Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:16 PM

789 posts, read 1,335,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Well shut it!, LOL....seriously an open mind really is to discern what to let in and what to keep out.

There is a danger in Harry Potter books, to simply dismiss that "fear" is not fair to many Christian parents. You as a parent have a responsibility to decide whether or not to allow your children access to it.

If you are a Christian parent and are wrong about Harry Potter books or any other avenue such as a TV show etc.... having no effect on your children then you will one day have to answer to God.
Where in the Bible does it say that Harry Potter is bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 04:44 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,573,578 times
(Deuteronomy 18:10-12)

"There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer,

or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead.

For whoever does these things is detestable to the LORD; and because of these detestable things the LORD your God will drive them out before you."

You see in The Harry Potter books, there are bad witches as well as good witches, the bible says, no such thing, it's ALL of the devil and God hates it. as spiritually immature children, they may not have the ability to distinguish between reality and fantasy, right and wrong, or good and evil. At best, they may be left confused about God's views about the occult, and at worst, they may become enchanted by the magical existence of Harry and his friends, becoming desensitized to occultic lifestyles. IMO it is better to avoid them, there are plenty of books out there to read just as good.

Why take the chance.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:50 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,022,408 times
Quote:
Well shut it!, LOL....seriously an open mind really is to discern what to let in and what to keep out.

There is a danger in Harry Potter books, to simply dismiss that "fear" is not fair to many Christian parents. You as a parent have a responsibility to decide whether or not to allow your children access to it.

If you are a Christian parent and are wrong about Harry Potter books or any other avenue such as a TV show etc.... having no effect on your children then you will one day have to answer to God.

I just cannot see "danger" in Harry Potter books. They are simply an older child's version of a fairy tale, in my opinion. But you are right in that parents have a responsibility to guide our children. We don't all share the same religious beliefs and so that really cannot be a ruler for what is acceptable or not acceptable, as dangerous or not dangerous...but honesty, ethics, kindness, etc are universal when it comes to training and guiding and teaching...and for many parents, we can use fantasy such as Harry Potter to discuss those things and use them in a very positive way.

As for an open mind...hmmm...to me, an open mind is a mind that is able to look at all facts, all premises, and not shut out other ideas, possibilities and opinions due to preconceived notions, fears, guilt, etc. An open mind lets in everything, and then decides what to accept and what to discard according to how the person views his or her own truth... at least in my opinion.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I just cannot see "danger" in Harry Potter books. They are simply an older child's version of a fairy tale, in my opinion. But you are right in that parents have a responsibility to guide our children. We don't all share the same religious beliefs and so that really cannot be a ruler for what is acceptable or not acceptable, as dangerous or not dangerous...but honesty, ethics, kindness, etc are universal when it comes to training and guiding and teaching...and for many parents, we can use fantasy such as Harry Potter to discuss those things and use them in a very positive way.
I respect your decision but from my perspective I see the danger.

Quote:
As for an open mind...hmmm...to me, an open mind is a mind that is able to look at all facts, all premises, and not shut out other ideas, possibilities and opinions due to preconceived notions, fears, guilt, etc. An open mind lets in everything, and then decides what to accept and what to discard according to how the person views his or her own truth... at least in my opinion.
I said that but except for letting everything in, an open mind is like a door to your house. Will you leave it open 24-7, allowing everything or every person in? No, of course not because you realize that is dangerous because it may never leave or it may even hurt you so you lock your door, look through the peep hole and decide if it is safe to open the door.

Well might I add that we should do that with our mind as well.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
I respect your decision but from my perspective I see the danger; besides there are to many other books, just as good that your children can read and at the same time have the 100% assurance of not displeasing God.

Quote:
I said that except for letting EVERYTHING IN, an open mind is like a door to your house. Will you leave it open 24-7, allowing everything or every person in? No, of course not. Common sense tells you that is dangerous because it may never leave or it may even hurt you so you lock your door, look through the peep hole and decide whether it is safe to open the door.

Well might I add we should do that with our mind as well.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:59 PM

789 posts, read 1,335,025 times
Quote:

"There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer,

or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead.

For whoever does these things is detestable to the LORD; and because of these detestable things the LORD your God will drive them out before you."

You see in The Harry Potter books, there are bad witches as well as good witches, the bible says, no such thing, it's ALL of the devil and God hates it. as spiritually immature children, they may not have the ability to distinguish between reality and fantasy, right and wrong, or good and evil. At best, they may be left confused about God's views about the occult, and at worst, they may become enchanted by the magical existence of Harry and his friends, becoming desensitized to occultic lifestyles. IMO it is better to avoid them, there are plenty of books out there to read just as good.

Why take the chance.
Do you follow the rest of Deuteronomy or are you cherry picking? Also, do you realize that Harry Potter is not a documentary?

Old 10-07-2008, 06:31 PM

396 posts, read 838,517 times
Quote:

Why take the chance.
This says you shouldn't PRACTICE witchcraft...is reading a fictional book practicing witchcraft especially if you teach your kids the difference between ficiton, fantasy, and reality?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
This says you shouldn't PRACTICE witchcraft...is reading a fictional book practicing witchcraft especially if you teach your kids the difference between ficiton, fantasy, and reality?
Some children grow up reading horoscopes, playing with wegee boards because they were not spiritually mature to understand ALL black arts are evil because they were desensitized then to the occultic lifestyles. Thinking its fun and games and not really serious when in fact it is very serious. serious enough for the bible to talk about it and that God hates it.

(Philippians 4:8)
"fill your minds with those things that are good and that deserve praise: things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and honorable."

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-07-2008 at 07:57 PM..

Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
Do you follow the rest of Deuteronomy or are you cherry picking? Also, do you realize that Harry Potter is not a documentary?
I am a fundamentalist therefore I take the entire bible literally but that does not mean that there are not figures of speech in the bible.
We need to understand the culture in which it was written; we must also consider the context of words, phrases, and chapters.

I do not cherry pick but the OT was not meant for Christians, it was for the Jews of that time but that doesn't mean we diregard it altogether. The whole bible is to be used in the proper context.

Yes I do realize Harry Potter is not a documentary just as the movie, "Saw 1-2-3" are not documentaries either but I would never let my kids nor I watch that movie. If you can call it that.

"fill your minds with those things that are good and that deserve praise: things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and honorable."

Old 10-07-2008, 08:19 PM

396 posts, read 838,517 times
Quote:
Some children grow up reading horoscopes, playing with wegee boards because they were not spiritually mature to understand ALL black arts are evil because they were desensitized then to the occultic lifestyles. Thinking its fun and games and not really serious when in fact it is very serious. serious enough for the bible to talk about it and that God hates it.
So, why not teach the children the difference?

Quote:
I am a fundamentalist therefore I take the entire bible literally but that does not mean that there are not figures of speech in the bible.
We need to understand the culture in which it was written; we must also consider the context of words, phrases, and chapters.

I do not cherry pick but the OT was not meant for Christians, it was for the Jews of that time but that doesn't mean we diregard it altogether. The whole bible is to be used in the proper context.

Yes I do realize Harry Potter is not a documentary just as the movie, "Saw 1-2-3" are not documentaries either but I would never let my kids nor I watch that movie. If you can call it that.

Does this mean you don't watch TV, read anything but the bible, and don't let your children do the reading assignments in school? I remember having to read Dracula, books on King Arthur, Poe, The Hobbit, The House of Seven Gables, books on the Salem Witch Trials, etc. If you take the Bible literally, that means you also believe in Transubstantiation and recieve communion every week, and keep a Kosher house. Show me where Kosher Law has been voided? After all, Jesus was Jewish and kept those Laws. So, where do you draw the line? Where does "taking the bible literally" stop and become picking and choosing what you take lilterally? I'm honestly curious. Where do you draw that line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity