Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times

Advertisements

For anyone that has seen any of my other posts you would know that I am quite on the Atheist side. That being said I have a genuine, no bs, no judgment question for you guys on here. The reason I ask here instead of on the RP section is because I didn't want this turning into a 5763 page thread on creation vs evolution (as we have all seen). So I'm not here to ridicule, or be the fly in your soup, this is something I really wanted to know.

Anyhow....

Do you guys really believe that Adam and eve existed with the dinosaurs? In other words, do you think the dino's lived less than 10,000 years ago?

If so, were they left to die in the Noah's Ark flood, or were they on the boat?

The thought that dinosaurs and humans co-existed is pretty new to me, and I wanted to make sure this wasn't just some misinformation attempt - So I came here to get it from the horses mouth (so to speak, I'm pretty sure you guys aren't horses )
Again, I am here to play nice and not to criticize That's why you guys have your own forum so you don't have to deal with the replies from people like me in the more "fair game" forums - so I have no intent to rock the boat.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 07:23 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Ok, fair enough.

It's the only way that it could have been. According to the Bible, everything was created in 6 days, and on the 7th day God rested. We don't know exactly how long a day is to God, but that's not really important. The earth and all of creation were created in 6 consecutive time spans.

The entire earth probably was not populated during the time of the flood. It makes sense that the dinosaurs were placed wherever humans were not, to keep under control the land that was not yet populated. Did dinosaurs and humans have run-ins? Possibly, it's just not mentioned in the Bible.

Since they were so large and dangerous, even if they were around humans at the time of the flood they could not have been put on the ark. I just don't believe they occupied the same space as humans, therefore Noah would have had no knowledge of their existance. It was more about the human race surviving, which would not have happened with gigantic man-eating monsters on the ark.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:45 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
If I don't necessarily believe in YEC does that mean I'm not a fundie? Is that an absolute to be a fundie? Where are the fundie rules? I agree with everything else, unless you have to be a KJVer to be fundie.

To answer the question, yes. Many, perhaps most fundamentalists believe that man and dinosaurs walked the earth together. They would have to if the earth is only 10,000 years old or so. Some people also believe that some dinosaurs could have survived until fairly recently in tropical climates. But most believe that dinos died off because the earth changed so drastically at the time of Noah's flood.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:50 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
The bible is NOT a history book, period!!! It is eternal Scripture to inform our spiritual development.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:39 PM

980 posts, read 1,147,139 times
In regards to dinosaurs being on Noah's Ark, he could have taken dinosaur eggs and/or dinosaur babies.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:56 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The bible is NOT a history book, period!!! It is eternal Scripture to inform our spiritual development.
I look at the Bible as the owners manual for your life.It's ALL in there.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:02 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
For anyone that has seen any of my other posts you would know that I am quite on the Atheist side. That being said I have a genuine, no bs, no judgment question for you guys on here. The reason I ask here instead of on the RP section is because I didn't want this turning into a 5763 page thread on creation vs evolution (as we have all seen). So I'm not here to ridicule, or be the fly in your soup, this is something I really wanted to know.

Anyhow....

Do you guys really believe that Adam and eve existed with the dinosaurs? In other words, do you think the dino's lived less than 10,000 years ago?

If so, were they left to die in the Noah's Ark flood, or were they on the boat?

The thought that dinosaurs and humans co-existed is pretty new to me, and I wanted to make sure this wasn't just some misinformation attempt - So I came here to get it from the horses mouth (so to speak, I'm pretty sure you guys aren't horses )
Again, I am here to play nice and not to criticize That's why you guys have your own forum so you don't have to deal with the replies from people like me in the more "fair game" forums - so I have no intent to rock the boat.

Thanks.
First to answer your question it depends on what you think a dinosaur is. Many people today are saying that birds are dinosaurs and others say that turtles and crockodiles are dinosaurs. So, if that is the case than yes they exist with us today.

I think you are refering to fossilized T-Rex's and Raptors. So, to answer this, I say yes they lived with humans, just not today. From the perspective of the bible, all land based creatures were created on day six of the creation week. A day is a day. So, yes creation week was just one week like we experience now. Since dinosaurs (lizards, dragons or whatever else you want to call them) are land based animals they were created with humans.

Did dinosaurs eat humans? No, our Jurasic park idea of dinosaurs is squed from reality. All animals prior to the flood ate vegitation per the bible. That is humans and all other animals. Sharp teeth do not dictate diet (or dentation does not dictate diet) which has been discussed in other threads.

Did dinosaurs go on the Ark of Noah's day? Yes, God preserved all life. Since dinosaurs were herbavoirs they were no threat. Animals could have been brought on board in their infant state. Also, the bible is clear that "Kind" of animals were preserved and not "Species". Animal Kinds are more closely related to Family in the classification system. So, God preserved the horse kind, which includes the horse, donkey and zebra. From the original horse kind comes the variety of horses/donkeys etc. we see today from the Shettland pony to the Clydsdale and yes Zebra.

Living fossils. Some animals in the fossil reccord, once thought to be extinct are alive today. For example the coelacanth sp. was thought to have lived 330 million years ago. Today it is fished off the coasts of Madagascar. The great silver ape was a legend until the 1950's, now everyone does not doubt the existance of the gentle and giant animals. So, will we discover more extinct animals alive today? I think yes, because there are vast areas of the world that lay undiscovered. Some places like the Congo basin cannot be penetrated by scientists becuase of the civil wars and places in indonesia and Papua New Guinea or the deep Australia are remote and difficult to penetrate. So, as humanity advances, as new tracking methods, trasportation methods, reccording methods are developed then more will come to light. Consider the vast oceans that have not been explored, there must be many new see creatures that no one has laid their eyes upon.

As far as dating the world and the bible, the bible puts creation at 4004 BC per Ussher, who did a very good job at it. That would be 6012 years ago from today.

I think the real question is do you believe the earth is 4.5 billion years old which is contrary to what we see in nature?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:10 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I look at the Bible as the owners manual for your life.It's ALL in there.
Well since there is no mention of dino's, it's NOT ALL in there.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:40 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post

Old 12-03-2008, 08:15 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
The word Dinosaur was coined in 1950 by Leakey. So, this term would not be found in the bible. The word dragon is mentioned however. If you saw a T-Rex you may describe it as a dragon if you did not know the word dinosaur.

Also see Job 40: 15: Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.
16: Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.
17: He moveth his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together.
18: His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron.
19: He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him.
20: Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play.
21: He lieth under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens.
22: The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about.
23: Behold, he drinketh up a river, and hasteth not: he trusteth that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth.
24: He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares.

This large creature which is the "Chief of the ways of God" is a large creature with a tail like a Cedar Tree (Long and tapered). This sounds like a sauropod to me. See how it says "which I made with thee". Or, created at the same time as you.

Chapter 41 of Job describes the Leviathan a large creature with scales. So, this is not a whale, but rather some large sea creature that we have not seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity