Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:06 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
For those of you who believe that the 10 commandments are Gods Law and is not done away with, how do you keep the sabbath? Is Saturday the seventh day?
Well, I still think that God's laws are very important for us to still live by. There are people who are strict on which day to keep the sabbath. But I for one read my bible and it does not say that you will go to Hell if you go to church on Sunday. I attend church on Sunday, but don't see the problem if they want to attend on Saturdays.

Keeping the Sabbath is about respecting God and worshipping Him. So, I really don't see the problem with the days, because keeping the day in for God, not us. Now if God said that He was upset over a day, then I would change, but He has not said that to me. So, I think as long as your worshipping and praising God, then their shouldn't be a problem.

But there are some people who are super super religious and will say other wise. But it does not matter as long as God is happy with us, it does not matter what people say or thing.

But I would also like to add that I do worship on Saturday, sunday, monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday. So, does it really matter what day you worship on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 11:46 AM

14,880 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Quote:
But I would also like to add that I do worship on Saturday, sunday, monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday. So, does it really matter what day you worship on?
Agree. Also:

Colossians 2: 16Let no one, then, judge you in eating or in drinking, or in respect of a feast, or of a new moon, or of sabbaths,
17which are a shadow of the coming things, and the body [is] of the Christ; (YLT)

Romans 14
1Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
2For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
3Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
4Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
5One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 03-07-2009 at 11:56 AM..

Old 03-07-2009, 12:03 PM

988 posts, read 1,903,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Well, I still think that God's laws are very important for us to still live by. There are people who are strict on which day to keep the sabbath. But I for one read my bible and it does not say that you will go to Hell if you go to church on Sunday. I attend church on Sunday, but don't see the problem if they want to attend on Saturdays.

Keeping the Sabbath is about respecting God and worshipping Him. So, I really don't see the problem with the days, because keeping the day in for God, not us. Now if God said that He was upset over a day, then I would change, but He has not said that to me. So, I think as long as your worshipping and praising God, then their shouldn't be a problem.

But there are some people who are super super religious and will say other wise. But it does not matter as long as God is happy with us, it does not matter what people say or thing.

"And now for the rest of the story"

Num 15:33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.

Num 15:34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.

Num 15:35 And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.

The basic tenets of New Age thinking include the concepts that "there are no moral absolutes" and "situational ethics.

If there are no moral absolutes then the ten commandments can be set aside if necessary.

If the situation demands that we need to break one of the commandments then we should. (The end justifies the means)

The attitudes of Modern Christianity towards the Sabbath are reflected by many on this forum. They also reflect the New Age thinking which has crept into the church.

For example:

"There are no moral absolutes" = So, I really don't see the problem with the days, because keeping the day in for God, not us.

"Situational ethics" = "If our job demands that we work on the Sabbath to help others or we need to feed our family it is OK with God."

HK

Old 03-07-2009, 12:15 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Quote:
But I would also like to add that I do worship on Saturday, sunday, monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday. So, does it really matter what day you worship on

Amen.
Psalm 34 1I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. (YLT)

God bless.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:20 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
"And now for the rest of the story"

Num 15:33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.

Num 15:34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.

Num 15:35 And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.

The basic tenets of New Age thinking include the concepts that "there are no moral absolutes" and "situational ethics.

If there are no moral absolutes then the ten commandments can be set aside if necessary.

If the situation demands that we need to break one of the commandments then we should. (The end justifies the means)

The attitudes of Modern Christianity towards the Sabbath are reflected by many on this forum. They also reflect the New Age thinking which has crept into the church.

For example:

"There are no moral absolutes" = So, I really don't see the problem with the days, because keeping the day in for God, not us.

"Situational ethics" = "If our job demands that we work on the Sabbath to help others or we need to feed our family it is OK with God."

HK
The scriptures that you are pertaining to are from the Old Testament, under the old law. When Jesus was healing on the Sabbath, He was questioned for it. But Jesus is the Lord of The Sabbath, so Jesus can work on the Sabbath, and what He did was for an example for us. Jesus said that He was doing a new thing, and the Jewish people were not use to the way that Jesus was doing things. Jesus created the Sabbath, so why would He not work on the Sabbath?

When it comes down to working on Sunday, I don't work on Sundays, because I take worshipping God something serious. So, I never work on Sundays. It is never a problem for me, because I never take a Job that requires for me to work on that day. I always let employers know how important church is to me, so I never have a problem. I feel this is probably because of God intervening on my behalf.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:30 PM

396 posts, read 838,010 times
Still wondering why, if the Kupps are super strict on keeping the Sabbath (they keep Saturday), why do they post and use their computers on Satuday?

Old 03-07-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
Still wondering why, if the Kupps are super strict on keeping the Sabbath (they keep Saturday), why do they post and use their computers on Satuday?

Luk 14:5 And answered them, saying, Which of you shall have an ass or an ox fallen into a pit, and will not straightway pull him out on the sabbath day?

Well - we are trying to pull the ass out of the pit - spiritually speaking of course

As Jesus said - it is lawful to do well on the Sabbath and we certainly do not get paid for it - except in insults of course.

Thanks for asking....

HK

Old 03-07-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
The scriptures that you are pertaining to are from the Old Testament, under the old law. When Jesus was healing on the Sabbath, He was questioned for it. But Jesus is the Lord of The Sabbath, so Jesus can work on the Sabbath, and what He did was for an example for us. Jesus said that He was doing a new thing, and the Jewish people were not use to the way that Jesus was doing things. Jesus created the Sabbath, so why would He not work on the Sabbath?

When it comes down to working on Sunday, I don't work on Sundays, because I take worshipping God something serious. So, I never work on Sundays. It is never a problem for me, because I never take a Job that requires for me to work on that day. I always let employers know how important church is to me, so I never have a problem. I feel this is probably because of God intervening on my behalf.

Shawn Are we not to learn how God thinks about matters from His actions recorded in the OT?

1Co 10:5 But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.

1Co 10:6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.

God made a special point of personally ordering the death of one gathering wood on the Sabbath. "Now these things were our examples"

I appreciate your comments on keeping the Sabbath set apart for God. Obviously there is no rebellion in your heart so no willful sin.

However since God did not change the sabbath to Sunday you cannot receive the wonderful promises God made to those who keep what He called "My holy day"...

Isa 58:13 The LORD says, "If you treat the Sabbath as sacred and do not pursue your own interests on that day; if you value my holy day and honor it by not traveling, working, or talking idly on that day,

Isa 58:14 then you will find the joy that comes from serving me. I will make you honored all over the world, and you will enjoy the land I gave to your ancestor, Jacob. I, the LORD, have spoken."

HK

Old 03-07-2009, 02:28 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Please just answer the following questions, Harold:

1. If your wife were to have a serious stroke on the Sabbath, what would you do?

2. If one of your children or grandchildren (provided you have either and they are still young) were to be abducted on the Sabbath, what would you do?

3. If your house were to burst into flames on the Sabbath, what would you do?

I'd seriously like to know. Would you simply not do anything to "get the ox out of the mire" so to speak, until the next day? Would you call for help but refuse to accept it unless the person you reached agreed to refuse to be paid for his services? Would you accept help and then beg God for forgiveness?

Please, just dispense with calling me to repentance for just long enough to answer my questions. I already know what you think of everybody who doesn't believe exactly as you do, so just do that one thing for me, okay?

Old 03-07-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Please just answer the following questions, Harold:

1. If your wife were to have a serious stroke on the Sabbath, what would you do?

2. If one of your children or grandchildren (provided you have either and they are still young) were to be abducted on the Sabbath, what would you do?

3. If your house were to burst into flames on the Sabbath, what would you do?

I'd seriously like to know. Would you simply not do anything to "get the ox out of the mire" so to speak, until the next day? Would you call for help but refuse to accept it unless the person you reached agreed to refuse to be paid for his services? Would you accept help and then beg God for forgiveness?

Please, just dispense with calling me to repentance for just long enough to answer my questions. I already know what you think of everybody who doesn't believe exactly as you do, so just do that one thing for me, okay?

No I will not answer -
HK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity