Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:46 PM

436 posts, read 1,174,521 times

Advertisements

Over the years, infact generally, I have had a problem with the whole what book is scripturally sound enough to be considered holy. There are books that I truely believe are Inspired by God. But then there are some that.... somewhere in the back of my mind I am skeptical about, but I force my self to see them as the very divine words of God. A classic example in my case would be the books of paul, I tend to look at them as historical recordings from which there are principles to be learned rather than doctrine teachings. Again I will say this and I always say it I love Jesus and I believe He is God, that fact never escapes my mind. But there are other certain facts here that, for most of us, we ignore, all so we can preserve the sanctity and sacredness and peace of our religion. One of them is that a big part of our religion may have been orchestrated by certain men around 2000 years ago . And so my question is shouldn't we accept that a huge part of our religion may be constructed by mere men? And if not can we in any way prove that the books that ended up in our bible are infact there because God saw them as more sound and holy than others? Or just share with us what you think of this little situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 04:34 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,569,673 times
First of all it is not a religion, it is a relationship

Second, you might love Jesus and believe He is God but to say that the bible is not inerrant and infallible is just plain heresy. There are verses that answer your question, to deny any scripture is denying God's word. The bible is the word of God, it was here before creation and it will be here after we are all dust. It's just that there was finally a creation where it could be written and read.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:14 PM

45 posts, read 119,846 times
Hi all,

To me this question (a very common one) comes down to "Who is God?" Is He omnipotent? Is He allknowing? Is He able to keep one book (the Bible, including all 66, not including the apocrypha because even the Catholic church agrees its not on the same level as the rest of Scripture) true to Himself? Or can Paul, or any man, pervert His word to us?
There will be false teachers who take His words and pervert them, but I believe God is powerful enough to keep His word clean and pure and His own, since He says it is how we will know Him.

Katherine

Old 03-29-2009, 06:48 PM

988 posts, read 1,903,695 times
When you think about it - all faith in Jesus begins with faith in the Bible which gives us the historical record of Jesus. Faith is a gift of God and the first gift is a miraculous trust in the Bible as the truth. Faith in the Scriptures must precede Faith in Jesus.

HK

Old 03-29-2009, 07:31 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,987,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
......all faith in Jesus begins with faith in the Bible which gives us the historical record of Jesus...........
Absolute nonsense. My faith began with conversations with Jesus which continue through today.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:50 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,991,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
Over the years, infact generally, I have had a problem with the whole what book is scripturally sound enough to be considered holy. There are books that I truely believe are Inspired by God. But then there are some that.... somewhere in the back of my mind I am skeptical about, but I force my self to see them as the very divine words of God. A classic example in my case would be the books of paul, I tend to look at them as historical recordings from which there are principles to be learned rather than doctrine teachings. Again I will say this and I always say it I love Jesus and I believe He is God, that fact never escapes my mind. But there are other certain facts here that, for most of us, we ignore, all so we can preserve the sanctity and sacredness and peace of our religion. One of them is that a big part of our religion may have been orchestrated by certain men around 2000 years ago . And so my question is shouldn't we accept that a huge part of our religion may be constructed by mere men? And if not can we in any way prove that the books that ended up in our bible are infact there because God saw them as more sound and holy than others? Or just share with us what you think of this little situation.
Quote:
Again I will say this and I always say it I love Jesus and I believe He is God,
Then you would love and revere ALL of the Word for Jesus is the Word. Either you believe this or you don't...

2Ti 3:
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
First of all it is not a religion, it is a relationship

Second, you might love Jesus and believe He is God but to say that the bible is not inerrant and infallible is just plain heresy. There are verses that answer your question, to deny any scripture is denying God's word. The bible is the word of God, it was here before creation and it will be here after we are all dust. It's just that there was finally a creation where it could be written and read.
but who decide that these books with these verses go into the bible? And before the creation of the earth? My brother give me something just a little bit logical to work with here. You are giving me nothing. All I see is here a person who is blindly convinced of something with little reason to back him.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjat32 View Post
Hi all,

To me this question (a very common one) comes down to "Who is God?" Is He omnipotent? Is He allknowing? Is He able to keep one book (the Bible, including all 66, not including the apocrypha because even the Catholic church agrees its not on the same level as the rest of Scripture) true to Himself? Or can Paul, or any man, pervert His word to us?
There will be false teachers who take His words and pervert them, but I believe God is powerful enough to keep His word clean and pure and His own, since He says it is how we will know Him.

Katherine
didn't the church pervert His teachings over the years? That happened.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
When you think about it - all faith in Jesus begins with faith in the Bible which gives us the historical record of Jesus. Faith is a gift of God and the first gift is a miraculous trust in the Bible as the truth. Faith in the Scriptures must precede Faith in Jesus.

HK
No. I have faith in Jesus. I trust Him. That does not stop one from having a filtering system when it comes to scripture. All this means is that we end up having different views of Jesus.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Then you would love and revere ALL of the Word for Jesus is the Word. Either you believe this or you don't...

2Ti 3:
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
And who says or decides all or what books are the words of God?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity