Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:10 PM

221 posts, read 379,812 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm copy/pasting everything (not the snake stuff, though, icky icky)
and going to try to beat it into my brain. As I get older, stuff just can't seem
to get in there like it used to. Thank you all for your tremendous help to me.

I'm interested in that book Strong's concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon. Does it have a link online? It is totally cool how this digital stuff works....put a word in search and bingo....all immediately at finger tips.

How does a person know how to pronounce the Hebrew/Greek words?
I've heard that many times the Hebrew/Greek words mean lots of things
at the same time and that Bible researchers look at all the places in the Bible
where that particular word is used to see really what the word's instance means in a particular passage. The researchers know how many times
a word is used.

Is there ANY passage that everyone agrees upon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 07:44 PM

Okay, I'm thinking about all of this now.

I'm thinking that people who do not believe in Jesus, but still believe in God
may have troubles somewhere along the line. For instance, the Jewish religion or the Muslim religion. Hey, these people are totally big on God, faithful, try real hard etc, but don't acknowledge Jesus as savior. That is their only fault.
Yet the Bible says that they are saved because God is all loving. And especially the Jews...these are His chosen!

Also, I can't agree with this statement: "Satan can not touch a saved person without God's permission first." I believe that Satan can and does steal baptized people into his camp away from God. In fact, I know this can happen because I saw it happen. A girl was gang raped. The "advocate" working the case asked the mother if the hospital could use the abortion pill on the minor. The mother was out of it and paused for at least twenty minutes...thinking what to do morally...finally decided, nope that pill is eternal death to the mother and the daughter. An accidental pregnancy can result in adoption...then so be it if their is pregnancy. The mother verbally said NO to the advocate, but it was too late. The advocate lied on the forms and then lied to the mother that the law said that the minor could overrule whatever the mother said. The advocate had been the one to make the decision to give the pill. Now, ALL are in Satan's camp...the child for the abortion, the mother for not speaking up immediately, and especially the advocate for being Satan in the flesh. God would never have agreed to Satan
doing this.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:09 AM

777 posts, read 1,441,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limapie View Post
Okay, I'm copy/pasting everything (not the snake stuff, though, icky icky)
and going to try to beat it into my brain. As I get older, stuff just can't seem
to get in there like it used to. Thank you all for your tremendous help to me.

I'm interested in that book Strong's concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon. Does it have a link online? It is totally cool how this digital stuff works....put a word in search and bingo....all immediately at finger tips.

How does a person know how to pronounce the Hebrew/Greek words?
I've heard that many times the Hebrew/Greek words mean lots of things
at the same time and that Bible researchers look at all the places in the Bible
where that particular word is used to see really what the word's instance means in a particular passage. The researchers know how many times
a word is used.

Is there ANY passage that everyone agrees upon?
e-Sword - the Sword of the LORD with an electronic edge (free)
It comes with a KJV with Strong’s Concordance.
You can get other Bible versions. (also free)
I’d recommend the KJV-red letter, because it is actually readable – not all broken up with concordance numbers.
Also the LIT (Literal), and the ESV (English Standard).

You can do searches. (Ctrl-S)
A search shows how many times an English word appears in that version of the Bible.

Looking at other Bible versions will help you with meaning.
Also, look at the context and the context of other instances of the (original language) word in question.

There is a phonic spelling (there's probably a specific word for what I mean) to help you with pronunciation.

Last edited by Richio; 12-14-2008 at 03:23 AM..

Old 12-14-2008, 09:32 AM

558 posts, read 1,836,254 times
Quote:

may have troubles somewhere along the line. For instance, the Jewish religion or the Muslim religion. Hey, these people are totally big on God, faithful, try real hard etc, but don't acknowledge Jesus as savior. That is their only fault.
Yet the Bible says that they are saved because God is all loving. And especially the Jews...these are His chosen!
The Jews do not believe in Satan or Jesus so of course they will interpret Gen 3:15 differently.

If you ask the question on a Christian forum you are bound to get a Christian answer. Jesus fulfilled the Old Testement prophecies, the Jews rejected their messiah because he was not the political leader that they had hoped for. They were blinded by God in order to bring salvation to the gentiles.

Quote:
Also, I can't agree with this statement: "Satan can not touch a saved person without God's permission first." I believe that Satan can and does steal baptized people into his camp away from God. In fact, I know this can happen because I saw it happen. A girl was gang raped. The "advocate" working the case asked the mother if the hospital could use the abortion pill on the minor. The mother was out of it and paused for at least twenty minutes...thinking what to do morally...finally decided, nope that pill is eternal death to the mother and the daughter. An accidental pregnancy can result in adoption...then so be it if their is pregnancy. The mother verbally said NO to the advocate, but it was too late. The advocate lied on the forms and then lied to the mother that the law said that the minor could overrule whatever the mother said. The advocate had been the one to make the decision to give the pill. Now, ALL are in Satan's camp...the child for the abortion, the mother for not speaking up immediately, and especially the advocate for being Satan in the flesh. God would never have agreed to Satan
doing this.
Read the book of Job for a better understanding. Good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people. The Bible never said that life was fair. Look at what happened to the early apostles. Look at what Jesus went through.

I don't care who is baptized or what their church pastor tells them. Salvation can not be earned or kept and no one (including Satan and ourselves obviously) can snatch them away. The unsaved do not understand this because the things of God are foolishness to them.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:28 PM

Thank you for your replies. Been busy with the season so haven't had
a lot of time for computer forums. Wait until January!

Old 12-15-2008, 08:36 PM

Okay,,,,now I'm onto the word "ungrateful."
I saw the Iraq people protesting in the streets and I
felt that this was a mass showing of ingratitude.
It is painful to watch these men who now can have a
life free from being bulldozed into an open grave and
buried alive, wasting their time, rallying around hate.

Yet....I've been ungrateful, too. Like a spoiled child
I've stayed away from church because some crappy
people there made me feel stupid. I felt a call to return
when God himself (it couldn't have been anything else)
helped me. Now, I go to church, but to worship God
and that's it. I don't want to be ungrateful to God
ever again.

Where in the Bible does it talk about this stuff above
ungrateful, repentance for ungrateful?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:10 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Quote:

doing this.
Limapie, you appear to be very sincere in your desire for God and his word but I must comment on some theological stances you make here that do not line up with God's word.

While there are scriptures that line up with God's plan for the Jewish people, to say that Muslims are all his? Where do you get any biblical basis for this? Where do you believe that Allah is the God of the bible, the triune God: God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit?

Two verses among many throughout scripture:

John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
and the next, I add the preceding verses to show this is Jesus that is being mentioned:
Acts 4:8-12
8Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them: "Rulers and elders of the people! 9If we are being called to account today for an act of kindness shown to a cripple and are asked how he was healed, 10then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. 11He is
" 'the stone you builders rejected,
which has become the capstone. 12Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."
As God's word does not contradict itself, any coming to salvation for the Jews will still come through the one and only Messiah, the Lord Jesus Christ.

And the judgment of the lady and the daughter at the hospital? The woman made a godly decision in a state of distress? Why are you holding her accountable? How do you know a conception had taken place anyway? And even if it had, where is there any place in scripture that labels an abortion as an unforgiveable sin? Even the most ardent pro lifers that I know (and I consider myself one of them) know of the power of the blood of Jesus to forgive and restore.

Limapie, I encourage you in your study to focus on the grace of Jesus, the power of the cross and get a clear understanding of salvation before you start worrying about enmity in Genesis 3. I say this in all love and compassion. Blessings on you and your study of God's word.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:09 PM

Points well made, Saintmarks. I never said that I knew what God's way was.
I've always and probably will always be totally ignorant of who will and won't be saved at the end of time. I can't possibly know these things as you who have probably studied your whole life, had good instructing parents, a wonderful church to guide you, the benefit of books and whatnot.

Well, you are correct. I can't expound upon enmity like I had hoped. I can't get it into my thick head. And I've since rethought ungrateful.
The Muslim who threw the shoe wasn't ungrateful at all! He was frustrated and reacting on that frustration. He prays five times a day. He does good works every minute. All he wants to produce is peace and live in it, but some other powers greater than him have decided to make his backyard a theater for war. And then there are some other powerful people that are insane living in Iran who've got it into their heads to insight nuclear war with the power that puts war in this thrower's backyard! This poor man was frustrated and scared, and therefore cast his shoe in frustration that he had lost control over his own self, his own backyard, his own destiny! The men in the streets identified with the shoe thrower and raised him on a pedestal as a hero who had the guts to tell the powerful how bad they were being to them--- the good people. All the reactionaries were not ungrateful at all! All were arrogant! They figured that they were purely without sin and therefore had the right to lash out at others who were disrupting their "sinless" environment. They had the right to cast the first shoe. The reporter was their "savior."

I may be somewhat dumb, but I do remember that Jesus told us that all are sinners. I do remember that Jesus said that only those who realized this and repented would be someday with him in heaven. And I do remember that Jesus said that to even be able to realize that you are a sinner and admit it, you have to rely completely on God. If a person doesn't, then they are arrogant. Satan jumps at a chance to steal a person away when the person puts God on a backburner. If God is on a backburner, then there is absolutely NO chance for Jesus to forgive and restore.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:22 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Quote:
Points well made, Saintmarks. I never said that I knew what God's way was.
I've always and probably will always be totally ignorant of who will and won't be saved at the end of time. I can't possibly know these things as you who have probably studied your whole life, had good instructing parents, a wonderful church to guide you, the benefit of books and whatnot.

Well, you are correct. I can't expound upon enmity like I had hoped. I can't get it into my thick head. And I've since rethought ungrateful.
The Muslim who threw the shoe wasn't ungrateful at all! He was frustrated and reacting on that frustration. He prays five times a day. He does good works every minute. All he wants to produce is peace and live in it, but some other powers greater than him have decided to make his backyard a theater for war. And then there are some other powerful people that are insane living in Iran who've got it into their heads to insight nuclear war with the power that puts war in this thrower's backyard! This poor man was frustrated and scared, and therefore cast his shoe in frustration that he had lost control over his own self, his own backyard, his own destiny! The men in the streets identified with the shoe thrower and raised him on a pedestal as a hero who had the guts to tell the powerful how bad they were being to them--- the good people. All the reactionaries were not ungrateful at all! All were arrogant! They figured that they were purely without sin and therefore had the right to lash out at others who were disrupting their "sinless" environment. They had the right to cast the first shoe. The reporter was their "savior."

I may be somewhat dumb, but I do remember that Jesus told us that all are sinners. I do remember that Jesus said that only those who realized this and repented would be someday with him in heaven. And I do remember that Jesus said that to even be able to realize that you are a sinner and admit it, you have to rely completely on God. If a person doesn't, then they are arrogant. Satan jumps at a chance to steal a person away when the person puts God on a backburner. If God is on a backburner, then there is absolutely NO chance for Jesus to forgive and restore.
Limapie, the good acts of a muslim do not answer the question of what does one do with one's sin in the presence of a Holy God. Neither does much of the acts and practices found in the Christian "religion." When Jesus walked the earth, the ones he spoke to with the most harshness were the religious leaders. Why? Because they thought that by keeping the law, they were holy.

Any belief system that relies on what one does to make himself right before God is destined to failure. That is why Jesus was so adamant with the pharisees and saducees, the religious powers of his day. He called them some harsh names like "brood of vipers" "hypocrites" and "white washed toombs filled with dead mens bones."

Keeping any set of religious rules or laws does not cleanse one of sin. If anyone can claim rightness with God by religious observence, then these pharisees would be at the top of the list. But Jesus had none of that.

All this to say, Limapie, that religious zealousness does not impress God. What impresses God is perfection. OH ME! No one is perfect! But there was one, Jesus. He lived a perfect life, was tempted in every way as we are, yet without sin. His sacrifice was a perfect one. He took my sins and your sins, ALL of them to the cross and his death was the penalty of our sins. There is no more sacrifice for sin, the perfect sacrifice for your sins has been offered. Enough.

Limapie, when you come in repentance to the cross, confess you sin and your need for a savior, Jesus comes in and resides. He makes your spirit alive. You are a new creation, the old has passed away, the new has come.

You are born again, you are now a child of God, a son, a daughter, adopted by your Father in heaven. He will not disinherit you, will not disown you.

Do we fail? Yes! What then? We confess our sins one to another, we receive forgiveness and we then in turn forgive ourselves.

If you hold youself in unforgiveness, if you look at yourself and say "I am a failure before God" when God himself has proclaimed you clean and right before him -- not on your own acts, but by the sacrifice of Jesus on your behalf -- you in essence are setting yourself above the throne of God. Really -- who are we to not forgive ourselves when God himself has forgiven us! It sounds humble to go around and put ourselves down, but in fact it is arrogance and prideful to do so as we are proclaiming our ownselves a higher judge than God who has pronounced us clean and forgiven but the righteousness of Jesus that has been imputed to us.

Limapie, please, find a good church that will love you and preach the message of grace and the cross and your rightstanding before the Lord. Find a family that believes in restoration and healing of the soul.

I am praying for you......

Old 12-18-2008, 12:47 PM
RSH

147 posts, read 258,219 times
Quote:
I started this thread again to get noticed.
I have to understand this word enmity by Tuesday
Please help me!!!!!

It says, "God set enmity between you and woman..." What is enmity?

Webster says "psoitive, active , and typically mutual hatred or ill will" and "enmity suggest positive hatred which may be open or concealed <an unspoken enmity>

Positive???????? How can ill will be positive?

I've got to fully understand this word!
Please give real life examples
Why didn't they say some other word here?

Other words in the Webster enmity quote were Hostility, antipathy, antagonism, animosity, rancor, animus

animus means deep-seated dislike or ill will
hostility suggests an enmity showing itself in attacks or aggression <Hostility between the two nations>
antipathy and antagonism imply a natural or logical basis for one's hatred or dislike
antipathy suggesting repugnance, a desire to avoid or reject
antagonism suggesting a clash of temperaments leading readily to hostility
<a natural antipathy for self-seekers> etc etc..
I believe it means strife
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity