Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2022, 07:36 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I haven’t had a JW knock on our door in a long time

But we do get a hand written letter every couple of months
Same here. I joked it was them working from home at the start of Covid, but I think they found out it's easier to sit at home and write letters even now that we can get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 02:16 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Same here. I joked it was them working from home at the start of Covid, but I think they found out it's easier to sit at home and write letters even now that we can get out.
I personally don’t have anything against JW’s

When they did knock on our door I would just say no I’m not interested, I would take the magazine and that was the end of it

Before Covid they would have a place on our towns main Street that they would hand out information and say hi to people passing and they always seem very nice, I’m not really interested in debating with people over their denominations views - I am more a reader and thinker and have long ago read the reasoning of JW’s and respect their place/part

Old 05-21-2022, 02:49 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:
I personally don’t have anything against JW’s

When they did knock on our door I would just say no I’m not interested, I would take the magazine and that was the end of it
In person, for the best part I have never found them to be anything other than cordial, in saying that, that was mainly in the UK. There was one JW I knew reasonably well and she seemed to be all about Jesus. Maybe it is different over here.

Old 05-21-2022, 03:00 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The notion that the end will come when the gospel is published in every language is the whole reason for the existence of organizations like Wycliffe Bible Translators. They want to make that happen to bring on the End of Days.

However your belief about inspired translations for non English-speakers sounds to me like an afterthought. Someone somewhere must have decided that the KJV was inspired and the others were not. Maybe David Otis Fuller? Someone must have. How did they determine this? And how does one apply this divination to any random other language?

I mean this insight about inspiration and translations has huge ramifications for the souls of people all over the world. Yet I have never heard a KJV-only proponent show the slightest real interest in it. Sometimes I wonder if maybe the real reason for all this love for the KJV is to confine the gospel to overthinking American exceptionalists.
My family is associated with Wycliffe and I don't think that is their reasoning. They just want the whole world to have the gospel. Only God knows when the end times are.

I've written before that my sister and BIL translated the Bible (through Wycliffe) into Quechua (Inca ancestors) and the KJV is not involved in that at all. They translate directly from the original Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic. And check their work against all the scholarly papers they can find which is why it takes decades.

I've listened to presentations at their headquarters and they don't mention bringing on the end of days, though I've heard that from other sources.

Old 05-21-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
In person, for the best part I have never found them to be anything other than cordial, in saying that, that was mainly in the UK. There was one JW I knew reasonably well and she seemed to be all about Jesus. Maybe it is different over here.
I’m in NZ so we are behind the overseas trends

Those things do make there way here unfortunately

The individual JW’s seem to be more focused on the health of the society rather than on the eternal destiny of individuals

That is the message I get - Gods kingdom coming to earth and the reformation of society where there is peace in the Millennial reign of Christ

They look forward to the 1000 year reign/the sabbath Day and I respect them for that

Old 05-21-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:

The individual JW’s seem to be more focused on the health of the society rather than on the eternal destiny of individuals

That is the message I get - Gods kingdom coming to earth and the reformation of society where there is peace in the Millennial reign of Christ

They look forward to the 1000 year reign/the sabbath Day and I respect them for that

Old 05-21-2022, 03:16 PM

553 posts, read 172,088 times
Quote:

That's nice. But there are plenty of testimonies about how cultish they are, and not in a positive way.

https://youtu.be/gDwHdj7plWo

Old 05-21-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsmaine View Post
That's nice. But there are plenty of testimonies about how cultish they are, and not in a positive way.

Look at any type of religion and there will be the exclusive/separatist/radical/extremist part which is not how they are generally though

This is what Matthew and Romans and Galatians and Corinthians is talking about - that Christianity itself has been created both divisionally and is to disperse and multiply

There is great/immense height, depth, breadth - and inner and outer aspects

And all of it is to be judged as to its own qualities

Last edited by Meerkat2; 05-21-2022 at 04:23 PM..

Old 05-21-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsmaine View Post

True wellsmaine, but In all fairness I never ever witnessed this form back in the UK. In saying that the American version of it is not too different to bible fundamentalism, that is very clear on this forum.

Old 05-21-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
True wellsmaine, but In all fairness I never ever witnessed this form back in the UK. In saying that the American version of it is not too different to bible fundamentalism, that is very clear on this forum.
On this forum you only get 2 or 3 JW’s who are using this as their own sounding board

I would not take those 2 or 3 peoples opinions to say that shows what/how all American JW’s think

I have always disliked generalisations and labelling - but I know we do need those things to a certain extent

Last edited by Meerkat2; 05-21-2022 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity