Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What does fear mean in the Bible?
Be afraid 2 15.38%
Be respectful 4 30.77%
Be careful 0 0%
Be obediant 3 23.08%
Be honoring 1 7.69%
Be loving 0 0%
The word fear should be in context of scripture... explain 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 02:33 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,991,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
To fear the Lord, means to fear the Lord. Does not the scripture say work out your own salvation with fear and trembling? Trembling to me is someone who is afraid. It is written "do not fear him who can kill the body, but he who can kill the body and the soul. This person is God. God will cast us down to hell for our evil ways. He is the one to fear. Satan is just the one who was cast down first into the pit and has to accept anyone who God sticks with him. Remember Hell was created for Satan and his angels. People were not meant to go there, but since there is nowhere else, that is where they end up. And, Satan who hates God, will torture for eternity anyone who bears the image of God and that is every human. Remember we were created in the image of God.

Quote:
And, Satan who hates God, will torture for eternity anyone who bears the image of God and that is every human. Remember we were created in the image of God
Nikki, That just simply is NOT true. Show me Scripture that proves it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 03:00 PM

988 posts, read 1,903,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, phobos=fear capable of good interpretation in which case it is synonymous with godly fear; reverence, or fearfulness, timidity, shrinking for fear. (Hebrew/Greek Key Word study) Evidently the meaning depends on the context of the passage. The passages in 1 John would not mean reverence, but timidity, fearfulness, shrinking in fear. One who has fear as indicated here, has not been perfected in love. Perfect love casts out all fear. God bless.

Very good - now take it to the next step - what is perfect love? Since the same author states that the love of God is to keep His commandments perfect love is .......................................... fill in the blank.

1Jo 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous

And for the final word on what it means to be perfected in love:

1Jo 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1Jo 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

You see there is no fear of punishment for those who keep his commandments because perfect love casteth out fear.

HK

Old 03-03-2009, 03:03 PM

988 posts, read 1,903,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
lol I deserved that. I'm sorry, Harold.

Please don't make me admire you.... Its confusing....

HK

Old 03-03-2009, 03:10 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,168,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
Please don't make me admire you.... Its confusing....

HK

Deb

Old 03-03-2009, 03:11 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Harold, please don't take the thread off track I was talking about the result of being perfected in love.

One who has fear as indicated here, has not been perfected in love. Perfect love casts out all fear.

Quote:
What does it mean to you?
We all understand the precept but what about the principle?
Can fear and faith live together?
Is fear more important than loving God?

Fear is a good thing when it keeps one safe or from harm, but when some use "the fear of God" does it suggest, a sinister side of God to new believers?

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 03-03-2009 at 03:22 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 03:40 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,991,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
In the Greek New Testament "fear" comes from the root "phobos" which means dread - not reverence. Surely you can see the connection between phobos and phobia.

If fear means reverence then this verse would be nonsense:

1Jo 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

By your understanding this verse would mean:

There is no reverence in love; put perfect love casteth out reverence because reverence hath torment.

I know you appreciate my help here so don't bother to thank me...

HK

Luk 12:5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.
Fear has several meanings:

#5399. phobeo fob-eh'-o from 5401; to frighten, i.e. (passively) to be alarmed; by analogy, to be in awe of, i.e. revere:--be (+ sore) afraid, fear (exceedingly), reverence.

There are also several other words besides Phobeo that mean fear...actually the are 14 other words.

Common sense tells you when to use which meaning.

Last edited by mshipmate; 03-03-2009 at 04:04 PM..

Old 03-07-2009, 09:17 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
I've always understood it to be awe and reverence. Another good thread, Dave...thank you for all of them.

Ditto here! the unexplainable reverence. Good thought provoking question.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:59 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
1John 4:18..
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
It says what it says..

Plain and simple truth
No taking it "out of context".
No word by word Greek translation needed.
No "What it really means" to win a debate over who is right or wrong..

I asked my third grade grandson to tell me the meaning of this sentence just now..He read it and said "Mamaw, it means you shouldn't be afraid of someone if you love them" I asked him if he was afraid of me, he laughed and said ""No Mamaw,because I love you....Are we gonna order pizza?"

Old 03-07-2009, 11:05 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,168,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
1John 4:18..
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
It says what it says..

Plain and simple truth
No taking it "out of context".
No word by word Greek translation needed.
No "What it really means" to win a debate over who is right or wrong..

I asked my third grade grandson to tell me the meaning of this sentence just now..He read it and said "Mamaw, it means you shouldn't be afraid of someone if you love them" I asked him if he was afraid of me, he laughed and said ""No Mamaw,because I love you....Are we gonna order pizza?"
LOVE it.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:35 PM

71 posts, read 111,322 times
Who had a father they loved, but feared crossing him? Who has or is capable of perfect love? Very few have seen the face of God as living men. I believe I will tremble. Love, Honor, Obey, Respect, Fear... Yes to all. Awesome thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity