Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Pokemon appropriate for kids?
Good 56 80.00%
Bad 14 20.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:13 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,925 times

Advertisements

Id watch out for this guy,he can be pretty evil at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 10:16 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
I felt the need to post something "evil"........ .

Old 08-08-2011, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,555 times
I’m not going to say whether Pokémon is “good” or “bad.” Here are some facts and questions:

Pokémon is a fantasy series of video games, trading card games, toys, and a TV show. It is purely fictional, but it features themes rooted in nature and various cultures’ myths and legends.

“Pokémon” refers to the creatures that inhabit the fictional Pokémon world. Their fictional world is very much like the real world, only with fantastic creatures in place of animals. There are currently over 640 Pokémon creatures that inhabit the series.

People can “train” the Pokémon to compete in mostly non-violent “battles,” much like a competitive sport. They don’t kill each other. There is implied violence, but never blood, gore, or death, in battles. The loser “faints” and can be healed afterwards.

The Pokémon are classified by one or two “types,” most of which are elemental in nature (water, fire, grass, electric, ground, rock, ice), or mystical (ghost, psychic, dark, dragon), etc.

The word “evolve” is used to refer to when certain Pokémon “grow up” into others; however, it’s used to refer to more of a caterpillar-to-butterfly metamorphosis concept or child-adolescent-adult concept than the theory of evolution. (Its use of the word has actually has been blamed for “de-educating” a generation of kids about what the theory of evolution is.)

Some of the Pokémon are inspired by real-world animals like mice, cats, bugs, birds, and fish; others by plants, flowers, and trees; others by inanimate objects like rocks, piles of sludge, gears, bells, balloons, dolls; others by mythical creatures like the phoenix, fairies, ghosts, space aliens; and some are inspired by certain cultures’ gods. Some of the “god-like” characters are said to control the weather, the space-time continuum, the oceans, etc.

There’s a Pokémon called “Landorus,” that is inspired by a Japanese fertility god, and, yes, there’s even one called “Arceus” that draws from creationism and the idea of a “father god,” and is said to have created the world. Themes from Taoism, Buddhism, Shintoism, Christianity, and many other beliefs are incorporated into the characters and storytelling, though they’re not overt and Pokémon doesn’t seem to take any of its cultural or religious inspiration seriously.

Pokémon creatures are depicted as friends to the people in the series; some like pets, some like wild animals, some as unknown legends or “gods” (they’re called “gods” in Japan, but this is downplayed in English). While the world and characters are mostly depicted as happy and friendly on TV, there are some surprisingly dark themes behind a few characters outlined in the video games. A recent addition called “Yamask,” a “ghost type,” is said to be the spirit of a dead person who carries around a mask representing the person it once was. It “evolves” into a living sarcophagus. Another character, “Houndoom,” has an appearance that is strongly inspired by a “hell hound.”

My personal take: I feel the fantasy role play of commanding creatures to compete is in and of itself benign in the right context, but the casual treatment of other cultures’ gods seems questionable to me. The inspiration behind Pokémon can be seemingly innocent and imaginative, but many Christians would disagree. It depends on your relationship with and interpretation of your faith.

From a worldly perspective, Pokémon can be nothing but frivolous fun if managed properly by parents, like any kids show/game/toy.

From certain biblical perspectives, Pokémon is an entity that naively “dresses up” ancient beliefs and mysticism as fun characters for kids. It doesn’t glorify demonism or ancient pagan rituals, but it is inspired by it in certain ways.

Can that affect your children? What do you believe? Ask yourself:

1. Are you religious?

2. Do you believe in Satan and Hell?

3. Do you believe that demons, curses, and other evil spirituality exist in this world?

4. Do you believe that other cultures’ spirituality and belief systems are harmful for Christian kids to associate with?

5. Do you believe that objects can carry curses, demons, other influences?

If you answered “yes” to three or more, you probably want to steer clear of Pokémon. Some may say that if you feel your child is mature enough to discern good from evil on their own, you can present it in the proper context and monitor their involvement. You can also leave it to God and trust that even if it affects your kids negatively, you can raise them properly and help them “turn out OK.” It’s different for each case.

I hope this helps people make a decision consistent with their beliefs.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:15 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Pokemon - is it Evil or OK?

Evil. Have nothing to do with this. It does not honor God.
Good grief!!!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
At my six-year-old son's birthday party, one of his friends gave him Pokemon trading cards as a gift. I don't know much about Pokemon but have the feeling it is not right for a young man of God. We talk about choices and decisions and do they honor God or not. While not every decision or choice goes through that process, Pokemon definitely will.

I've researched the Internet a bit and found some concerning information (on Wikipedia) and thought I'd ask in this forum and get your thoughts.
  • What do you know about Pokemon?
  • If it's OK, why?
  • If it's bad, why?
I promised my son I'd do my research before giving him the decision on whether he is allowed to keep the cards.
Inanimate objects can't be evil or good... Let him play.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Inanimate objects can't be evil or good... Let him play.
The superstitious and magical thinkers who actually believe that evil can exist anywhere and in anything cannot be reasoned with, kat. Unreasoning credulity ignores the fact that our "state of mind" determines evil or good . . . not externalities.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:17 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The superstitious and magical thinkers who actually believe that evil can exist anywhere and in anything cannot be reasoned with, kat. Unreasoning credulity ignores the fact that our "state of mind" determines evil or good . . . not externalities.
Yes... It is interesting the power some people give to things like this though....

Old 08-13-2011, 07:12 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
I'd be more concerned with the social and psychological mess that is created by forbidding a child to play with a toy that everyone else is playing with.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,292 times
Are you serious? I hope not, because this is just....never mind.
I've played Pokemon for a couple of years now. Am I all satanic, crazy and obsessed? No.
I understand why some of you think it could possibly be "evil", but I disagree. It's very, very, EXCEEDINGLY rare that a child will become so obsessed with it that they will turn evil, ect. I think that everyone who has ever watched Pokemon (even little kids) know that it's not real, and never will be. They won't start thinking, 'Oh, I need to fight with my dog so he can level up!' I seriously doubt this.
Also, I know that some of you have a problem with the trainers 'killing' creatures in order to make their own stronger, but everyone who has ever played Pokemon knows that it's not real. Plus, they technically don't 'die'. They faint. But the point is that, just because we battle make-believe creatures doesn't mean that in real life we will want to pick fights, as well. Sure, in some extreme cases, yes, but that's about a one-in-a-million percent chance. Very unlikely.
I love watching Pokemon. And playing Pokemon, but not particularly the card games, but whatever. I'm a big fan, so to speak. Liking Pokemon has not affected my life in any negative ways at all: I still get good grades, I have friends, and I'm still...not crazy. Or possessed. You guys have to realize that it's not real, and it's just meant as entertainment.
Also, various life lessons are learned from Pokemon, such as always staying true to your friends, keeping promises, and helping people out. And, most importantly, FOLLOWING YOUR DREAMS. I acknowledge that there are many unrealistic circumstances, like jumping across a cliff in a single leap (or at least trying to--he failed, but didn't die), and other instances, but it's not like we think it could actually happen in real life.
My point is: Pokemon isn't real -- everyone knows that, even little kids.
It's meant as entertainment. If you don't want your kids (or you) to be entertained, then that's your decision. Personally, I'm an atheist, so I know that some of you may be like, "Oh, you wouldn't know, you don't believe in God.." but I really do respect people who believe in this, and I honestly don't think that liking Pokemon will harm anybody. Not unless they're completely obsessed with it. Take it from me: I'm pretty obsessed. It's a major hobby. But does that mean that I'm evil? I still have a soul, I'm still nice to everyone around me.
No offense to anyone. I just wanted to get my point across--Pokemon is NOT evil. Only when it is taken to the absolute EXTREMES would it be possibly dangerous, and even then I would doubt it. Please don't let your child miss out on something just because there's a one-in-a-million chance that they'll possibly become dangerous, evil, or whatnot. It's not evil. Period. I still respect and honor people, and I love Pokemon. When I first saw this thread, I thought it was a joke. I know some people will take this the wrong way, but, seriously...it's a game. It's an anime/TV-show. For KIDS (other people can watch it, too, though). That means that KIDS can watch it. In my opinion, of course. I hope I didn't offend anyone. =/

Old 08-27-2012, 12:21 PM

741 posts, read 1,288,680 times
Wow. That's all I can say. Where is critical thinking when you need it?
No, pokemon are not "Evil".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity