Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,271 times

Advertisements

How can cooperation to feed the hungry and clothe the naked and generally care for the poor lead to any "compromise of belief"? Recognized holidays have nothing to do with charitable work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 07:00 PM

810 posts, read 1,437,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
How can cooperation to feed the hungry and clothe the naked and generally care for the poor lead to any "compromise of belief"? Recognized holidays have nothing to do with charitable work.
We'll see...time will tell.

Holidays have nothing to do with charitable work (although much of the charitable work is done in conjunction with holidays), but how long will it be before secular recognition of "Christian" holidays becomes an issue when the two groups are united in purpose...and once united in purpose to do charitable works the compromising won't be to far behind.

It's the opposite of divide and conquer...instead the leaders seem to want to unite with interfaith and conquer.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:28 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
We'll see...time will tell.

Holidays have nothing to do with charitable work (although much of the charitable work is done in conjunction with holidays), but how long will it be before secular recognition of "Christian" holidays becomes an issue when the two groups are united in purpose...and once united in purpose to do charitable works the compromising won't be to far behind.

It's the opposite of divide and conquer...instead the leaders seem to want to unite with interfaith and conquer.
I believe most holidays today have to do with generating revenue, no matter what the occasion. I have every confidence that the USA will one day use their "Abrogation Doctrine" to change the constitution for whatever purpose they deem necessary. They have already used this clause before through the Supreme Court and it will no doubt be used again at some future time.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:05 PM

810 posts, read 1,437,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
I believe most holidays today have to do with generating revenue, no matter what the occasion. I have every confidence that the USA will one day use their "Abrogation Doctrine" to change the constitution for whatever purpose they deem necessary. They have already used this clause before through the Supreme Court and it will no doubt be used again at some future time.
Hmmmm...abrogation doctrine...I'll have to look that up!

I just know it wouldn't take much for some "Christians" to start absorbing some tradtions, perhaps even some doctrine from the Nation of Islam.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:20 PM

94 posts, read 135,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
President Obama encourages all religions to work together to help the least of these. Should evangelicals partner with Catholics, Buddhists, Mormons etc... to feed and clothe people? Should we preach the gospel or not? if we do, what kind of gospel is preached? Will our working together confuse the gospel to unbelievers?

Obama: faith should unite, not divide - 2008 Presidential Campaign Blog - Political Intelligence - Boston.com
What Obama is referring to is to find COMMON GROUND in all religious. I think he's right...........but I'd first find common ground in the three religions that occupy the Holy Land (which is giving all quite a lot of trouble lately).

The monotheistic religions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. We DO have a common thread: Abraham, the father of all 3

Old 02-22-2009, 11:22 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
No, by all means, let's start a holy war!

I think what confuses non-believers is that there are a thousand different versions of Christianity, many proclaiming to be THE true and correct religion, many pointing fingers at other denominations, etc., so they end up just looking stupid to the non believer. If they all cooperated and helped people in need unconditionally, you'd probably see more non believers attracted to Christianity.

Our church (Presbyterian) works together with a Catholic, Methodist, and Episcopal churches nearby on many things (local missions), and the 4 churches can get along without worring about individual differences.

But back to President Obama - yeah, good luck with that!
ditto!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity