Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,782 times

Advertisements

The Holy Spirit can be BLASPHEMED.
Which brings us to our scripture. But before we continue, I want to recap that the Holy Spirit can be: Resisted, Quenched, Grieved, Quieted and Insulted – None of these are Blasphemy! This has been part of the problem. People (all too often Pastors) have wadded all of these things together with blaspheming the Holy Spirit. Others have for the sake of emphasis, thrown a few additional real or imagined sins into the mix as well. And this has destroyed the lives of many an otherwise stable Christian. Look, according to these scriptures, you can resist Him, grieve Him, Quiet Him and even insult Him and yet not commit the unpardonable sin by blaspheming Him.
But, the Holy Spirit can be BLASPHEMED as is shown in Mat 12:31.
Well, lets dig into this passage a little.
vs. 31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men:
What this is saying is that every other kind of sin and every other kind of blasphemy can be forgiven. The scripture says ALL! In the Greek language “All” is always translated as… ‘ALL’! (or every one). So what if you were an axe murderer? ALL! What if you were a child molester? ALL! What if you got divorced and remarried? (I bring up the last one because an extended family member of ours believes that somehow by committing this heinous sin of ‘divorce and remarriage’ he has blasphemed the Holy Spirit and is lost and separated from God forever. No!) ALL means ALL!
… but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
But, there IS something called “Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.” So what is it?
Well here is what it is NOT:
vs. 32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: So it’s NOT talking against Jesus! Accusing Him of all manner of sin and crimes, calling Him a drunk and a glutton, accusing Him of healing and deliverance through the power of Satan … According to this that’s even forgivable. So even blasphemy against Jesus is forgivable.
Here is what it is…
but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
Wow! That is rough! But what does that mean, “speaking against the Holy Spirit”?
Well it’s really pretty simple. “Blasphemy” is something slanderous and/or injurious to one’s good name. And the Greek word for “against” can mean “according to the case against” or “to the charge of” which is legal language. So what I believe this is saying is that “speaking blasphemy against” the Holy Spirit is like when someone one knowingly and deliberately as a legal witness attributes the works, operations and/or gifts of the Holy Spirit to the Devil or attributes the works, operations of the Devil to the Holy Spirit.
The Pharisees did this when Jesus was casting out demons by the power of the Holy Spirit. They proclaimed: “He cast out demon spirits by the power of Beelzebub!”
Jesus stopped their mouths right then and there and straightened them out.
Now Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is NOT someone that is just parroting someone else or speaking out of ignorance. Paul in 1Tim 1:12-13 said that He had even blasphemed the Holy Spirit, but that he had done this out of ignorance.
This is also NOT just something stupid that someone casually says once or twice. This is something that is said deliberately – in abundance – from the heart. How do we know that? We know that from the context of the rest of this passage.
vs. 33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit
vs. 34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth
speaketh.

vs. 35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
vs. 36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
vs. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Satan comes to steal, kill and destroy. He is not above using religion to accomplish his goals. So I don’t care WHO told you that you have committed the unpardonable sin… a “friend”, a relative, a coworker, someone in your church, your Priest of Pastor or Satan himself… I guarantee you that you could NOT have done it accidentally (without knowing about it). You would have to knowingly and deliberately, from your heart of hearts reject and renounce the Holy Spirit and verbally slander Him and His works and character to others.
I don’t think a person like that would even be reading this article! That is why you need to realize that you have not committed this unpardonable sin. Now you may have indeed sinned. But God’s Word says that He is QUICK TO FORGIVE all other sins. So ask for His forgiveness, and believe by faith that you have received it and get on with your life.
Don’t let the Devil continue to hold you in bondage.
Don’t allow the Devil to hold you back any longer from you walk with God.

quote from

[url=http://www.tgm.org/Blasphemy.htm]What is blasphemy against the Holy Ghost?[/url]

what I want to know is

How do I not commit this sin. Can someone help me guide me. Please help would really be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 05:12 PM

93 posts, read 182,562 times
Funny... because I renounce, mock, and constantly use logical demonstrations of God's flaws to disprove him every day.

Then again, I do the same for ever deity, demon, angel, cherub, and seraph.

Alas, I have still read your post because I crave knowledge.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:26 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,711 times
Quote:
Funny... because I renounce, mock, and constantly use logical demonstrations of God's flaws to disprove him every day.
Galatians 6:7 "Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that will he also reap." It might be funny now but there will come a day you may not think it so hilarious. You may want to reconsider friend.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:12 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
What about all these teenagers who took part in the "Blasphemy challenge" on youtube. Are they forever damned or just ignorant so they could be forgiven?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:33 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panda god View Post

I see that you are only 18 ! I quess you consider that makes you very knowledgable ???? I am 75 , and still learning.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:29 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,967 times
I Think the Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is to deny Christ and Salvation.
not to deny Jesus the man, call him names and mock him....

but by denying He is the Messiah and Savior, the Spirit of God incarnate.

you can 'blaspheme' the name Jesus, the man....
but not Who he is...God the father, Jeus and the Holy Spirit are one.

Heb 10:26

rejecting the Holy Spirits prodding to Christ and salvation....that cannot be forgiven.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:24 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
A lot of people think they might have committed this unpardonable sin, and are in a horrible state of worry over it. Probably 99% of them have NOT committed this sin. But, what exactly is this unpardonable sin?
I think if we read the CONTEXT of the passage where Jesus mentioned this, we will gain some understanding over what this sin is:

Matt. 12:22-32 says, "Then there was brought to Him a demon-possessed man who was blind and dumb, and He healed him, so that the dumb man spoke and saw. 23And all the multitudes were amazed, and began to say, "This man cannot be the Son of David, can he?" 24But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, "This man casts out demons only by Beelzebub the ruler of the demons." 25And knowing their thoughts He said to them, "Any kingdom divided against itself is laid waste; and any city or house divided against itself shall not stand. 26"And if Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then shall his kingdom stand? 27"And if I by Beelzebub cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out? Consequently they shall be your judges. 28"But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29"Or how can anyone enter the strong man’s house and carry off his property, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. 30"He who is not with Me is against Me; and he who does not gather with Me scatters. 31"Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32"And whoever shall speak a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever shall speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age, or in the age to come," (All Scripture quotes are from the NASB).

Basically: IMO they were saying that the works of the Holy Spirit were of Satan, not God. They refused to acknowledge Him...

Bud

Old 04-29-2008, 01:22 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
If you don't mind I'll quote myself from an earlier unpardonable sin thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888

28: Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:

29: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: (King James Version)

Now, THAT sounds familiar, doesn't it? How about:

28: Verily, I say unto you All things shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, the sins and the profanities wherewithal they shall profane;

29: But, whosoever shall revile against the Holy Spirit, hath no forgiveness, unto times age-abiding, but is guilty of an age-abiding sin: (Rotherham)

What??? Who said that?

So,,, could it be that the unforgiveness spoken of will only last for a two distinct time periods — this age and the age to come?

Why is Christiandom so quick to embrace 'unpardonable sin' doctrine based on one passage? Especially when we are taught in many many places to ALWAYS forgive? Does God have lower standards for Himself?

The tragedy here is that through the ages Satan has tormented many a mind with this concept that they may have committed a sin which cannot be repented of/forgiven. If this were were true then John should have said "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world - except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit"

And "Who is the propitiation not only for our sins - except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, but also for the sins of the whole world - except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit".

And "God has laid upon Him the iniquity of us all -
all iniquity except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit that is"

And "By His stripes we are healed - unless we have blasphemed the Holy Spirit"

blessings,
- Byron

PS: The word “aion” is used in the Greek text of the 'hath never forgiveness" passage, but is left out by the King James translators altogether. Was this a simple error, or did they understand that the word “aion” would put a limit on this unforgiveness, which would contradict their belief in never-ending punishment? This verse could/should be translated, “….hath no forgiveness unto times age-abiding” (Young's Literal Translation).

Throughout scripture there is no such thing as an unpardonable sin ie: Ps 103:2 "Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: 3 Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases, 4 Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies"

Just another example how it is human nature to take one verse and assume the worst because of bad translating, even if it contradicts the rest of scripture.

blessings,
- Byron

Old 04-29-2008, 04:25 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panda god View Post

Despite your logic, I still believe there's hope for you.

(With all due respect to DerekM)

Old 04-29-2008, 07:54 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Quote:
If you don't mind I'll quote myself from an earlier unpardonable sin thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888

28: Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:

29: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: (King James Version)

Now, THAT sounds familiar, doesn't it? How about:

28: Verily, I say unto you All things shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, the sins and the profanities wherewithal they shall profane;

29: But, whosoever shall revile against the Holy Spirit, hath no forgiveness, unto times age-abiding, but is guilty of an age-abiding sin: (Rotherham)

What??? Who said that?

So,,, could it be that the unforgiveness spoken of will only last for a two distinct time periods — this age and the age to come?

Why is Christiandom so quick to embrace 'unpardonable sin' doctrine based on one passage? Especially when we are taught in many many places to ALWAYS forgive? Does God have lower standards for Himself?

The tragedy here is that through the ages Satan has tormented many a mind with this concept that they may have committed a sin which cannot be repented of/forgiven. If this were were true then John should have said "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world - except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit"

And "Who is the propitiation not only for our sins - except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, but also for the sins of the whole world - except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit".

And "God has laid upon Him the iniquity of us all -
all iniquity except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit that is"

And "By His stripes we are healed - unless we have blasphemed the Holy Spirit"

blessings,
- Byron

PS: The word “aion” is used in the Greek text of the 'hath never forgiveness" passage, but is left out by the King James translators altogether. Was this a simple error, or did they understand that the word “aion” would put a limit on this unforgiveness, which would contradict their belief in never-ending punishment? This verse could/should be translated, “….hath no forgiveness unto times age-abiding” (Young's Literal Translation).

Throughout scripture there is no such thing as an unpardonable sin ie: Ps 103:2 "Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: 3 Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases, 4 Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies"

Just another example how it is human nature to take one verse and assume the worst because of bad translating, even if it contradicts the rest of scripture.

blessings,
I agree, Byron. Thanks for sharing. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity