Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:56 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

I found these web sites a few months ago....and while I don't believe everything on there, I have to say they really expanded my understanding of a lot of things.

These sites have TONS and TONS of interesting content (at least to me). I found it really refreshing in so many ways:

Discover the Real Jesus

Mother Mary's Garden

Tyger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 07:27 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
It kills me how people use soundbytes from the bible, praying on the ignorance of people, if you keep reading those verses you will find a passage that totally contradicts the point you are trying to prove with your misinterpretation of that verse represented

"If Jesus is alive today, he must be aware that his teachings have been distorted and his essential message has been lost. He must know that instead of people seeing him as an example to follow, he has been elevated as an idol to worship, as an exception that no one can emulate.

If you were Jesus, how would you correct this problem and make your true teachings available to people in the modern age? Jesus is today an ascended being, and because he is not in embodiment on Earth, he does not have the authority to act directly on Earth. The law of God states that we who are in a physical body have dominion over the Earth......"

That is nothing short of heresy

Old 03-07-2009, 07:33 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
It kills me how people use soundbytes from the bible, praying on the ignorance of people, if you keep reading those verses you will find a passage that totally contradicts the point you are trying to prove with your misinterpretation of that verse represented

yes, and i rather "put up" with a growing "familiarity" with fundamentalist, and the trust in c-d efforts to create a loving familiy than getting lost in all this "wonder"-filled anonymity!

Old 03-07-2009, 07:52 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
yes, and i rather "put up" with a growing "familiarity" with fundamentalist, and the trust in c-d efforts to create a loving familiy than getting lost in all this "wonder"-filled anonymity!

growing? orthodox doctrine was the way until liberal theology made its way distorting God's word spawning thinking like that. If anything orthodox is shrinking, people are moving from the true gospel to have their ears tickled.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
growing? orthodox doctrine was the way until liberal theology made its way distorting God's word spawning thinking like that. If anything orthodox is shrinking, people are moving from the true gospel to have their ears tickled.

this seems hard to believe, at least to me, but tickling one's ears would always have me attentive and interested, so ...

Old 03-07-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:

"If Jesus is alive today, he must be aware that his teachings have been distorted and his essential message has been lost. He must know that instead of people seeing him as an example to follow, he has been elevated as an idol to worship, as an exception that no one can emulate.

If you were Jesus, how would you correct this problem and make your true teachings available to people in the modern age? Jesus is today an ascended being, and because he is not in embodiment on Earth, he does not have the authority to act directly on Earth. The law of God states that we who are in a physical body have dominion over the Earth......"

That is nothing short of heresy
I'm not surprised to hear you say that.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I would say there is a growth in extremism on both ends of the spectrum. There is the "anything goes" crowd. And then there is the "religious legalism" crowd that thinks the Bible has 100% everything you need to know (aka modern day Pharisees). I can't help but think both extremes miss the mark.

Tyger

Old 03-07-2009, 04:40 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I would say there is a growth in extremism on both ends of the spectrum. There is the "anything goes" crowd. And then there is the "religious legalism" crowd that thinks the Bible has 100% everything you need to know (aka modern day Pharisees). I can't help but think both extremes miss the mark.

Tyger
Each "side" has caught a portion of the truth to the exclusion of the rest.
It seems to be true of human nature.

Wisdom does not stay in the middle.
It discerns which "side" to be on for proper application.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
Each "side" has caught a portion of the truth to the exclusion of the rest.
It seems to be true of human nature.

Wisdom does not stay in the middle.
It discerns which "side" to be on for proper application.
then your mind may have to jump back and forth like a greased lightning!
which might lead even an orthodox (arm chair?) shrink to a burn-out syndrome?

Last edited by effie g-tad; 03-07-2009 at 04:57 PM..

Old 03-07-2009, 04:57 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
then your mind may have to jump back and forth like a greased lightning!
Quick like a bunny.

I meant perceiving the whole truth to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity