Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,664,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
so clearly the op provokes "thought" by negative insinuations made by others instead of asking questions honestly taking a stand by himself.

this is - imho - bad propaganda (his inalienable right to voice free opinion should not be questioned, however!)

which then only leaves me with the hope that more people actually see what is at stake.
Please feel free to discuss the material in the articles instead of making poor assumptions about my intentions.

Do you see how mysticism could be a bridge between Christianity and Islam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 10:38 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Please feel free to discuss the material in the articles instead of making poor assumptions about my intentions.

Do you see how mysticism could be a bridge between Christianity and Islam?
i see THAT it can, and i wish it would be a bridge ... yes. as to the HOW, this must be left to freedom and goodwill among all people(s).

poor assumptions? battling the distrust within myself, brother!

Old 04-26-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
i see THAT it can, and i wish it would be a bridge ... yes. as to the HOW, this must be left to freedom and goodwill among all people(s).
Interesting. Would you be in support for these two religions to become one?

Old 04-26-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Interesting. Would you be in support for these two religions to become one?
with a little more "intelligence" and (much) more interest in understanding where we all come from and the pathways we have taken, a bit of synchretism (is the word a no-no?) won't hurt, imho.

you don't object to people learning foreign languages, studying international history and other sciences - so would our religions not grow, expand, and -yes!- prosper with us?

besides, these would be "cares of tomorrow" (imho).

Old 04-26-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
with a little more "intelligence" and (much) more interest in understanding where we all come from and the pathways we have taken, a bit of synchretism (is the word a no-no?) won't hurt, imho.

you don't object to people learning foreign languages, studying international history and other sciences - so would our religions not grow, expand, and -yes!- prosper with us?

besides, these would be "cares of tomorrow" (imho).
So, you would welcome the following statement?

Quote:
At the heart of his brand of spurious of Spiritual Formation...is ecumenicism; and for the more hardcore mystics meditation that will, in their minds, quite literally transform people by leading us to a higher consciousness resulting in an improved version of mankind.
Do you believe the Bible saying Jesus is coming to establish His Kingdom on earth?

Old 04-26-2009, 11:02 AM

i41 () have no trouble with (understanding) both - except for the said negative insinuations and the "reality" which both you and i know (ad nauseam, imho).

and i have no trouble either with thinking within different systems, absent a "need" to be hostile towards the respective others.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:10 AM

These things are happening because they must before Christ returns. Scripture tells us a false one world religion will be established in the last days, and this is a good indicator that His return is nigh.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
These things are happening because they must before Christ returns. Scripture tells us a false one world religion will be established in the last days, and this is a good indicator that His return is nigh.
no problem with the scripture and certainly not with the amazing insight into future developments, but definitely a problem with the "fundamentalistic" interpretation of "Christ's return". it's not going to be another messiah established as a world ruler, imho.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:55 AM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,396 times
Quote:
That's ok. If we have the opportunity (not that I want it) to see things come to pass before we are taken up, perhaps your symbolic view will transition to a more literal one.
You mean kinda like seeing a literal 7-headed, 10-horned beast rise up out of the sea?

Not likely.

See, I don't consider it relevant to salvation if we take Revelation literally. I likewise don't necessarily feel that this is all stuff that is yet to take place in the future. (I was going to post some links last night, but I couldn't because the filters here at CD are bleeping out the word "wh**e", and that word was included in the URLs.) I don't weigh myself down with concerns about whether an anti-Christ is going to compel people to accept his mark...if indeed such a person is actually a person at all. I also consider that Revelation may be only a symbolic "summary" of what happened in the early church. Whatever it may be, I don't believe our salvation hinges on whether we believe it to be literal or not.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
You mean kinda like seeing a literal 7-headed, 10-horned beast rise up out of the sea?

Not likely.

See, I don't consider it relevant to salvation if we take Revelation literally. I likewise don't necessarily feel that this is all stuff that is yet to take place in the future. (I was going to post some links last night, but I couldn't because the filters here at CD are bleeping out the word "wh**e", and that word was included in the URLs.) I don't weigh myself down with concerns about whether an anti-Christ is going to compel people to accept his mark...if indeed such a person is actually a person at all. I also consider that Revelation may be only a symbolic "summary" of what happened in the early church. Whatever it may be, I don't believe our salvation hinges on whether we believe it to be literal or not.
I don't think it is a salvation issue either.

And I don't think there will be literal beasts rising up out of the sea. These are symbols of heads, horns, lampstands etc are representative of kings, the Antichrist, kingdoms, and churches.

There is much to be studied in Daniel, Ezekiel, Isaiah, and Revelation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity