Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:47 AM

436 posts, read 1,175,158 times

Advertisements

Okay, so did Jesus say if you are not His follower you will go to hell or what? I am not asking about coming to the father, no. I am asking about going to hell. Did the followers of John the baptist, who were also preaching repentence unto salvation, and where not Christs followers, but were neither against Him, did they spend an eternity in hell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 09:47 AM

23,025 posts, read 34,423,375 times
Jesus may not have used the word Christian, but He certainly did teach that unless we ask Him to forgive us of our sins, we will go to hell for eternity.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:25 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,486,553 times
I'd say any father who send his own blood, his own child, to the depths of a burning inferno filled with agony and sorrow forever is a father who needs some counseling. Not trying to be a funny guy here, or a wiseguy, but the whole thing never sat right with me. The interpretations are so distorted. We are put on a twisted corrupt planet at no will of our own and then when we don't adhere to these rules written by men 1000's of years ago who claimed to hear the word of God come from the sky, and now we get to go from this place to yet an even worse plain of suffering? Come on, this is bad teaching.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:59 AM

14,905 posts, read 17,212,127 times
Quote:
Did the followers of John the baptist, who were also preaching repentence unto salvation, and where not Christs followers, but were neither against Him, did they spend an eternity in hell?
No, I do not believe that Jesus taught that those who don't follow Him will go to hell for all of eternity. He said that He would draw all men to Himself. (John 12) All will eventually come to Him. He did teach that many would experience loss, torment, correction, the severe judgments of God but the Father sent Him to be the Savior of the world. All belong to Him. He is the Savior of all men, especially of believers. (1 Timothy 4:10) He is the only Way, Truth, and Life and eventually all will recognize this. There are many scriptures which speak of God's final plan to reconcile all to Himself through Jesus, ex. Colossians 1:19-20. You know, believers differ on this subject, Timothy. I would ask God to guide you to what He would have you to know. Also the followers of John the Baptist were directed by John the Baptist to Jesus. Jesus was the One to follow.

John 1:35-36

Again the next day John was standing with two of his disciples and he looked upon Jesus as He walked, and said, "Behold the Lamb of God!"
And the two disciples heard him speak and they followed Jesus.

Psalms 68:18
You have ascended on high, You have led captive Your captives;
You have received gifts among men,
Even among the rebellious also, that the LORD God may dwell there

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 03-02-2009 at 12:40 PM..

Old 03-02-2009, 03:13 PM

381 posts, read 799,939 times
Jesus did say don't fear the one who can kill the body, but fear the one that can kill both the body and soul in hell.

you're getting technical re John the Baptist. you fail to see Jesus was God in the flesh. He came from heaven. so yes, you're correct. unless you become born again, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. In relevation you'll face the great white throne judgment. you might even stand next to Adolf Hitler. The books will be brought out and the book of life. those whose names are not found in the book will will be thrown into gehhenna (lake of fire)
Rev20
"and the books were opened. and another book was opened, which is the book of life. and the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the book. ( every idle word, bad thought, bad deed, good deed, everything)
the sea gave up its dead
death and hades delivered up the dead who were in them (hitler, genghis kahn, stalin, and jack the ripper)
and they were judged according to their works..( doesn't look good)

then death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire.

Now suppose you were in the other line, the one who did some good some bad, didn't know christ, helped little ol ladies across the street.
If your name is not found written in the book of life, ( Rev 20:15)
you would be cast also with Hitler into the lake of fire.

That is why you can't afford the risk. We need a savior. we need the assurance of Jesus Christ. he is our advocate before the throne since we will all appear before the judgement seat. That is NT theology, but Jesus looks at us, sees his reflection and we pass calmly and joyfully into paradise, maybe to be greeted by the thief on the cross, and Stephen, but we pass and DO NOT face the Great White Throne Judgement.

Many pastors don't teach revelation because it is so FINAL and permanent. But does it make it any less true? No. thank you Jesus.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:22 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,993,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I'd say any father who send his own blood, his own child, to the depths of a burning inferno filled with agony and sorrow forever is a father who needs some counseling. Not trying to be a funny guy here, or a wiseguy, but the whole thing never sat right with me. The interpretations are so distorted. We are put on a twisted corrupt planet at no will of our own and then when we don't adhere to these rules written by men 1000's of years ago who claimed to hear the word of God come from the sky, and now we get to go from this place to yet an even worse plain of suffering? Come on, this is bad teaching.
Quote:
I'd say any father who send his own blood, his own child, to the depths of a burning inferno filled with agony and sorrow forever
Are you referring/saying here that God sent Jesus to the depths of an inferno, etc etc.?

If you are.... would you please explain/show with Scripture, just where it says that happened in the Bible?

Old 03-03-2009, 03:44 AM

381 posts, read 799,939 times
jc76,
St Paul said, "the natural man cannot percieve the things of God because they are foolishness to him for they are spiritually discerned."

Pick up your bible and start reading the gospel of John and pray, "Lord , help my unbelief."

I nor anyone else could preach enough to get you to realize that Jesus is the Lord of Lord and King of Kings and the only name given under heaven by which we can be saved. Read your bible or a bible. read the gospel and read the letter of Paul to the Romans. Lord have mercy on you and give you peace and a hope.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:26 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,356,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
Okay, so did Jesus say if you are not His follower you will go to hell or what? I am not asking about coming to the father, no. I am asking about going to hell. Did the followers of John the baptist, who were also preaching repentence unto salvation, and where not Christs followers, but were neither against Him, did they spend an eternity in hell?
If we do not come to the Father, where would we go?

What do you mean, the "followers" of the John the baptist weren't followers of Christ? John the baptist preached Christ. I don't get your reasoning there.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,513,356 times
Yes he did.

Mark 16:16
"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

John 6:33
For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."

John 6:51
I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever.

Understand that Jesus was making a correlation to what Jewish historians taught...the OT Jews, lead by Moses, were sustained in the desert by God from heaven by manna (bread from heaven). Problem was, they ate manna but still died. Jesus claimed but no longer.

Once again, Jesus was claiming that he is God who came to earth and believing in him, you will live forever. Subsequently, those who do not believe correctly will perish forever.

You must correctly believe in Jesus. What is the correct belief? That Jesus is God, Jesus is a part of the Triune God, who ever believes and is baptized will be saved and those who believe not will be condemned....forever.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:31 AM

14,905 posts, read 17,212,127 times
Hi, anyone who studies the divine law will see that death is the worst possible punishment that can be given out. The maximum penalty is death, even if someone committed multiple murder. There is no sin worthy of being burned in a torture chamber for an eternity. Jesus did not suffer eternal suffering for our sins. He did not go to an eternal inferno. He experienced death, and the wages of sin is death. Eternal hell does not correlate with the agape love or justice of God. God bless.

John 6
48I am the bread of the life;
49your fathers did eat the manna in the wilderness, and they died;
50this is the bread that out of the heaven is coming down, that any one may eat of it, and not die.
51`I am the living bread that came down out of the heaven; if any one may eat of this bread he shall live -- to the age; and the bread also that I will give is my flesh, that I will give for the life of the world.'
52The Jews, therefore, were striving with one another, saying, `How is this one able to give us [his] flesh to eat?'
53Jesus, therefore, said to them, `Verily, verily, I say to you, If ye may not eat the flesh of the Son of Man, and may not drink his blood, ye have no life in yourselves;
54he who is eating my flesh, and is drinking my blood, hath life age-during, and I will raise him up in the last day;
55for my flesh truly is food, and my blood truly is drink;
56he who is eating my flesh, and is drinking my blood, doth remain in me, and I in him.
57`According as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, he also who is eating me, even that one shall live because of me; 58this is the bread that came down out of the heaven; not as your fathers did eat the manna, and died; he who is eating this bread shall live -- to the age. (YLT)

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 03-03-2009 at 09:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity