Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 10:05 AM

103 posts, read 118,836 times

Advertisements

I've read and heard on Christian talk radio all sorts of negative comments about mega-churches. Everything from not meeting needs to being New Age to being Satanic. Some of this comes from pastors. Are they simply jealous? Passing judgment? Or, are they issuing legitimate warnings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 10:18 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONDerings View Post
I've read and heard on Christian talk radio all sorts of negative comments about mega-churches. Everything from not meeting needs to being New Age to being Satanic. Some of this comes from pastors. Are they simply jealous? Passing judgment? Or, are they issuing legitimate warnings?
On a basic level, the pastor is only able to reasonably know a certain number of people. Once the church grows above a certain level, the pastor ceases to be a shepherd and is more of just a preacher to most of the congregation. The Bible tells pastors to feed the sheep--and to care for them.

Having said that, I have been part of a megachurch where 3000 people attended weekly. The preaching was very good, very sound and Biblical. I only met the senior pastor a few times, but my wife and I were very close to an associate pastor. For all intents, he was our pastor. He knew our kids' names, and the things we had going on in our lives. Such a thing is not necessarily bad.

On the other hand, there are a lot of megachurches in America where the focus is on simply putting butts in the seats each week. Many of these churches have pastors that are under a lot of pressure from their church boards to continue to grow the church. As a result, I think the focus moves from God to entertaining people. That, I think, is a bad thing.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:45 PM

668 posts, read 690,628 times
Quote:
Not sure what you are calling "Christian talk radio" so cannot comment on what they have said. You can find someone to say negative things about anything and anybody.

The first church established had thousands of members. So I don't think the numbers really has anything to do with it. You would need to be specific about a church and the concern with that one church to discuss this responsibly. You cannot broad brush all large churches and be honest. I know there has at times been much made of a church on the West coast. Sometimes very specific and I think legitimate concerns and at other times vague and general things that may or may not have been a real issue. Did you any specific churches that were discussed that you would like to talk about?

Old 12-13-2013, 01:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Well, I know people who attend them and find fulfillment in them. I am not one of those people. Several reasons:

1) They typically succumb to the Entertainment Disease. Of all the people I know who attend, they all seem to go for the music and the wonderful preaching. And then they go home. Even worse are the ones who file into a remote location to essentially watch a television program. What?

2) The pastors really have little true contact with the rank-and-file of their congregations.

3) The services are loud and lack intimacy.

4) All power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. The two big megachurches in my area have pastors living in multimillion-dollar homes in gated communities, drive Mercedes, and take their children on lavish vacations. While I certainly do not believe a clergyman should live in a tarpaper shack, they shouldn't be rich either.

5) No real theology, just whatever the preacher happens to think that moment.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:08 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
There is nothing inherently 'good or bad' about a mega-church of thousands; ... OR a small, single-room church and congregation of ten people.

The problem, particularly in larger churches, seems to be a tendency to lose sight of 'Worshipping Christ for who He is and what He has done'; ... TO a focus on programs, activities and entertainment; --- OR on 'What we are doing and how we look doing it" --

Nevertheless, there will be no 'heavenly determination' of whether one church or denomination is better than another. The reality is that WE (believers in Christ, not the bricks and pews) are actually the CHURCH --- and WE, not our buildings, are individually accountable to our God!

Old 12-13-2013, 01:47 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
.Are they simply jealous? Passing judgment?
I think so. One thing I admire about those fleecing the flock, is you rarely see them criticizing the brethren, not that I ever listen to those guys anymore, but no I cannot recall them being critical or judgmental or trying to put folk right about sin and the bible, they teach what they believe and it was take or leave it, but if you believe it,for a donation of $20 you will get 10 things to do to change your life DVD absolutely free.

I wish would all woke up to how Mega the God within us is, now wouldn't that be amazing. Then no longer will the teach our neighbor, or say to each another, 'Know the Lord,' because we will all know him from the least of us to the greatest.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I think so. One thing I admire about those fleecing the flock, is you rarely see them criticizing the brethren, not that I ever listen to those guys anymore, but no I cannot recall them being critical or judgmental or trying to put folk right about sin and the bible, they teach what they believe and it was take or leave it, but if you believe it,for a donation of $20 you will get 10 things to do to change your life DVD absolutely free.

I wish would all woke up to how Mega the God within us is, now wouldn't that be amazing. Then no longer will the teach our neighbor, or say to each another, 'Know the Lord,' because we will all know him from the least of us to the greatest.
You've never listened to Perry Noble or Steven Furtick?

Old 12-13-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You've never listened to Perry Noble or Steven Furtick?
Never heard of them. Who are they ?.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Never heard of them. Who are they ?.
They're mega-church pastors that have both publicly denounced their congregants for wanting deeper teaching. Furtick also made a video where he called anyone that criticized him a "hater".

Old 12-13-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
They're mega-church pastors that have both publicly denounced their congregants for wanting deeper teaching. Furtick also made a video where he called anyone that criticized him a "hater".
Deeper teaching?, now that could mean 2 things. I've witnessed what one version of it does to folk, not as severe as what happened to the kid of the high profile Christian on the other thread, but damaging none the less. Then there's the deeper meaningful teachings of Jesus which are founded upon loving your neighbor as yourself, knowing you are loved and accepted of God, so that you can love yourself and love other as yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity