Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 12:15 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Utter nonsense!
Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 793 times
I think part of the answer to the original question goes back to the definition of "propitiation", used in Romans 3:25, when it says, "whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood" (NKJV). Propitiation is different than atonement. Atonement carries the definition and sense of cleansing (Lev. 17:11 speaks of the atonement by blood); propitiation has the sense of appeasement of wrath (in the original Greek), and it was a word even used by pagans to denote appeasing the wrath of false deities through some form of sacrifice.

As for what the wrath of God is, I'm not sure that this is something that we have to know and understand. However, I feel that part of it, and really the culmination and ultimate wrath of God is separation from Him. Eternity for those without Christ as their Savior will be an eternity separated from God. When Jesus on the cross proclaims "My God, my God why have you forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46, as well as Mark 15) the word "forsaken" is really the idea of leaving someone behind (being separated from them), so that Jesus felt the weight of God's wrath in the Father being separate from Him. How long this separation lasted, we don't know. Was it when Jesus said, "It is finished"? Was it when He rose again 3 days after being buried? Was it when He ascended at the beginning of Acts? We don't know for sure, but there was some separation there, and that is (in my opinion from what I understand in the Bible) the ultimate culmination of God's wrath, separation from Him (spiritual death).

Not sure if this answers your question, but hope it helps somewhat...

Old 11-06-2014, 07:57 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouthGuy2014 View Post
I think part of the answer to the original question goes back to the definition of "propitiation", used in Romans 3:25, when it says, "whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood" (NKJV). Propitiation is different than atonement. Atonement carries the definition and sense of cleansing (Lev. 17:11 speaks of the atonement by blood); propitiation has the sense of appeasement of wrath (in the original Greek), and it was a word even used by pagans to denote appeasing the wrath of false deities through some form of sacrifice.

As for what the wrath of God is, I'm not sure that this is something that we have to know and understand. However, I feel that part of it, and really the culmination and ultimate wrath of God is separation from Him. Eternity for those without Christ as their Savior will be an eternity separated from God. When Jesus on the cross proclaims "My God, my God why have you forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46, as well as Mark 15) the word "forsaken" is really the idea of leaving someone behind (being separated from them), so that Jesus felt the weight of God's wrath in the Father being separate from Him. How long this separation lasted, we don't know. Was it when Jesus said, "It is finished"? Was it when He rose again 3 days after being buried? Was it when He ascended at the beginning of Acts? We don't know for sure, but there was some separation there, and that is (in my opinion from what I understand in the Bible) the ultimate culmination of God's wrath, separation from Him (spiritual death).

My first reply in a few years and this I agree with completely!!!

Old 11-06-2014, 08:02 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouthGuy2014 View Post

There is no separation; and Christ Jesus was never forsaken.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:51 AM

23,138 posts, read 10,434,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Where in the Bible does it say that Jesus bore God the Father's wrath, in our stead? Now I understand blood atonement, so let this discussion not be about this.
But it was MEN who beat and killed the Messiah, not God the Father of us all. Show me please using the Word where it says that Father released His Wrath upon His begotten Son, our Savior, and King.

You climb up and say,'' drive the nails.''

You are the sacrifice, the sacrifice is cut in half and separated, and God walks between the halves.

Nothing has happened unless two die.

You die daily.

Or you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity