Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:22 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,071,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
And the name Jesus means 'God is Gracious'. I'm not sure what the meaning of the name has to do w/the nature of God. It has never occurred to me to assume that "God is With Us' means that Jesus was God. He was a representative of God, certainly. He was God's son.
I just quoted the Bible. That's what it says. Don't know if the Jehovah Witness "New World" version says that or not.

Immanuel means "God with Us"....

and... the name "Jesus" came from Joshua which in Hebrew means "Yahweh is Salvation"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 10:24 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,591,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I just quoted the Bible. That's what it says. Don't know if your New World version says that or not.

Immanuel means "God with Us"....

and... the name "Jesus" came from Joshua which in Hebrew means "Yahweh is Salvation"...

That is a common misconception. I encourage everyone to get a New world Translation and compare it to their own bibles, verse by verse. Many of the Fundamentalists in our area use it because of it's modern but very respectful English. The differences are minute. EIther way, I have several bibles I use and I am aware of the verse you mention. But the meaning of Emmanuel does not denote that God was coming down in human form. In the OT 'God is with you people' did not mean he was with them in person, it meant he was on their side. So I couldnt use the term 'God is with us' to convince myself of the Trinity doctrine.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:27 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,224,440 times
A king is royalty - the son of a king is also royalty.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:27 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,601,401 times
Quote:
That is a common misconception. I encourage everyone to get a New world Translation and compare it to their own bibles, verse by verse. Many of the Fundamentalists in our area use it because of it's modern but very respectful English. The differences are minute. EIther way, I have several bibles I use and I am aware of the verse you mention. But the meaning of Emmanuel does not denote that God was coming down in human form. In the OT 'God is with you people' did not mean he was with them in person, it meant he was on their side. So I couldnt use the term 'God is with us' to convince myself of the Trinity doctrine.
He didn't say that. He said, the interpretation

Old 10-14-2008, 10:29 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,071,145 times
Quote:
alicenavada,...

I don't remember speaking to you in the past but apparently you remember me.
When you came out so vehemently against the Trinity I immediately thought that you were a Jehovah's Witness.

I have learned something over time about arguing... that many are defiled.
So, I hope you don't mind if I bow out of this discussion.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
alicenavada,...

I don't remember speaking to you in the past but apparently you remember me. When you came out so vehemently against the Trinity I immediately thought that you were a Jehovah's Witness.

I have learned something over time about arguing... that many are defiled. So, I hope you don't mind if I bow out of this discussion.

Goodness. I've looked back over my posts and I certainly don't feel that I was 'vehement' in my statements. I apologize if I came off that way. I am merely certain in my beliefs and was interested in the reasoning behind the scripture quoted. I am not here to argue as most people know. Of course I don't mind if you bow out.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:43 AM

Heh! alicenavada

Regardless what your beliefs are. Could I ask this ONE question. At least Does it appear, look that the bible sort of confuses Jesus and God and that there is some sort of plurality? Remember I am only asking, on the surface or the appearance.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Heh! alicenavada

Regardless what your beliefs are. Could I ask this ONE question. At least Does it appear, look that the bible sort of confuses Jesus and God and that there is some sort of plurality? Remember I am only asking, on the surface or the appearance.

Not on the surface, I feel, since usually within the same chapters as those verses that are used by themselves to support the doctrine, there are several verses that seperate God and Jesus definitively. Interestingly, in most cases where someone reads the bible w/ no coaching from any theology or history of affiliation, people seem to get the distinct impression that they are seperate individuals. In my experience, mind you.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Not on the surface, I feel, since usually within the same chapters as those verses that are used by themselves to support the doctrine, there are several verses that seperate God and Jesus definitively. Interestingly, in most cases where someone reads the bible w/ no coaching from any theology or history of affiliation, people seem to get the distinct impression that they are seperate individuals. In my experience, mind you.
Then why does God say, John 1:1 says that “the Word was God.” John 1:14 says that “the Word became flesh.”

Why doesn't He rebuke people for calling Him God when Thomas the disciple declared concerning Jesus, “Lord and my God”

You don't see any confusion there?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
Then why does God say, John 1:1 says that “the Word was God.” John 1:14 says that “the Word became flesh.”

Why doesn't He rebuke people for calling Him God when Thomas the disciple declared concerning Jesus, “Lord and my God”

You don't see any confusion there?

The Word was God is not an accurate translation of the Greek. Some bible translations read 'The Word was a god', 'the Word was godlike', or 'the Word was divine'. Therefore, it doesnt render him equality with Almight God. It simply describes his position prior to his human existence, in the busom position with his Father. This is in keeping w/ verse 18 of the same verse which says that 'no man has seen God at any time'.

He does rebuke people for calling him 'Good' if you'll remember, proclaiming that no one is Good but God.. Evidently, Thomas' devotion to God was not in question when he made this statement or Jesus would most certainly have rebuked him. When examined contextually, I do not believe there is confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity