Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 02:56 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Harold!.....You take this one for me please!...
Well what commands are you obeying to be more to the point ? , which i am sure you are if you are telling others to .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
the 613 of the Pharisees don't even apply to all people. Some were for women exclusively, some for Levite's or priests and some for men etc. The 10 commandments (5 spiritual and 5 civil) most DEFINITELY will ALWAYS apply to Believers. PERIOD. They were NEVER done away with. To believe so is complete pollution of the Word. Rules formulated by men.....NO absolutely NOT. What do you think Yahushua was speaking against with the Pharisees? Just that......men added laws....NOT the laws and precepts of YHVH our Elohim, the ONE that Yahushua followed in all HIS ways and words.
Dcisive

Do you know there's a new covenant ?

Here's just a taste

7For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another. 8But God found fault with the people and said[b]:
"The time is coming, declares the Lord,
when I will make a new covenant
with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah.
9It will not be like the covenant
I made with their forefathers
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they did not remain faithful to my covenant,
and I turned away from them, declares the Lord.
10This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds
and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
11No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,'
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest.
12For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more."[c]
13By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

You see because they will all know me (intimate relationship)

Knowing Him will produce the life of Jesus in us .

If you do not know Him (in intimacy) all your obeying is in vain.

Depart from me you workers of iniquity i never knew you (had any form of relationship with you)

Old 06-22-2009, 04:33 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Well what commands are you obeying to be more to the point ? , which i am sure you are if you are telling others to .
The Ten Commandments...all ten of them, which include keeping the Sabbath...(I mention this exclusively because it is the one commandment that people rebel over the most, hearing they must keep it.)

These are the Ten Commandments:

Exodus 20:1-17
And God spoke all these words, saying:

"I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
1. "You shall have no other gods before Me.
2. "You shall not make for yourself a carved image - any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
3. "You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
4. "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
5. "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
6. "You shall not murder.
7. "You shall not commit adultery.
8. "You shall not steal.
9. "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10. "You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's."

In Christ's love,
Verna.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:36 PM

988 posts, read 1,903,544 times
Did you overlook my question on purpose or were you not able to answer?

You said:
Quote:
When He said if you love me you will obey my commands , to the carnal mind it seems he's saying obey me , but the truth is He's saying because you love me you will obey my commands.
I replied:

Would it not follow that if we do not obey God's commands we do not love Him?

HK

Old 06-22-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
So why all the talk about obeying commands .
Perhaps you might ask Jesus that question - it is His idea not mine.

Mat 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
Mat 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

According to Jesus keeping the ten commandments is required to have eternal life.

HK

Old 06-22-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
the 613 of the Pharisees don't even apply to all people. Some were for women exclusively, some for Levite's or priests and some for men etc. The 10 commandments (5 spiritual and 5 civil) most DEFINITELY will ALWAYS apply to Believers. PERIOD. They were NEVER done away with. To believe so is complete pollution of the Word. Rules formulated by men.....NO absolutely NOT. What do you think Yahushua was speaking against with the Pharisees? Just that......men added laws....NOT the laws and precepts of YHVH our Elohim, the ONE that Yahushua followed in all HIS ways and words.

Well said!

HK

Old 06-22-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
Perhaps you might ask Jesus that question - it is His idea not mine.

Mat 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
Mat 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

According to Jesus keeping the ten commandments is required to have eternal life.

HK
Now i understand what Jesus meant when He said

14let them alone, guides they are -- blind of blind; and if blind may guide blind, both into a ditch shall fall

Old 06-22-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Depart from me you workers of iniquity i never knew you (had any form of relationship with you)
[/quote]

Ironic that you should quote that verse. The people whom Jesus did not know were those who were breaking His commandments - ie. the "workers of iniquity".

The term workers of iniquity is translated from the Greek "anomian" plural of the root (anomia)

In the epistle of John he states that anomia is "transgression of the law"

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
(anomia)

Again we see the necessity of not transgressing the law for Jesus will say to the transgressors of the law (workers of iniquity) depart from me... I never knew you.

Now you must ask yourself - do I transgress the law?

HK

Old 06-22-2009, 04:59 PM

8If indeed you [really] fulfill the royal Law in accordance with the Scripture, You shall love your neighbor as [you love] yourself, you do well.
9But if you show servile regard (prejudice, favoritism) for people, you commit sin and are rebuked and convicted by the Law as violators and offenders.
10For whosoever keeps the Law [as a] whole but stumbles and offends in one [single instance] has become guilty of [breaking] all of it.
I am sure he is not referring to you because you keep all His commandments and have never broke them.

11For He Who said, You shall not commit adultery, also said, You shall not kill. If you do not commit adultery but do kill, you have become guilty of transgressing the [whole] Law.
12So speak and so act as [people should] who are to be judged under the law of liberty [the moral instruction given by Christ, especially about love]. 13For to him who has shown no mercy the judgment [will be] merciless, but mercy [full of glad confidence

So Verna are you glad you left it in HK'S capable hands ?

Old 06-22-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Now i understand what Jesus meant when He said

14let them alone, guides they are -- blind of blind; and if blind may guide blind, both into a ditch shall fall

Yes - he was speaking of those who contradicted his instruction to "keep the commandments".

I hope you do understand....

HK

"When you start quoting Jesus they run away...." Anon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity