Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 07:32 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,738 times

Advertisements

To all those who are Christians. Where do you believe we go after we die? I have came to think that after much study that we don't go to heaven immediately after dieing....because of the scriptures that say the dead will raise upon his return. Not looking for any arguements...looking for scripturally sound posts and truely want to know your opinions so I may study it for myself so that I might be enlightened with more knowledge.
God Bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 08:19 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,441,578 times
My mother, God bless her soul passed away 8 weeks ago. I know she is resting in Christ Jesus. I know that on that great day, she too will rise first, and those that are alive and remain, shall be caught up together with them/mommy in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so shall we always be with the Lord. I'm comforted by these words and so should you. This is His promise to us. You know His very nature is truth. He cannot tell a lie. Therefore, I place my life in His hands. It's a wonderful place to be.

Your sister in Christ Jesus

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 12-05-2008 at 08:34 PM..

Old 12-05-2008, 08:28 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
To all those who are Christians. Where do you believe we go after we die? I have came to think that after much study that we don't go to heaven immediately after dieing....because of the scriptures that say the dead will raise upon his return. Not looking for any arguements...looking for scripturally sound posts and truely want to know your opinions so I may study it for myself so that I might be enlightened with more knowledge.
God Bless
What about Lazarus and the rich man? Lazarus was carried straight to heaven by Angels. But then there's the "dead in Christ". I don't have a denomination per se, but I lean more towards Southern Baptist. According to what is believed by some Baptists, not all mind you, but some believe that when the dead in Christ is referenced, it means the physical, earthly dead bodies of those who have died will be resurrected to be "reunited" with their heavenly body.

That has to do with the Rapture process. So when it says "the dead in Christ shall rise first" it means that the earthly body will rise up to meet the heavenly body in the air, and that those who are left (Christians) who are still alive will be taken up in the air, and will never actually experience an earthly death. I believe this also.

How will we be able to recognize each other in heaven, like the Bible suggests, if we do not put back on the face and bodies that we had on earth? They will be perfected, of course, but we will have to have our earthly bodies to be recognized. I mean, when you think about it, it makes complete sense.

So to answer your question, I think we all go to our eternal destinations as soon as we die. I think there is a type of "slumber" that we may or may not experience, depending on what God has planned for us. There is mention in the Bible of "being awakened from slumber" (can't remember who or where in the Bible right at the moment) referring to someone who had already died, but was awakened for a particular reason. I'm just talking about those who die and have gone to heaven. Those who go to hell.....well....I think they go straight there immediately, and stay there. There may be a "not so hot" hell waiting room until judgment, but they will definitely be waiting in hell/hades.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:44 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,164,304 times
I agree with Sherry and Betsey and believe that when we die, we actually die with our spirits returning to God. We are not consciously alive in heaven. I believe that when we die we are dead, but Jesus referred to it as sleeping and this is because the death state is only temporary. Jesus has the keys to life and death and those that are in Him are resting in Him until the resurrection. If people are actually living in heaven when they die, what is the need for a resurrection? They will already be alive, and will not have really died... and I believe that this belief takes away from the glory of the resurrection, because we are saying that people have not really died. Here are some scriptural references on one of my fave Christian sites:

FACTS FROM THE SCRIPTURES CONCERNING DEATH (http://www.gtft.org/Library/kirk/FactsFromTheScripturesConcerningDeath.htm - broken link)
(caps from the website link)
God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-05-2008 at 09:37 PM..

Old 12-05-2008, 08:54 PM

810 posts, read 1,437,667 times
Well, I know my belief is not the popular one, but I do believe it is scripturally sound.

I believe that God created humans to live on Earth. He created humans as living souls...not with a soul separate from our bodies.

When we die, we are asleep in death, not conscious of anything. I believe the resurrection is an earthly resurrection for the majority, to live on an earth restored to God's orginal plan. The earth will be ruled by a heavenly government w/ Jesus as king...no man government with boundaries or warring nations. Those not worthy of this will be cut off eternally...nonexistent, just like Satan and his demons.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
My mother, God bless her soul passed away 8 weeks ago. I know she is resting in Christ Jesus. I know that on that great day, she too will rise first, and those that are alive and remain, shall be caught up together with them/mommy in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so shall we always be with the Lord. I'm comforted by these words and so should you. This is His promise to us. You know His very nature is truth. He cannot tell a lie. Therefore, I place my life in His hands. It's a wonderful place to be.

Your sister in Christ Jesus

Thank you Betsey Lane. Those words always comfort me also. I was just wondering if there was any place in the bible that says where we are--what we are doing before the Lord returns. I, myself, have never found anything. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I think Catholics believe in Purgetory? Maybe I didn't spell that right. But I don't know that it is in the the Bible...or at least I haven't seen it. I am always seeking knowledge about the word of God. My belief is that if it isn't in the bible then it isn't justified. I'm not even saying that the Catholics aren't right...I'd just have to see it in the Bible to believe for myself.

BTW--I see your posts on here occasionally--you are doing good. God would be pleased. You handle things quite well without "argueing" like I have seen so many do. For a personal belief for myself...I believe the bible is not open to interpretation. I take it literally. However, I don't fault those who do not believe the same as me, as long as they have a scriptural basis for what they are saying and they have truely read the Bible and understand. We should all believe that He died for our sins and that someday we will be with Him.

I'm sorry about the loss of your Mother. May God be with you in your time of loss. I will pray for you. I know your faith in the Lord is strong--so you know we will all be taken up some day.
God Bless,
Sherry

Old 12-05-2008, 08:58 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,907 times
Quote:
God Bless
I believe that as a child of God, my spirit will not experience death. My flesh does, as ALL flesh dies and cannot inherit the Kingdom of Heaven due to it's once sinful nature. But Jesus gave us life. If our spirit is reborn, then how can it die? It cannot. I looked up Acts 2:34 and it is quoting Psalms 110:1, and until Christ ascended first, David could not ascend. Why? No "ladder" was there. Jesus says:

Jhn 6:62"
{What} then if you see the Son of Man ascending to where He was before? "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:20 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
God Bless
I believe they are in Paradise. I believe the believers and the unbelievers will be sent to temporary holding places; Paradise and Hades.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:28 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,441,578 times
The Comfort of Christ Coming

13. But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope.
14. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.
15. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep.

You asked, what are we doing until the Lord comes..............................we are either sleeping/resting in Christ Jesus, or we are doing what we are doing now, spreading the good news that He's soon coming, my friend. And we know that He is coming soon right?

About mommy, don't be sorry. I'm okay now. I still miss her terribly, but I would'nt want her back not even for a day, knowing she is resting in her Saviour. I'll see her again. That's the promise from our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Our hope. As long as you obey and repent and obey and repent on a daily basis, did I say obey and repent? (Smile) Obey Jesus. Repent daily. Do what He asked of you to do. Forget the Catholic and Pergotary. Follow Jesus till it's all said and done and you'll be fine. God's blessing to you too.

Yor sister in Christ Jesus

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 12-05-2008 at 09:46 PM..

Old 12-05-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotl View Post
What about Lazarus and the rich man? Lazarus was carried straight to heaven by Angels. But then there's the "dead in Christ". I don't have a denomination per se, but I lean more towards Southern Baptist. According to what is believed by some Baptists, not all mind you, but some believe that when the dead in Christ is referenced, it means the physical, earthly dead bodies of those who have died will be resurrected to be "reunited" with their heavenly body.

That has to do with the Rapture process. So when it says "the dead in Christ shall rise first" it means that the earthly body will rise up to meet the heavenly body in the air, and that those who are left (Christians) who are still alive will be taken up in the air, and will never actually experience an earthly death. I believe this also.

How will we be able to recognize each other in heaven, like the Bible suggests, if we do not put back on the face and bodies that we had on earth? They will be perfected, of course, but we will have to have our earthly bodies to be recognized. I mean, when you think about it, it makes complete sense.

So to answer your question, I think we all go to our eternal destinations as soon as we die. I think there is a type of "slumber" that we may or may not experience, depending on what God has planned for us. There is mention in the Bible of "being awakened from slumber" (can't remember who or where in the Bible right at the moment) referring to someone who had already died, but was awakened for a particular reason. I'm just talking about those who die and have gone to heaven. Those who go to hell.....well....I think they go straight there immediately, and stay there. There may be a "not so hot" hell waiting room until judgment, but they will definitely be waiting in hell/hades.

Hi DOTL,
Good to see you "out" again. I seem to remember some of what you are saying. About the dead being reunited with their heavenly body..is that a scripture? If so, where. I read and read and READ the bible-yet there is always something I've missed.
I go to a Baptist church and have heard different things stated about this. I could have gone to church and asked this same question but something led me to ask it here. Besides, I am usually the quiet one in church--absorbing everthing that is being said. I rarely "speak up" and when I do I think almost everyone has a fainting feeling. lol....
Am I a "true" Baptist? I don't even know. All I know is I believe in The Word of God. Who truely knows even what the meaning of a "true Baptist" is? I know there are several different beliefs even within our church. I, personally, go to church for the Lord and myself. I enjoy the fellowship. You said it before--where there are two or more gathered....
God Bless,
Sherry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity