Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:38 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,724,000 times

Advertisements

“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.”

Any thoughts as to what it means that the Lord is one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 07:46 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,630,678 times
I'm no Bible scholar, but to me it means that the Lord God is ONE. As in He is the Only One, there is no other. ONE God, ONE Jesus, ONE Holy Spirit that equal ONE GOD.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:31 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,716,145 times
It's also a scientific principle - all life fundamentally exists as a unified One. If we begin to substitute "Lord" with "Life" in phrases such as these, we begin to tap into deep scientific wisdom that was shrouded in spiritual mythology during the times that these scriptures were written. We begin to move beyond the question of whether or not there is a God and onto the vast powers accessible to all of us through an immersion in this One.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:33 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,401,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.”

Here, let's help you understand the scripture clearer. Maybe you need a more accurate translation, one that does'nt adhere to the "Abrogation and Cancellation Doctrine" like Islam does.

Deut 6:4 - "American Standard Version"
Quote:
"Hear O Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah"

"And thou shaly love Jehovah thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might."
Deut 6:4 - "Young's Literal Translation"
Quote:
"Hear O Israel, Jehovah our God is one Jehovah;

and thou hast loved Jehovah thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy might."
Deut 6:4 - "Darby Translation"
Quote:
"Hear, Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah;

and thou shalt love Jehovah thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength."
Deut 6:4 - New Simplified Bible"
Quote:
Listen, Israel! JEHOVAH OUR GOD IS ONE GOD!

"You must love Jehovah your God with all your heart, and with your entire mind, and with all your strength."
Deut 6:4 (footnote) "Holman Christian Standard Bible"
Quote:
Deyt 6:4 (footnote) "Or Yahweh is our God; Yahweh is one,
Deut 6:4 - "New Jerusalem Bible"
Quote:
"Listen, Israel: Yahweh our God is the one, the only Yahweh.

"You must love Yahweh your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength."
It certainly makes a huge difference when properly translated the way it was originally inspired to be written. No "Encryption Theology" here.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:02 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,429,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
I'm no Bible scholar, but to me it means that the Lord God is ONE. As in He is the Only One, there is no other. ONE God, ONE Jesus, ONE Holy Spirit that equal ONE GOD.
Exactly!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:40 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,992,615 times
Quote:

De 6:4 ¶ Hear, O Israel: Yahveh, is our God,––Yahveh alone.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:12 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,157,572 times
Quote:

שמע shama`=HEAR
ישראל Yisra'el=ISRAEL
יהוה Yĕhovah=GOD (Father)
אלהים 'elohiym=GOD (plural)
אחד 'echad=ONE
יהוה Yĕhovah=GOD (Father)

It would probably be the same as what Jesus stated as was quoted from Psalms:

Psalms 8:6
I said, "You are gods, And all of you are sons of the Most High.

John 10:34
Jesus answered them, "Has it not been written in your Law, 'I SAID, YOU ARE GODS'?

In other words, we ALL who are born anew of God, are at one with God. This oneness is Elohiym, the plurality of the Father, who is ALL in ALL. THe second part sums it up for the entirety of the Law. Love Father(יהוה Yĕhovah=GOD) (Father), Love fellow Brothers and Sisters(אלהים 'elohiym=GOD) (plural), with everything we are, in our hearts, minds, and strength.

And no, I am not Morman, I just know what Jesus tells us, and what the Prophets told us. Why renounce who we are, as we are made in the very image of the Creator.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:23 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,347,717 times
Quote:

is this another Trinity thread?

Old 02-01-2009, 06:05 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,809,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
is this another Trinity thread?

I think its a oneness thread.... I do however love this Scripture it was the first scripture I ever memorized in 1970 when I was about 6 even then I remember being in love with his word

Old 02-01-2009, 06:17 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,407,986 times
The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is the God of the whole earth, the only true God. This was an important insight for the nation of Israel because they were about to enter a land filled with people who believed in many gods. Both then and now there are people who prefer to place their trust in many different gods. But the day is coming when God will be recognized the only one. He will be king over the whole earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity