Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2008, 08:18 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times

Advertisements

Hey all C-D Catholics,

In light of Reformation day, was just curious how average lay catholics view the Reformers (Luther, Calvin, Knox, Zwingli, etc...) and/or the Reformation movement, based on what they know about it. It'd be kind of fun to get some perspective from you guys,

Sincerely,
Mackinac (Reformed)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 05:13 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,640 times
You might find this interesting.

To Protestants: HAPPY REFORMATION DAY - Catholic Answers Forums

I have only read thru about a dozen comments.

<><

Old 11-02-2008, 05:15 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hey all C-D Catholics,

In light of Reformation day, was just curious how average lay catholics view the Reformers (Luther, Calvin, Knox, Zwingli, etc...) and/or the Reformation movement, based on what they know about it. It'd be kind of fun to get some perspective from you guys,

Sincerely,
Mackinac (Reformed)

Great question.
As a papist who has been enraged by some of the well reported abuses committed by preists, I can appreciate what may have driven the reformers during a time of other well documented abuses.
There is a temptation ( as a Catholic ) to detach from the Church in anger, but I need to remember that the Church is made up of imperfect people that can mess things up pretty good, and try harder to do my little part as a member of the "Body".
Luther was a courageous man who pointed out some obvious abuses. I don't believe though, that he envisioned such a huge and long lasting schism.
I pray for the day we speak with one voice.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:48 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
( as a Catholic ) try harder to do my little part as a member of the "Body".

I pray for the day we speak with one voice.
Amen.

How wonderful would it be if God's children were not divided and we could celebrate at the table as ONE family.

<><

Old 11-02-2008, 05:56 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,552,954 times
Many of the problems in Luther's 95 theses were resolved in later years
It was a time when salvation was sold for money in the Roman Catholic church

Luther NEVER wanted to separate from the church of Rome, but being excommunicated ..............We all pray for the day we are as one!

Here is a link to the original complaints.

I cannot speak to others, such as anabaptists

Historic Church Documents at Reformed.org

--AND Happy All Saints Day!

Last edited by grannynancy; 11-02-2008 at 06:21 AM..

Old 11-02-2008, 05:58 AM

396 posts, read 838,010 times
I don't generally have a problem with it. To quote my partner at work the other night, "It is what it is." I won't condemn them or their followers as I don't exactly agree with everything in the church either. Where I have a problem is the Protestants and "Ultra-fundies" (although "Ultra-fundies" are protestants, it seems that most main-line protestants aren't as 'hateful' as "Ultra-fundies") that insist that I am in the wrong denomination. It is what it is. If someone has found peace in a protestant denomination, than all the better for them. Where ever you find peace is ok with me, just please don't try to force it upon me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity