Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:58 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,813,430 times

Advertisements

Anyone else feel the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 AM

414 posts, read 777,123 times
Thumbs up Not the same ....

... and currently sceptical of similarities

Seeking pathways to thorough and honest understanding. Knowing reincarnations and "Christianity".

Old 01-04-2009, 10:17 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,569,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
You do know as a Christian you are to follow God's word. Their is no mention of the concept of reincarnation in the bible.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-04-2009 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-04-2009, 10:32 AM

987 posts, read 1,119,368 times
HI Kramercat,

I can't say that I do. Many years ago I was on a Christian forum where many of the posters including the forum owner believed in reincarnation. I could not see the passages they cited as giving any credence to that idea.

I don't see how the resurrection would be our greatest hope if we would have multiple lifetimes before that time. I also don't see what purpose it would serve to start over and over again from square one. I do believe that we are resurrected into a better future age where there will be much learning and blessings when the Kingdom of Christ will be overtly ruling and bringing all the inhabitants into all truth and they will learn righteousness.

There are several times in Paul's letters where he could have easily brought up reincarnation if that was truth to comfort Christians whose loved ones had died. In Hebrews 11:40 the author assures his readers that none of the saints that had died before would be perfected ahead of them. Heb. 11:40. This is NOT proof that there is no reincarnation for many doctrines could be made much clearer. However scripture does say we are destined to die once and THEN the judgment. Are we judged many times as different people? That does not make sense to me. To me Christianity is one of the most appealing 'religions' because of the inherent promise that we will remain who we are always, in our core being, radically changed in our knowledge and holiness, of course, but I find it disturbing to think that I would have memories of many different lives.

If that appeals to you, however, there is liberty. Some give great weight and credence to 'memories' of many past lives when a person is placed under hypnosis. I give it about as much credence as the NDE's I have read about. It is not anything I have experience with and, therefore, cannot reconcile it to my thoughts up to this point.

I hope you discover peace and joy in the Lord, regardless of what you are led to in your searching.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 AM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
You do know as a Christian you are to follow God's word. Their is no mention of reincarnation in the bible.
As usual . . . your certainty is belied by a literal expectation that the word reincarnation would be used. Transmigration or reincarnation as currently explained cannot be completely ruled out. A vague reference by Jesus to an imprisonment hints at the possibility, in Luke 12:58,

. . . When thou art going with thy opponent to the ruler, take pains to be quit of him on the way; lest he deliver thee to the judge, and the judge to the officer, and the officer cast thee into prison. I say to thee, thou wilt not come out from it until thou hast paid the very last mite.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:44 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,569,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As usual . . . your certainty is belied by a literal expectation that the word reincarnation would be used. Transmigration or reincarnation as currently explained cannot be completely ruled out. A vague reference by Jesus to an imprisonment hints at the possibility, in Luke 12:58,

. . . When thou art going with thy opponent to the ruler, take pains to be quit of him on the way; lest he deliver thee to the judge, and the judge to the officer, and the officer cast thee into prison. I say to thee, thou wilt not come out from it until thou hast paid the very last mite.
Uhhhhhh, no! that is silly. The concept of reincarnation is completely without foundation in the Bible. That is a stretch from the passage you gave but what's new, now if you are looking for a passage that hints to evidence of reincarnation, (Matthew 17:10–12) "10 The disciples asked him, “Why then do the teachers of the law say that Elijah must come first?” 11 Jesus replied, “To be sure, Elijah comes and will restore all things. 12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and they did not recognize him, but have done to him....."

Other than that nothing but contradictions to reincarnation (Hebrews 9:27) 27 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,

(Luke 23:43) 43 Jesus answered him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”

(Matthew 25:46) 46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

and I can go on. Belief in reincarnation is an ancient central tenet within the majority of Indian religious traditions, such as Hinduism, sikhism etc......definitely NOT CHRISTIAN.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-04-2009 at 10:53 AM..

Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 AM

987 posts, read 1,119,368 times
sorry, posted thisin the wrong place

Old 01-04-2009, 12:55 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,390,903 times
I agree with Fundamentalist, belief in reincarnation is not Christian, it is not Biblical. There are no do overs, no second chances. Jesus did not tell the thief on the cross, don't worry you'll get another chance. This is just another attempt by satan to blind and confuse people.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:51 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,699,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I agree with Fundamentalist, belief in reincarnation is not Christian, it is not Biblical. There are no do overs, no second chances. Jesus did not tell the thief on the cross, don't worry you'll get another chance. This is just another attempt by satan to blind and confuse people.
Amen!
Lots of confusion going on these days! But there is hope in Christ Jesus!

Heb.9:27-28
And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eargerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.

2 Corinthians 5:10-11
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. Knowing, therefore, the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are well known by God, and I also trust are well known in your consciences.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:02 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
I don't, but I'm curious as to why you do, and would enjoy discussing this with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity