Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:38 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,633,251 times

Advertisements

I am asking this with candour and not to inflame anyone. But is it possible to consider yourself Christian if you buy from multi national corporations who violate human rights, employ children and adults in appalling and slave conditions.

Would Jesus for example shop at Wal-Mart or buy Nike sneakers should he walk the earth now ? Would not a man of peace who preached love and tolerance be the first one calling for a boycott of non ethically traded goods ? Would he not fight for the right of the people who are exploited and trafficked every day in the name of greed ?

Isn't part of being a Christian, ensuring that human rights and human dignity is preserved in the domestic and foreign trade markets ? If god created the earth and humans isn't it our duty to do everything in our power to ensure that justice prevails and good stewardship of the earth is respected.

I am interested to find out what Christian posters feel about the issue. If we ignore the plight of others and allow such unprincipled commerce because it is either cheaper or more convenient aren't we being greedy or slothful as well as condoning an evil trade ?

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." — Jesus (c. 5 B.C. - A.D. 32 ) in the Gospels, Matthew 7:12, Matthew 22:39, Luke 6:31, Luke 10:2

I was wondering whether your Churches are active in lobbying corporations and governments and do you try your utmost to avoid goods produced in slave conditions or which are environmentally destructive for example?
I know that some Baptist churches have boycotted Wal-Mart and that Churches in the UK have been actively involved in the Fair Trade Campaign. Which denominations in your opinion are the most active in ethical shopping?

What is your take on this ?

ASDA Wal-Mart : Corporate Crimes
Can Christians Shop at Wal-Mart in Good Conscience (http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/christians_shop.php - broken link)
Wake-Up Wal-Mart Blog: Would Jesus Shop at Wal-Mart? (http://blog.wakeupwalmart.com/ufcw/2006/12/would_jesus_sho.html - broken link)
Adventures in Ethical Consumerism: Ten Worst Corporations of 2004
Nike's Labor Practices - Business Ethics Case Studies - ICMR

For anyone interested in ethical shopping :

ethical shopping information for the ethical consumer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 09:45 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
that is a "do I look fat in this dress" type of question.

answers already exist, the right questions find them.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:49 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,116 times
Cool How very Buddha of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
that is a "do I look fat in this dress" type of question.

answers already exist, the right questions find them.
Love this response. Regarding the OP, I have often said that I can't afford to have morals when I shop right now, LOL. When we get more $$ we absolutely will, but right now we are on 1 income (mine, not much) live in an urban area and have 3 kids ages 4, 2, and 1. Gotta hit Wally World, AKA Wal Mart!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,607,236 times
Jesus stated that we should give to Cesar what is Cesar's. That was a recognition that we live in a secular world and are subject to it's constraints and limitations. He did not suggest overthrowing an oppressive regime as was a popular sentiment among his followers at the time. He advocated going along with the status quo so to speak.

I think it is right to pursue moral change and ethical improvement, but it is not the obligation to withdraw from society in protest.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:58 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times
In theory, I think it can a good thing to shop ethically when possible. However, in reality, sometimes it's not easy. By that I mean that one company may excel ethically in one area and not do so great in others. Sometimes we may have to choose what area is most important to you.
For example, it is very difficult for me personally to knowingly purchase from a company that I know supports organizations which are pro-abortion.

And then if I'm really honest here... don't flame me, but I don't know that spending huge amounts of time concerning myself about it is in the best interest of the kingdom of God.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:27 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,493,300 times
Actually, I would also ask how you use the money that God has allowed you to have. Are you in debt with consumer items? If so, then I question your stewardship of the resources given you.

We are learning a lot about this as we have gotten more and more involved in learning what God says about money.

Dawn

Old 08-07-2007, 10:47 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
Instead of thinking about the Walmart stockholders, think about the greater good that is done for the poor in China by allowing places like Walmart to provide the means for jobs.

Whether you like it or not, without those jobs, they would be far worse off than they are now. People still starve to death in areas like that. ANY money that can be earned is a good thing. Find a good subsitute before you condemn the practice of buying Chinese goods.

Do you know of any other way to help them?

A lot of the Americans that work for Walmart would also be without jobs. Oh, I forgot, Americans can always go back to drawing Welfare like they were before they went to work at Walmart.

Be realistic.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:01 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,756,328 times
Can you be a Christian if you don't shop ethically?

I rareley respond to these threads just because of the way they are worded. You can be a Christian if you believe Jesus Christ died for your sins and accept Him as your Saviour.

Then, you may carry on and shop, read, eat, play where you would like to.
However, when you love the Lord and try to live in a Christ-like manner, you will be much more likely to make better decisions.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:07 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,578,119 times
Lets put it this way. Can you be a Christian if you shop ethically? No, of course not,it is the love with all of your heart ,mind,body and soul that you have towards the Lord and knowing His Son Jesus Christ that makes you a Christian. Does the Lord want you to be ethical ? Why of course.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:07 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times
one would hard pressed to find ANY business that was 100% moral that was right down the street and didnt have to do business with other business' that didnt somehow have to do business with others that werent. Personally, I cant stand Wally World, but right now..its a necessary evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity