Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:36 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,134,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I really enjoy my church's choir, and I sing in one of the 4 choirs that my church has. It's great to be part of the music ministry, and be of an encouragement to members and potential members through songs and praises to God.
I love my church's choir!

Mormon Tabernacle Choir Singing "Battle Hymn of the Republic"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 02:51 PM

64,094 posts, read 40,395,194 times
I am ambiguous about this primarily because of the evil mainstream dogma of hell and damnation that infests the church. I general Church choirs, gospel music, and hymns can have tremendous soul-stirring power when they successfully merge strong rhythmic appeal with melodic and lyrical expressions of the strongest yearnings of our soul. It creates an opportunity to stimulate our animal nature and merge its emotions, drives and promptings with our soul in control. This always yields the best accomplishments of humankind.

Learning to Conduct Our Soul Symphony

Our thoughts are embryonic "symphonies" of consciousness produced in a "chemical orchestra" made expressly to procreate God's consciousness (Agape Love). But music is a double-edged sword. It clearly stimulates our animal nature and can elevate our animal nature to the status of "conductor-in-charge" under the wrong circumstances. The circumstances surrounding Church choirs and services is conducive to the positive influences necessary to make the soul the "conductor-in-charge." This is a positive and extremely valuable role for spiritual development.

The key to life lies in learning to recognize and determine who is the "conductor in charge" of your thoughts in different situations . . . your soul or your animal nature. Unfortunately, in the very early stages of life, while still emotionally immature, recognizing and controlling the "conductor in charge" is often beyond an individual's abilities. During this period of life, it is parents, circumstances and society who must do the recognizing and controlling. Church services with choirs, gospel singing, hymns, etc. can be an excellent training vehicle . . . if we could eliminate the heinous and evil ET (hell and damnation) nonsense from the sermons and doctrine. Fear and angst activate our animal nature and it tends to attain dominance . . . the exact opposite of its purported intent.

Training ourselves to structure our thinking to adjust the two facets of our psyche to strengthen our soul while placating the serpent is the major task we all face at each stage of life. We all must learn how to let our soul express its true nature by controlling our animal nature appropriately. But, it is important to realize that we are not "pets in the process of being trained," we are children in the process of maturing. We are heirs of God, as Paul states in Romans 8:14,

. . . For whoever are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. Now you have not received a spirit of bondage so as to be again in fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons . . . But if we are sons, we are heirs also; heirs indeed of God and joint heirs with Christ.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:36 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,262,476 times
Although I was a soloist, I never was good in a choir situation, so I can really appreciate a great choir. The church I used to be a part of did not have much going for it, but it had great music with full choirs and a full orchestra. They made me proud at conventions. I loved the classical music they did so often. If there is anything I miss from there, it's the music -- but i don't miss it enough to go back!

Old 09-23-2010, 06:43 PM

5,535 posts, read 7,382,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am ambiguous about this primarily because of the evil mainstream dogma of hell and damnation that infests the church. I general Church choirs, gospel music, and hymns can have tremendous soul-stirring power when they successfully merge strong rhythmic appeal with melodic and lyrical expressions of the strongest yearnings of our soul. It creates an opportunity to stimulate our animal nature and merge its emotions, drives and promptings with our soul in control. This always yields the best accomplishments of humankind.

Learning to Conduct Our Soul Symphony

Our thoughts are embryonic "symphonies" of consciousness produced in a "chemical orchestra" made expressly to procreate God's consciousness (Agape Love). But music is a double-edged sword. It clearly stimulates our animal nature and can elevate our animal nature to the status of "conductor-in-charge" under the wrong circumstances. The circumstances surrounding Church choirs and services is conducive to the positive influences necessary to make the soul the "conductor-in-charge." This is a positive and extremely valuable role for spiritual development.

The key to life lies in learning to recognize and determine who is the "conductor in charge" of your thoughts in different situations . . . your soul or your animal nature. Unfortunately, in the very early stages of life, while still emotionally immature, recognizing and controlling the "conductor in charge" is often beyond an individual's abilities. During this period of life, it is parents, circumstances and society who must do the recognizing and controlling. Church services with choirs, gospel singing, hymns, etc. can be an excellent training vehicle . . . if we could eliminate the heinous and evil ET (hell and damnation) nonsense from the sermons and doctrine. Fear and angst activate our animal nature and it tends to attain dominance . . . the exact opposite of its purported intent.

Training ourselves to structure our thinking to adjust the two facets of our psyche to strengthen our soul while placating the serpent is the major task we all face at each stage of life. We all must learn how to let our soul express its true nature by controlling our animal nature appropriately. But, it is important to realize that we are not "pets in the process of being trained," we are children in the process of maturing. We are heirs of God, as Paul states in Romans 8:14,

. . . For whoever are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. Now you have not received a spirit of bondage so as to be again in fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons . . . But if we are sons, we are heirs also; heirs indeed of God and joint heirs with Christ.
Awe common Mystic,

Do you really think about all that "stuff" when laying back listening music?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:34 PM

64,094 posts, read 40,395,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Awe common Mystic,

Do you really think about all that "stuff" when laying back listening music?
In a way . . . Yes. But not all the time. My wife and I were famous for our parties. They were always successes and people left having had a wonderful time thinking it was all very spontaneous. It was not. It was choreographed by my wife and I . . . and a major contributor was the type and timing of the music played as the evening wore on. The way to have a fabulous spontaneous good time is to have it planned and choreographed without anyone knowing about it . . . and the background music is a major factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity