Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:57 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times

Advertisements

In the last few weeks we have been bombarded with news regarding our economy.

Over and over I have heard local, national and cable newscasters and sometimes their guests say "Money is the root of all evil" (two different ones tonight.) It's the LOVE OF MONEY that is the root of all evil.

1Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

This isn't some Ben Franklin or Mark Twain quote ... it's from The Man (who we will all stand before one day one on one) ... the Word of God ... the Bible.

It just hits my spirit everytime it's quoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 12:23 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
In the last few weeks we have been bombarded with news regarding our economy.

Over and over I have heard local, national and cable newscasters and sometimes their guests say "Money is the root of all evil" (two different ones tonight.) It's the LOVE OF MONEY that is the root of all evil.

1Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

This isn't some Ben Franklin or Mark Twain quote ... it's from The Man (who we will all stand before one day one on one) ... the Word of God ... the Bible.

It just hits my spirit everytime it's quoted.
Absolutely DO NOT count on things getting better. Here's another scripture that explains why:
2 Timothy 3:1-5 - "New International Version"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Timothy 3:1-5
"But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God - having a form of godliness but denying it's power, Have nothing to do with them."

Old 10-14-2008, 08:59 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
I still love the QB for the University of Florida wearing Philippians 4:13 on his eye blacks.

and how about Obama's Sermon on the mount debacle.

I still love the one, which I have heard enough Christians in this forum use wrongly.

"Judge not lest ye be judged"

Christians think there are contradictions in the bible because they have bad interpretations.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Christians think there are contradictions in the bible because they have bad interpretations.

God can (and will) work out any perceived contradictions, because He's above this constraint we call "time".

Quote:
That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. (Eph 2:7)
Seems we're not nearly as patient with God as He is with us.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:57 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Absolutely DO NOT count on things getting better. Here's another scripture that explains why:
2 Timothy 3:1-5 - "New International Version"
Hi bluepacific,

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. I have not seen anyone forbidding anyone to marry or eat certain kinds of food within the faith lately.

1 Timothy 4
But (A)the Spirit explicitly says that (B)in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to (C)deceitful spirits and (D)doctrines of demons, 2by means of the hypocrisy of liars (E)seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron,
3men who (F)forbid marriage and advocate (G)abstaining from foods which (H)God has created to be (I)gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.
4For (J)everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is (K)received with gratitude;
5for it is sanctified by means of (L)the word of God and prayer.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:07 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi bluepacific,

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. I have not seen anyone forbidding anyone to marry or eat certain kinds of food within the faith lately.
Well maybe except for Catholic restrictions against priests marrying, or maybe certain religions requiring dietary restrictions like 7th Day Adventist. Don't know about secularists restrictions.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:16 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Well maybe except for Catholic restrictions against priests marrying, or maybe certain religions requiring dietary restrictions like 7th Day Adventist. Don't know about secularists restrictions.
Hi bluepacific,

If its the Catholics, and then protestants that came about later it would mean that a sect broke out encouraging marriage which is the opposite of this warning. It would also be a poor warning where the beginning would last a few hundred years and the end would be for nearly 2000.
Also, I suppose Catholics would say a priest may marry so long as they decide to give up being a priest but you would need to ask a catholic.

I say forget about AC hunting until we see these sects break out.in significant numbers forbidding marriage and food. Also these must be people falling away from the faith thus the secular is not in scope.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:44 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Ecclesiastes 2:24 There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:24 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? (Mic 6:8)

Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 PM

140 posts, read 459,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi bluepacific,

1 Timothy 4
But (A)the Spirit explicitly says that (B)in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to (C)deceitful spirits and (D)doctrines of demons, 2by means of the hypocrisy of liars (E)seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron,
3men who (F)forbid marriage and advocate (G)abstaining from foods which (H)God has created to be (I)gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.
4For (J)everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is (K)received with gratitude;
5for it is sanctified by means of (L)the word of God and prayer.
Just a question for all readers/ posters-- does everyone take this literally? Could God perhaps be referring to spiritual food and the marriage of the church to Christ? Just asking... I'm no theologian, but I know that sometimes things are meant literally in the Bible, and some are symbolic and representative of faith itself. Could this be what this passage is saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity