Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 06:07 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times

Advertisements

Don't turn them away> Invite them in, open your KJV to the Book of John, and show them how their Bible has been altered to deny the divinity of Christ. Pray for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 09:46 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamatha32 View Post
I simply ask them to leave nicely. I'm a Christian and I simply do not believe in their theory.
I don't ever answer my door so that solves the problem. I think it's just plain rude to show up on someone's doorstep unannounced, and it's even more rude to do so with an agenda, like proselytizing or selling something.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:31 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
If Jesus set me free he sure has a twisted sense of humor. Why did he allow me to believe sincerely that I had the truth for 40 years? He must have known I would be highly suspicious at least, of any faith after that. If it was Jesus/God who set me free, what was the purpose? To lead me to the truth. to show me it? My release from the JWs, my only experience with God and the Bible, has led me to agnosticism..... and the more I read and ask questions on forums like this, the less inclined I am to dive back into the murky waters of Christendom to search for God.
Forget the Babel of Christendom for now, go look for Jesus first and foremost, He is at the door and " knocks." " If any man hears my voice [the still small one] and opens up, I will come in and dine with him "

It will be your rest from religion into a beautiful relationship!

Old 10-07-2011, 10:38 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Don't turn them away> Invite them in, open your KJV to the Book of John, and show them how their Bible has been altered to deny the divinity of Christ. Pray for them.
Unfortunately, that's probably a bad idea. The evidence would be against you.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:12 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Unfortunately, that's probably a bad idea. The evidence would be against you.
Interesting. The evidence that the article "a" in the New World Translation is not in the original Greek Translation. Adding the article "a" doesn't not negate the fact that John was stating that Jesus who is God's ONLY BEGOTTEN SON (look up the Greek word for Begotten---monogenes) and you will see that Jesus shares the same nature as His Father. Like father like son, in other words if God is the father so is God is the Son, two different persons, not one in the same, but ONE IN ESSENCE/DIVINITY.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:45 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
The Light shines through the darkness of men; but the darkness of men cannot comprehend it.

What it means to come in the flesh is the ultimate question.
Not many have the capacity to perceive and understand it.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:12 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The Light shines through the darkness of men; but the darkness of men cannot comprehend it.

What it means to come in the flesh is the ultimate question.
Not many have the capacity to perceive and understand it.
If Jesus is the light, won't His light shine on use to help us comprehend it?

Old 12-18-2011, 06:27 PM

128 posts, read 355,059 times
I don't know if anyone has clarified this, but I've noticed that people seem to think Jehovah's witnesses come to "convert" you at your door. Sorry to break it to you, but its alot harder to become a Jehovah's witness. You have to actually study the Bible (shocking ... you are actually required to know Scripture), before you can be dedicated and baptized. As one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I find some of these posts to be comical, and others just sad. No one is forced to be a witness. Don't feel bad for children who are raised as a witness. Its every parents right to raise their kid in any religion they happen to be. When the child comes of age, they choose for themselves. Plain and simple. No brainwashing there. Because the truth of the matter is, if you don't want to serve Jehovah for the right reasons, HE doesn't want you taking up a seat anyway. You don't want us knocking on your door?? Just say so. Because we'd much rather spend time talking to someone who wants to learn about the Bible than wasting it on someone who is hiding. Why hide? We'll just think you aren't home and keep coming back. Defeats the purpose. so just say "No thank you, I'm not interested and please don't come back" That really isn't so difficult is it? Whatever questions you have about a Jehovah's Witness, ask them. Not someone who used to be one, or who knew someone who was or who's sister in law's husband's best friend from 10 years ago knew one. go to the source if you have a question. There is alot of misconception about us which could be easily cleared up. Bottom line is, we want to teach people the Bible. Its up to you to decide if you believe it or not. We are in a teaching work that Jesus commanded his followers to do. Its a command in the Bible, look it up. That is why we are at your door with more regularity than the post man. Not because we enjoy being ridiculed or yelled at and made fun of. Its a command from Jesus and b/c we love people we do it. Remember that the next time you slam a door in the face of someone who opted not to sleep in but to come to your door and talk about the Bible. You may not agree with some of our practices. I've noticed the mention of disfellowshipping as a big on (or some call it shunning). Regardless of your personal feelings, the cleanliness of the congregation is first and foremost. If someone has done something worthy of being disfellowshipped, they are given ample time to repent and make things right. They are only disfellowshipped if they REFUSE to repent and want to continue the course they are on. At that point there is nothing more that can be done.No we don't celebrate national holidays ... because they have nothing to do with the Bible, God or Christ and most have Pagan origins. Obviously, we aren't trying to win a popularity contest, otherwise we'd follow along with what everyone else does. There are reasons why we do what we do. And it works for about 7 million people throughout the earth.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:16 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcost$$ View Post
As one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I find some of these posts to be comical, and others just sad.
I do not pick on the fundamentalist literalist religious groups, even those with truly whackadoo beliefs. But I cannot stay silent when someone makes such a charge. The phrase "those who live in glass houses" . . . comes to mind. There is nothing more comical and sad than religious bigots and superstitious magic believers, period.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:34 PM

810 posts, read 1,437,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I do not pick on the fundamentalist literalist religious groups, even those with truly whackadoo beliefs. But I cannot stay silent when someone makes such a charge. The phrase "those who live in glass houses" . . . comes to mind. There is nothing more comical and sad than religious bigots and superstitious magic believers, period.
Oh barf!
Your assertion that 'It's all good... God knows our intentions no matter what it is we are practicing' may be good for you, but for me it's a tad whackadoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity