necessary for life, eh?

That is IF it EVER works.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Ya know, that's interesting. I guess, technically, it will actually confirm Intelligent Design is necessary for life, eh?

That is IF it EVER works.
I stand corrected...lol

Old 09-30-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
And this proves that the LHC won't do anything useful? Does.. not.. follow..
You tell me, a billion dollar piece of equipment to figure out how life began? All they needed was $12.00 for a bible. "In the Beginning"

Old 09-30-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
You tell me, a billion dollar piece of equipment to figure out how life began? All they needed was $12.00 for a bible. "In the Beginning"
It's not trying to figure out how life began... Do you know what it's purpose is? Do you know ANYTHING about it? Are you this ignorant on purpose?

Old 09-30-2008, 11:56 AM

113 posts, read 175,334 times
Fancofu: you're getting all worked up over, well, nothing. You should recognize "baiting" when you see it. Since we Christians believe in the power of prayer, you can bet that countless tens of thousands of us are praying, hopefully, that the LHC will fail in, well, whatever it's supposed to do. And when I see the posts here, I have to occasionally distance myself from these guys. Boy are they ever narrow-minded. Of course they don't know what its objectives are. That would require some objective reading.

Fellow Christians: if you ever hope to convince folks of our side of the argument, I think you should be a) more civil, and b) more logical. (Even if the other side gets a bit testy, don't we always preach tolerance, and our quiet correctness and patience?). I just read a post by rifleman that I thought was real good, though a sad commentary on us. It's over on the Evolution thread. I see that he's given up trying in the face of what appears to be boneheaded-ness on our part. Too bad.
If we just want to chase all the debaters aaway, this is the way to do it. I agree that he'll probably never see us give in, even just a bit, in the face of an interesting question. His "anon" quote seems to be a little too true.

Well, "war on", folks! And to you evolutionists and scientists, my apologies for our childish behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity