Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 01:28 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,865 times

Advertisements

I was reading this passage for another reason but funny how other things can come to mind....

1 Timothy 6:11-16

11But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. 12Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 13In the sight of God, who gives life to everything, and of Christ Jesus, who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you 14to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15which God will bring about in his own time—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

We all come from different life experiences, different understandings of one book, and all with a great deal of passion because we each believe we are right. But in all of this "trying to undertand the truth" comes so many unfruitful things. I can't help but be sad when a person posts that if they hadn't been an atheist before after reading on this forum they would be after our interactions with each other......
We are all trying to fight the good fight of faith. Maybe we should spend more time understanding each other, whether right or wrong, in order to help each other in our walks. I pray God shows each of us His truth and may we be the light He is calling us to be so that others will know him too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 01:34 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
I was reading this passage for another reason but funny how other things can come to mind....

1 Timothy 6:11-16

11But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. 12Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 13In the sight of God, who gives life to everything, and of Christ Jesus, who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you 14to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15which God will bring about in his own timeā€”God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

We all come from different life experiences, different understandings of one book, and all with a great deal of passion because we each believe we are right. But in all of this "trying to undertand the truth" comes so many unfruitful things. I can't help but be sad when a person posts that if they hadn't been an atheist before after reading on this forum they would be after our interactions with each other......
We are all trying to fight the good fight of faith. Maybe we should spend more time understanding each other, whether right or wrong, in order to help each other in our walks. I pray God shows each of us His truth and may we be the light He is calling us to be so that others will know him too.
...amen.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:38 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,168,113 times
I hear you, little thirsty. Thank you.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:43 PM

Its interesting to really look at the highlighted words to me. One of them comes so easliy to me and I feel very blessed for that and that is faith. I have a strong faith through both the good and bad of my lifetime. I see the good in the bad. I am thankful God gave me that blessing. But then I look and others on that list are so hard for me. WHat about ya'll or tee hee hee, you guys.....is one easier than another for you?
The weird thing is I think love can be one of the hardest. I mean its easy for me to love Big Thirsty. He is a gentle and supportive husband, he is loving, he is a wonderful dad...so for me, it is easy to love him. But to love my enemy? To love those who have hurt me the most...that is such a big calling. Not to just say....I love him/her, but to really mean it.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:44 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,063,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post

I can't help but be sad when a person posts that if they hadn't been an atheist before after reading on this forum they would be after our interactions with each other......

Sanspeur probably knows the bible as well as anyone. He made his choice a long time ago. Let's just say he knows how to bait a hook.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:48 PM

I think love is the easiest for me. Gentleness is the hardest.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:51 PM

I wonder how much spiritual gifts play a role in what is easier for some over others?

Old 01-15-2009, 01:51 PM

I always wonder that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity