Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:49 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times

Advertisements

I thought this may be of interest:

Saturday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMHO; "Today" is the day of salvation. The eternal "Now"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 07:29 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
No I will not answer -
HK
See Katzpur . . . QED.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:53 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
No I will not answer -
HK
Why not? Any of these situations could happen to you, or do you believe you're immune to Sabbath misfortune? The only conceivable reason I can think of why you would refuse to answer me is that it would prove that fanaticism can be problematic at times. Anyway, your silence has spoken volumes.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:48 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
Quote:
Shawn Are we not to learn how God thinks about matters from His actions recorded in the OT?

1Co 10:5 But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.

1Co 10:6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.

God made a special point of personally ordering the death of one gathering wood on the Sabbath. "Now these things were our examples"

I appreciate your comments on keeping the Sabbath set apart for God. Obviously there is no rebellion in your heart so no willful sin.

However since God did not change the sabbath to Sunday you cannot receive the wonderful promises God made to those who keep what He called "My holy day"...

Isa 58:13 The LORD says, "If you treat the Sabbath as sacred and do not pursue your own interests on that day; if you value my holy day and honor it by not traveling, working, or talking idly on that day,

Isa 58:14 then you will find the joy that comes from serving me. I will make you honored all over the world, and you will enjoy the land I gave to your ancestor, Jacob. I, the LORD, have spoken."

HK
YEs, everything that was in the OT was for us to learn from, but we are not under the Old Covenant. We are under the New Covenant by Jesus, and Jesus worked on the Sabbath.

It does not say in the New TEstament or under the New Covenant that I or others will not receive any promises from God because we worship on Sunday.

But might I add that I worship God everyday of the week. I don't just worship God in a building. I worship God in my house everyday.

Jesus worked on the Sabbath, and He is our example. He is Lord of the Sabbath and established a New Covenant.

The Sabbath meant not working, but Jesus changed that traditiion because He is God. So, if I follow God, then am I wrong by following His example. Was Jesus wrong for working on a day that He invented?

Old 03-08-2009, 03:04 AM

33 posts, read 62,805 times
The test for any practise is, did the apostles do it? I think that we can agree that their actions constitute a command.

So did the apostles keep the Jewish Sabbath after the crucifixion?

It was on the first day that Mary and others went to seek the Lord's body.

They gathered together on the first day, after the crucifixion, for fear of the Jews. Thomas was not with them. The next first day, the 8th day after, they were gathered and this time Thomas was with them, in expectation of the Lord.

We find them continuing in this manner as when the disciples came together to break bread, it was on the first day of the week.

When the day of Pentecost was fully come, that is, on the first day, they were all in accord and in one place, where they received the promise of the Holy Spirit.

Paul gave express command concerning the collection of the saints, as

upon the first day of the week, let every one of you lay by him store as God has prospered him

From the practice of the apostles this first day came to have the name of the Lord's Day, and it is so called by John who says of himself in the Revelation

I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day

The type signified by the Sabbath was buried with Christ, and Jews continue to this day to honour a dead day as they will not come into the new day of the new creation.

Last edited by enter-His-rest; 03-08-2009 at 04:00 AM..

Old 03-08-2009, 05:32 AM

396 posts, read 838,010 times
Of course he wouldn't comment because he WOULD call 911 if any of those things happened.
I went to Mass last night (since I was on the truck stationed at the hospital and we can't sleep, otherwise I would've gone this morning) and saw quite a number of people that are either in Medicine, Police, Fire...all of whom work (and have to work) on the Sabbath. Nothing wrong with that. Here's another question...just to play "Devil's Advocate" for a minute...shouldn't you avoid using your computer, watching TV, talking on the phone, etc on the Sabbath as well since you pay for those services (using the Kupp's line of thinking here)?

Old 03-08-2009, 07:44 AM

302 posts, read 553,717 times
Default "To Day" will you hear his voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I thought this may be of interest:

Saturday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMHO; "Today" is the day of salvation. The eternal "Now"
"To Day" is a limited time of grace that God has given man to give his opinions and make his decisions and judgments.

Man's day is contrasted to The Lord's Day of judgment in which God will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained.

TO DAY WILL YOU HEAR HIS VOICE?

Old 03-08-2009, 08:24 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
Of course he wouldn't comment because he WOULD call 911 if any of those things happened.
I went to Mass last night (since I was on the truck stationed at the hospital and we can't sleep, otherwise I would've gone this morning) and saw quite a number of people that are either in Medicine, Police, Fire...all of whom work (and have to work) on the Sabbath. Nothing wrong with that. Here's another question...just to play "Devil's Advocate" for a minute...shouldn't you avoid using your computer, watching TV, talking on the phone, etc on the Sabbath as well since you pay for those services (using the Kupp's line of thinking here)?
No, it's ok, morale... the Kupps only refer to the OT laws when speaking to others about working on the Sabbath, but when asked about them not resting, and working on the computer, they refer to Jesus working on the Sabbath. So you see, it's all good.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enter-His-rest View Post
The test for any practise is, did the apostles do it? I think that we can agree that their actions constitute a command.

So did the apostles keep the Jewish Sabbath after the crucifixion?

It was on the first day that Mary and others went to seek the Lord's body.

They gathered together on the first day, after the crucifixion, for fear of the Jews. Thomas was not with them. The next first day, the 8th day after, they were gathered and this time Thomas was with them, in expectation of the Lord.

We find them continuing in this manner as when the disciples came together to break bread, it was on the first day of the week.

When the day of Pentecost was fully come, that is, on the first day, they were all in accord and in one place, where they received the promise of the Holy Spirit.

Paul gave express command concerning the collection of the saints, as

upon the first day of the week, let every one of you lay by him store as God has prospered him

From the practice of the apostles this first day came to have the name of the Lord's Day, and it is so called by John who says of himself in the Revelation

I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day

The type signified by the Sabbath was buried with Christ, and Jews continue to this day to honour a dead day as they will not come into the new day of the new creation.
(The observance of Pentecost was calculated from the "morrow after the sabbath" of Nisan 15 --not the weekly sabbath.)

You have no scriptural authority to change the Sabbath Commandment to Sunday. Learn how men have nicely set aside the commandment of God in order to keep their traditions ...

THE LORD'S DAY

Old 03-08-2009, 08:54 AM

Default Jesus did not profane the Sabbath

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
YEs, everything that was in the OT was for us to learn from, but we are not under the Old Covenant. We are under the New Covenant by Jesus, and Jesus worked on the Sabbath.

It does not say in the New TEstament or under the New Covenant that I or others will not receive any promises from God because we worship on Sunday.

But might I add that I worship God everyday of the week. I don't just worship God in a building. I worship God in my house everyday.

Jesus worked on the Sabbath, and He is our example. He is Lord of the Sabbath and established a New Covenant.

The Sabbath meant not working, but Jesus changed that traditiion because He is God. So, if I follow God, then am I wrong by following His example. Was Jesus wrong for working on a day that He invented?
It is lawful to do good on the sabbath (without pay).

JESUS DID NOT PROFANE THE SABBATH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity