Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 11:10 AM

352 posts, read 554,071 times

Advertisements

Here is problem I have been dealing with in a particular Bible verse.

Hebrews 6:4-6: "Some people cannot be brought back again to a changed life. They were once in God's light, and enjoyed heaven's gift, and share in the Holy Spirit. They found out how good God's word is, and they received the powers of his new world. But they fell away from Christ. It is impossible to bring them back to a changed life again, because they are making the Son of God to a cross again and are shaming him in front of others."

My problem with this verse stems from the fact that a dear friend of mine, who I am quite close to, has recently given up his faith and has become more of an agnostic, maybe even atheist. If I read this verse correctly, God is saying that he may now be beyond salvation entirely, which frankly has me concerned. But before I jump to conclusions, I just want to hear other interpretations of this verse, or if there are additional verses that may help answer my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 11:41 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,593,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero777 View Post
Here is problem I have been dealing with in a particular Bible verse.

Hebrews 6:4-6: "Some people cannot be brought back again to a changed life. They were once in God's light, and enjoyed heaven's gift, and share in the Holy Spirit. They found out how good God's word is, and they received the powers of his new world. But they fell away from Christ. It is impossible to bring them back to a changed life again, because they are making the Son of God to a cross again and are shaming him in front of others."

My problem with this verse stems from the fact that a dear friend of mine, who I am quite close to, has recently given up his faith and has become more of an agnostic, maybe even atheist. If I read this verse correctly, God is saying that he may now be beyond salvation entirely, which frankly has me concerned. But before I jump to conclusions, I just want to hear other interpretations of this verse, or if there are additional verses that may help answer my question.
Since we are spiritually dead then I don't believe we have the power to come to life just the same way we don't have the power to give up our salvation. Please don't take this wrong, I am sure your friend walked the path, talked the lingo even showed some fruits but I doubt he ever came to Christ at all. If he "comes back" then it will be for the first time. I should know I too was like your friend.

Jesus spoke of your friend in the parable of the sower;

The hard ground represents someone who is hardened by sin; he hears but does not understand the Word, and Satan plucks the message away, keeping the heart dull and preventing the Word from making an impression.

The stony ground pictures a man who professes delight with the Word; however, his heart is not changed, and when trouble arises, his so-called faith quickly disappears.

The thorny ground depicts one who seems to receive the Word, but whose heart is full of riches, pleasures, and lusts; the things of this world take his time and attention away from the Word, and he ends up having no time for it.

The good ground portrays the one who hears, understands, and receives the Word—and then allows the Word to accomplish its result in his life.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:54 PM

14,921 posts, read 17,254,394 times
What was impossible through the efforts of the apostles is not impossible for God. He has declared a time when every knee will bow in worship before Him and confess Him willingly. This means that there will be a change in the hearts of those who have rejected Him. All will be reunited in Christ. (Ephesians 1) God bless.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:27 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,607,713 times
Did you ask your friend why? I have known people to get frustrated because of the behavoir of others Christians, pastors, hardship they are going through or just plain tired of waiting on God to leave Christainity all together. But until you ask, you will not discovery the ROOT of the problem. You should approach him as a Friend; not with scripture but with love and prayer, even fasting. Scripture gives you the example of the prodigal son and the shepherd going after the ONE lost sheep... and you may be the one to help bring him back. Satan is HARD at work at destroying the saints and some of his tactics are VERY cunning that we saints don't notice them. So go after your friend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity