Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 09:16 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,098,873 times

Advertisements

I have posted before as I've been slowly thinking about going back to church over the months

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...al-church.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...-may-want.html

Perhaps the idea simply comes from the fact that I have always been interesting in the idea of founding countries and civilizations and places, but I came up with this idea
I remember the commercials that that broadway writer guy had on TV, where he was advertising a planned community in Jackson (NJ) for artists and the like, saying "it's a community for nice people"
From what I hear he still hasn't put anything in the ground, but the guy owns like 1,000 acres in Jackson
So I thought, what about use some of that land to form a community for Christians/church-goers? Raising kids in a real community, with concurrent goals (family life) would have its obvious advantages, even just raising kids in SOME kind of culture that isn't our default TV non-culture would be great
It wouldn't cater to any one denomination, but subdivisions could be created for people of the same denomination. I could name numerous very concrete advantages, from knowing your neighbors won't spazz out at seeing even the mildest corporal punishment of kids, to having plenty of other couples around to trade off one night a weekend to watch each other's kids for date night, or for the wives (husbands included sometimes) get dinner and dishes done. Also, I forgot to add that I'd include homeschoolers as welcomed people, so it would be a commnity for both church-goers and homeschoolers, and as before, the homeschoolers could have their own blocks if anyone cared that much. With numerous homeschoolers we could REALLY teach our kids thoroughly, and I would relish the chance to teach physics and really give the kids a working understanding of it.

I guess part of this is also my feeling of a lack of community. I read an article by the author that summarized his book "The Little Way of Ruthie Leming: A Southern Girl, a Small Town, and the Secret of a Good Life". It was nothing new to me, I'm acutely aware of a complete lack of community in our society (the blue states, at least, I've never lived in a red state). And the fact is a real community, of shared involvement and investment, is what the vast moajority of people in history have had. We seem to have lost it due to the largely and much greater more recently immigration-based source of our population.
There was also an article by some women describing how she moved with her husband and kids into a trailer that's like 200 square feet and ended up being much happier, again, didn't surprise me, but the moral there is that there is a HECK of a lot more to quality of life than income and floor space, whereas in my experience, in the blue states we actively take the opposite view to the extreme/absurd, where people only care about income and material wealth.

Also wouldn't hurt to have a much easier source of demand for me to build houses for and get some experience/credentials in land development, and also easy access to a lot of land for garden space (I like to grow fruits/vegetables)

Anyway, just a thought.
Would it sound tempting/good to anyone? Not so good that you would actually necessarily move, I know a lot of people are tied to their jobs, but excluding those concerns, would it sound like a good place to live in, a planned christian community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,279 times
no

Old 11-18-2013, 10:39 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times
I've thought about that extensively when I get in a depressed mood about the world. I've always imagined in my head living in some really nice gated town with just Christians. It would be just like the "Leave It To Beaver" neighborhood come to life. Very stepford and taken care of in all appearances. Wealthy citizens. A self sustained community filled with it's own industry, trade, and agriculture. All the great amenities for families such as movie theaters, amusement parks, libraries, restaurants, etc. Waking everyday up in sunshine and happiness. Everyone saying hi to one another in the street. Everyone worshiping God. It would be a suburban paradise away from the darkness of the world. But I guess in hindsight the point of that community wouldn't make sense because we're suppose to go out in the world and tell them about Christ and welcome them to our churches and communities. Not hide in them. Lol. But I digress. When I do become wealthy, I still plan on living somewhere that somewhat fufills my fantasy. Someplace like Greenwich or Darient CT, Beverly Hills, or Palm Beach. I just want to have an upper class lifestyle.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:15 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,918,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
I have posted before as I've been slowly thinking about going back to church over the months

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...al-church.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...-may-want.html

Perhaps the idea simply comes from the fact that I have always been interesting in the idea of founding countries and civilizations and places, but I came up with this idea
I remember the commercials that that broadway writer guy had on TV, where he was advertising a planned community in Jackson (NJ) for artists and the like, saying "it's a community for nice people"
From what I hear he still hasn't put anything in the ground, but the guy owns like 1,000 acres in Jackson
So I thought, what about use some of that land to form a community for Christians/church-goers? Raising kids in a real community, with concurrent goals (family life) would have its obvious advantages, even just raising kids in SOME kind of culture that isn't our default TV non-culture would be great
It wouldn't cater to any one denomination, but subdivisions could be created for people of the same denomination. I could name numerous very concrete advantages, from knowing your neighbors won't spazz out at seeing even the mildest corporal punishment of kids, to having plenty of other couples around to trade off one night a weekend to watch each other's kids for date night, or for the wives (husbands included sometimes) get dinner and dishes done. Also, I forgot to add that I'd include homeschoolers as welcomed people, so it would be a commnity for both church-goers and homeschoolers, and as before, the homeschoolers could have their own blocks if anyone cared that much. With numerous homeschoolers we could REALLY teach our kids thoroughly, and I would relish the chance to teach physics and really give the kids a working understanding of it.

I guess part of this is also my feeling of a lack of community. I read an article by the author that summarized his book "The Little Way of Ruthie Leming: A Southern Girl, a Small Town, and the Secret of a Good Life". It was nothing new to me, I'm acutely aware of a complete lack of community in our society (the blue states, at least, I've never lived in a red state). And the fact is a real community, of shared involvement and investment, is what the vast moajority of people in history have had. We seem to have lost it due to the largely and much greater more recently immigration-based source of our population.
There was also an article by some women describing how she moved with her husband and kids into a trailer that's like 200 square feet and ended up being much happier, again, didn't surprise me, but the moral there is that there is a HECK of a lot more to quality of life than income and floor space, whereas in my experience, in the blue states we actively take the opposite view to the extreme/absurd, where people only care about income and material wealth.

Also wouldn't hurt to have a much easier source of demand for me to build houses for and get some experience/credentials in land development, and also easy access to a lot of land for garden space (I like to grow fruits/vegetables)

Anyway, just a thought.
Would it sound tempting/good to anyone? Not so good that you would actually necessarily move, I know a lot of people are tied to their jobs, but excluding those concerns, would it sound like a good place to live in, a planned christian community?
As an atheist, I saw a similar idea for retired people. The first complex in a city north of me was for Christians and sold out in weeks. The same developer in a different part of town built a similar one for our small, but largely affluent Jewish population. Same result.

Then he gambled and did the same for a sizeable Muslim population. Again same result.

What do I take away from that?

People like to be with similar minded people. I think your idea is workable. Even if some of the inhabitants come around to my way of thinking

I can say that living in a small town at the buckle of the bible belt in my jurisdiction. A creation science museum is three blocks away. I love the idea that I see kids under six going to the playground by themselves, with no need for an adult around. I saw the same thing at Halloween. Very cool, very 1950ish.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:54 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,504,702 times
Default Love it---actually the way I grew up.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:46 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,131,841 times
Ave Maria, Fl is a planned Catholic community and is doing quite well.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:21 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
The idea certainly has appeal to me, and I have given it some thought. It wouldn't work out. People need jobs, and so those who bought into the community would all have to be willing to uproot their lives, leave their families, and establish a new life in this community. I don't think life in most parts of the USA are that bad that this really has any appeal to anyone. This is why church membership has historically been a very important part of Christian life. When we lived in Ill. our church was our community. My wife made friends who also had babies. They got together during the week, and occasionally helped out with children. Christians are typically also very family oriented, and so family also is part of the network in Christian families.

So if this is important, I'd suggest you find a local Christian church.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:36 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I've thought about that extensively when I get in a depressed mood about the world. I've always imagined in my head living in some really nice gated town with just Christians. It would be just like the "Leave It To Beaver" neighborhood come to life. Very stepford and taken care of in all appearances. Wealthy citizens. A self sustained community filled with it's own industry, trade, and agriculture. All the great amenities for families such as movie theaters, amusement parks, libraries, restaurants, etc. Waking everyday up in sunshine and happiness. Everyone saying hi to one another in the street. Everyone worshiping God. It would be a suburban paradise away from the darkness of the world. But I guess in hindsight the point of that community wouldn't make sense because we're suppose to go out in the world and tell them about Christ and welcome them to our churches and communities. Not hide in them. Lol. But I digress. When I do become wealthy, I still plan on living somewhere that somewhat fufills my fantasy. Someplace like Greenwich or Darient CT, Beverly Hills, or Palm Beach. I just want to have an upper class lifestyle.
If your talking about Beverly Hills, CA and you want a strictly Christian community..... keep looking. Like most of Southern California, BH is a huge mix of people and religions. It also has the largest Persian Jew community in the country. Beautiful area. Nice place to live. A place you can find churches and temples. Come to think of it there's also an Islamic Center.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-19-2013 at 08:16 AM..

Old 11-19-2013, 08:03 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Sounds like the OP wants to return to 1950, when men were men and women knew their place.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:33 AM

668 posts, read 690,483 times
We would have areas like that now if the Federal Government would leave us alone. You cannot apply the same moral standard across all 50 states. You end up with no one happy with the results. we must become 50 separate countries self-governed. That is how to make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity