Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:36 AM

262 posts, read 1,042,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
What's funny is that "witchcraft" only occurs in forests or in deserted areas where only a few people are and nobody ever happens to have a camera or camcorder.
I don't know about you, but if I had magical powers, I wouldn't tell a soul. But seriously I've met some goth kids who were very serious believing in all that stuff, one was even saddened because there was a war between two groups of them and his friends were "out there dying every day". Needless to say I didn't talk to them again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 02:21 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times
Harry Potter is as believeable as say. humans living side by side with dinosaurs, it is fiction.
If things keep going the way that they are in america, there will be censorship of certain books in libraries that are not acceptable to christian fundamentalists, & religion, the creationist version, taught in schools.
I've read all of the posts and have been amazed at the number of people who are teaching their children that there is only one truth and you must never question it.
I feel sorry for these children to grow up to be anti-evolution, and anti every thing else their patents think is not christian enough.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:56 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,541,470 times
I'm a christian and have to say, I love Harry Potter....

If you are secure in your beliefs, then this story should be no threat to you.

If your children get confused...which unless they are weak in the head anyway, won't happen they are smarted than you give the credit for..they should be able to come to you and discuss it.

Kids know this is a STORY. They know it's not real! It's pretend like Santa, The Easter bunny and the toothfairy.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:03 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,667 times
Wow this thread sure did start a discussion. If people think I'm a terribly unfair parent because I sensor what my children watch and read, then I'll take that label. I do what I think is best for my childrens' emotional, physical, and spiritual health.

GCSTroop, I have been so tempted at times to limit the TV to educational programs or get rid of the TV altogether. My nephew REALLY thought he was superman for a while...actually I think he still does and he's 24 now.

Fancofu, you suggested I continue reading further in Deuteronomy, particularly 21:18-21.
18If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

At first glance this may appear to be justifying killing a disobedient child. That is not the case. The Mosaic Law was put into place to protect the nation of Isreal, so that the Messiah could be born through it. Strict adherence to God's laws was absolutely expected.

Look closely at verse 20. It is saying that this son is stubborn and rebellious (has has refused to listen and change his ways)...he is a glutton and a drunkard. Obviously we are not talking about a child. They take him to the elders of HIS city...again a grown man.

In addition, this law was nailed with Jesus...it was ended. Jesus said to the Pharisees and others listening in Matthew 22:35-40 that the two most important laws is #1- YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'
This is the great and foremost commandment.
And the second that you love your neighbor.

If you love God, then you can not have anything to do with spiritism, whether it is real or glorified in a fictional movie. Following Jesus' example and noting in Rev 21:8 it is clear how God feels about sorcerers.

Again, packaging spiritism and sorcery in a nice little pill that is easy to swallow because, "hey it gets my kid to read", is dangerous. My kids LOVE to read and Harry Potter didn't have anything to do with it. There are other choices.

GCSTroop, you also commented on whether or not God really cares if you are reading Harry Potter. There are many examples throughout the bible when people thought that very thing (about other things, not Harry Potter), and they learned the hard way. So does it really matter? To me it does.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:20 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
(Deuteronomy 18:10-12)

"There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer,

or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead.

For whoever does these things is detestable to the LORD; and because of these detestable things the LORD your God will drive them out before you."

You see in The Harry Potter books, there are bad witches as well as good witches, the bible says, no such thing, it's ALL of the devil and God hates it. as spiritually immature children, they may not have the ability to distinguish between reality and fantasy, right and wrong, or good and evil. At best, they may be left confused about God's views about the occult, and at worst, they may become enchanted by the magical existence of Harry and his friends, becoming desensitized to occultic lifestyles. IMO it is better to avoid them, there are plenty of books out there to read just as good.

Why take the chance.
Well, let me ask these questions of you, then...

1. Enjoyed any shrimp lately? How about lobster?

2. Do you like pork chops or hot dogs? Or maybe barbecue pork ribs?

3. Do you wear a garment made of any two different materials sewn together?

If so, you are in defiance of the Lord's commandments in Leviticus.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:35 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

The Mosaic Law ended when Jesus died. We no longer are bound by SOME of the laws. The two laws that Jesus said all others hang on is to love God with your whole heart, soul, and mind. The second to love your neighbor.

You have to get to know God through the bible, what He approves and does not approve of.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:50 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:

Well I hate any type of crustacean but seriously, it's like beeveenh said, "The Mosaic Law ended when Jesus died" but those Laws had a reason for being. Most of the Laws were there to end "idolatry".

Many of those laws you deemed as ridiculous were put there because people practiced them such as wearing two different types of material sewn together, wearing tattoos etc.... to worship pagan gods.

The Jews were picking up pagan beliefs and worshiping pagan gods, and God wanted it to cease.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:08 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Harry Potter is as believeable as say. humans living side by side with dinosaurs, it is fiction.
If things keep going the way that they are in america, there will be censorship of certain books in libraries that are not acceptable to christian fundamentalists, & religion, the creationist version, taught in schools.
I've read all of the posts and have been amazed at the number of people who are teaching their children that there is only one truth and you must never question it.
I feel sorry for these children to grow up to be anti-evolution, and anti every thing else their patents think is not christian enough.
Brainwashed people tend to brainwash their kids...Very sad, but the chain will be broken by some kids who learn to think, instead of simply becoming parrots of their parents programming. ...Been there, done that.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:14 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Well I hate any type of crustacean but seriously, it's like beeveenh said, "The Mosaic Law ended when Jesus died" but those Laws had a reason for being. Most of the Laws were there to end "idolatry".

Many of those laws you deemed as ridiculous were put there because people practiced them such as wearing two different types of material sewn together, wearing tattoos etc.... to worship pagan gods.

The Jews were picking up pagan beliefs and worshiping pagan gods, and God wanted it to cease.
Ahhhh...so one edict was situational in nature while the other was not, and you know the difference between the two. You're being quite literal when it suits you and interpret Scripture when it suits you. That's pretty convenient if you ask me.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:24 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Ahhhh...so one edict was situational in nature while the other was not, and you know the difference between the two. You're being quite literal when it suits you and interpret Scripture when it suits you. That's pretty convenient if you ask me.
I don't know what you are talking about, there are many verses proving what I said. You have covenants, that's why one was called "OLD" and the other "NEW". Those particular Laws did not make it into the New Testament

You make the same mistakes as many Christians who buy into prosperity preaching, taking that from the "OLD" testament trying to apply in into the New Testament and still using Old Testament standards, it was done away with but they still cling to it because they love the idea of God making them rich.

(anyway this is getting off topic. If you want to talk further then start a new thread or find a similar. I will respond)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity