Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 02:08 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,587,007 times

Advertisements

So what verse do you attribute to this teaching?

According to the other poster's verse it stated it 'came'.

Aren't there people already in heaven?
How did they 'receive' the gift of God which is Jesus Christ?

btw- you didnt answer the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
"Abraham had faith in God, and it was counted to him for righteousness"

God's people in the Old Testament were responsible to be obedient to God's law, just as God's people (every believer) must be obedient to the Holy Spirit today. To become a child of God and receive the inward covenant we must repent and forsake our sins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 02:10 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,919,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Only 9 of the 10 commandments make it into the NT. The Sabbath was dropped.
Not in the bible it wasn't. If I recall correctly, that change was made in 321AD by Constantine. So technically, unless you believe Constantine got a direct missive from god that his holy day had suddenly changed...you should be going to church on Saturday.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:13 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Not in the bible it wasn't. If I recall correctly, that change was made in 321AD by Constantine. So technically, unless you believe Constantine got a direct missive from god that his holy day had suddenly changed...you should be going to church on Saturday.
Show me keeping the "Sabbath" in the New Testament that pertains to the Gentiles and isn't in a synagogue?

(Colossians 2 16;17)
"So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or Sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ"

Old 10-20-2008, 02:20 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
So what verse do you attribute to this teaching?

According to the other poster's verse it stated it 'came'.

Aren't there people already in heaven?
How did they 'receive' the gift of God which is Jesus Christ?

btw- you didnt answer the question
Sorry if I missed a question.. what should I clarify?

Salvation came to all through Jesus, and this includes Abraham, who along with others of the faithful in the Old Testament looked for God's promise of a Redeemer. (read the faith chapter, Heb. 11)
Heb 11:13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
No, I don't believe that people go to heaven or hell until after the coming judgment, but that's a topic for another thread. And everyone in heaven will only be there because Jesus died for them.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:27 PM

You're saying that Abraham received the promise...because Jesus died for 'all'.

Are you saying Abraham's sins were covered by the blood of Jesus?

I'm just wondering what verse you're speaking about because the ones that were posted don't teach or say what you're writing about.

Quote:
Sorry if I missed a question.. what should I clarify?

Salvation came to all through Jesus, and this includes Abraham, who along with others of the faithful in the Old Testament looked for God's promise of a Redeemer. (read the faith chapter, Heb. 11)
Heb 11:13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
No, I don't believe that people go to heaven or hell until after the coming judgment, but that's a topic for another thread. And everyone in heaven will only be there because Jesus died for them.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:29 PM

Following Sabbath will benefit you...not harm you.

It is not commanded for the Gentiles to follow it.

Those who do follow it and other commandments will be blessed first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Show me keeping the "Sabbath" in the New Testament that pertains to the Gentiles and isn't in a synagogue?

(Colossians 2 16;17)
"So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or Sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ"

Old 10-20-2008, 02:32 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,706 times
Quote:
You're saying that Abraham received the promise...because Jesus died for 'all'.

Are you saying Abraham's sins were covered by the blood of Jesus?

I'm just wondering what verse you're speaking about because the ones that were posted don't teach or say what you're writing about.
Heb. 9:24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:
25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;
26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
Heb 10:1 ¶ For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
7 ¶ Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:34 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
Quote:
Following Sabbath will benefit you...not harm you.

It is not commanded for the Gentiles to follow it.

Those who do follow it and other commandments will be blessed first
It's all God, He gets ALL the glory, none of it is for us. There is nothing, absolutely nothing we can do to get into heaven, God gets all the glory.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:44 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,981 times
God gave the law so that we could see that we cannot live up to the standards. Christ came and paid the penalty that we could never pay. We are free from the law but we do good works, be the best we can, love others, because the Holy Spirit lives in us and leads us that way. We will never be perfect and that helps us to understand God's grace.
What commandment did he leave us...that we love others.
They will know us by our love.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:45 PM

3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. Who is 'we'?

11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.
14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. Who are those that are sanctified?
15Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
16This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; Will is future not past
17And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. 18Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

Quote:
Heb. 9:24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:
25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;
26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
Heb 10:1 ¶ For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
7 ¶ Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity