Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:13 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Dave,

Maybe through the years your FIL has found that he reaches more people by not putting something like that on the card. It might be a turn off right away. As such if he can not have it on the card and make a contact and THEN inform the new contact of his belief.. maybe that works better for him.

Just a guess from a very suspicious person who, if he saw that on a business card, would be turned off because its weird to me. Weird in the sense that I don't have Jesus printed on my socks or that I don' thave a tatoo of Jesus on my forehead etc etc.

JMO though.

Exactly my thoughts, Big! Thanks for expressing them for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:40 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Dave,

Maybe through the years your FIL has found that he reaches more people by not putting something like that on the card. It might be a turn off right away. As such if he can not have it on the card and make a contact and THEN inform the new contact of his belief.. maybe that works better for him.

Just a guess from a very suspicious person who, if he saw that on a business card, would be turned off because its weird to me. Weird in the sense that I don't have Jesus printed on my socks or that I don' thave a tatoo of Jesus on my forehead etc etc.

JMO though.
I can't believe I'm agreeing with BT! Yes, I completely agree with what you're saying. And as for the Jesus on the socks, mine are in the washing machine!

Old 04-28-2009, 09:51 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave737driver View Post
Hi,
my FIL is a retired presbyterian preacher. I married his only daughter. i think God truly had mercy on me when He gave me my wife.
need some comments.
he hangs with a rich crowd now in florida in the winters and mountains of NC in the summer. nothing against rich though. he grew up poor. I think it has changed him a little. I made some business cards up for him a year ago at his request. i put across the upper right margin above a thin rule, the "words: "disciple of jesus Christ" I thought as a retiree he might like to proclaim His love of the Lord and use it in a way to help sinners.
to have preached his whole adult life and to be retired, i figured wouldn't you want to state what you really are to the stranger?

he didn't like it. it offended him. he asked it to be removed. his excuse was and this is what made me chuckle inside was " i wouldn't want to be confused with a sect out of witchita, ks who call themselves such.

I feel like he is ashamed of the gospel in a way. has he made the presbyterian church which BTW now struggles with doctrinal issues bigger than Christ? I'm talking manmade traditions.

we have discussions from time to time and i found out he was prejudice about inter-racial marriage. he did grow up and preach in the civil rights era. he preached in rural SC where the the klan burned his church down.
I see a little of that generation's bigoted spirit in him welling up and I find the need to have pity and extend him mercy. since he approaches the end of his life in a manner of speaking, my concern for him is "why wouldn't you want to finish the race strong?"

it was a simple little business card for a friend to maybe call about golf or dinner. why be ashamed of the one who gave you life is my basic argument? the bigotry concerns me too.

PS: whenever we chat, If i recite a scripture in my zeal for the word, he gives me that look and mutters, "yeah, yeah, i know that." i am starting to think i need to get a masters to be in the same room

Honestly, I'd tend to side with your FIL on this particular issue.

The "Disciples of Christ" is definitely a specific denomination. So he might honestly not want to be confused with them.

On the other hand, his "retirement behavior" does seem to be a little odd...

Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I can't believe I'm agreeing with BT! Yes, I completely agree with what you're saying. And as for the Jesus on the socks, mine are in the washing machine!
Pigs have the flu
Earthquakes in Mexico
It rained in San Antonio (fyi that hardly ever happens)
The Spurs are down to the Mavs 3-1
Hoosier agrees with BT

Each event by itself isn't a sign..

However all combined.. thats a stew of armageddon!

Old 04-28-2009, 10:31 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Quote:
Hi,
my FIL is a retired presbyterian preacher. I married his only daughter. i think God truly had mercy on me when He gave me my wife.
need some comments.
he hangs with a rich crowd now in florida in the winters and mountains of NC in the summer. nothing against rich though. he grew up poor. I think it has changed him a little. I made some business cards up for him a year ago at his request. i put across the upper right margin above a thin rule, the "words: "disciple of jesus Christ" I thought as a retiree he might like to proclaim His love of the Lord and use it in a way to help sinners.
to have preached his whole adult life and to be retired, i figured wouldn't you want to state what you really are to the stranger?

he didn't like it. it offended him. he asked it to be removed. his excuse was and this is what made me chuckle inside was " i wouldn't want to be confused with a sect out of witchita, ks who call themselves such.

I feel like he is ashamed of the gospel in a way. has he made the presbyterian church which BTW now struggles with doctrinal issues bigger than Christ? I'm talking manmade traditions.

we have discussions from time to time and i found out he was prejudice about inter-racial marriage. he did grow up and preach in the civil rights era. he preached in rural SC where the the klan burned his church down.
I see a little of that generation's bigoted spirit in him welling up and I find the need to have pity and extend him mercy. since he approaches the end of his life in a manner of speaking, my concern for him is "why wouldn't you want to finish the race strong?"

it was a simple little business card for a friend to maybe call about golf or dinner. why be ashamed of the one who gave you life is my basic argument? the bigotry concerns me too.

PS: whenever we chat, If i recite a scripture in my zeal for the word, he gives me that look and mutters, "yeah, yeah, i know that." i am starting to think i need to get a masters to be in the same room
First off, if he was against inter-racial marriage, why would the Klan burn his Church down??? I'd think the Klan would be fine with a Church that had a preacher who was against inter-racial marriage??? That part didn't make sense to me.

I think your FIL is retired, and probably tired, and trying to relax and enjoy himself. I think he asked you to do him a favor by having a business card made for him, and asked you to put certain things on it, and you went and "figured" he would want something else on it, and he didn't like that.

It's really none of your business why he wouldn't want that on the business card.

It sounds to me like you, even though you have good intentions, don't know how to properly respect and treat a senior citizen. Treating them like children, which you're doing, is not how you respect your elders or honor your father (even FIL).

He is not a child. If you had a paying customer who said, "Hey, I need a business card, can you design one for me and have it made?" would you say, "Oh, you know, that Joe goes to my Church, let me add something for him, I'll put a Bible verse on his business card..."???? I'm sure you wouldn't do that for someone else. If you would, then you have bigger issues of respecting what people ask of you. But I think you wouldn't.

You did that the same way a parent would take something a child is having done and alter it, and force the child to do it the parent's way. That's what you did. And I'll bet your FIL was too proud to say so, or too considerate to hurt your feelings, or worse, felt that he was already asking of you and felt bad to say something thinking "beggars can't be choosers".

What you did is disrespectful of the man as a senior citizen, as your Father-in-law, and as a Christian. You do not do things for seniors as if they are kids who can't think for themselves. You do not put your father-in-law, whether he's a preacher or a drunk in the gutter, on the "hot seat" with questions and subvert his authority in your relationship, and you do not look at any fellow Christian and delve into their various words and actions and start trying to read their hearts, which only God can do anyway.

I'm sorry, but your post appalled me, I can't imagine treating my dad or anyone's dad the way you treat your own Father-in-law. I am willing to bet that a lot of his answers that you see as dodgy or shifty are the direct result of you putting him on the spot where he doesn't feel he deserves to be put on the spot by his son-in-law but he is too scared to say anything for fear of damaging his relationship with his only daughter.

You want to do the Christian thing? HONOR the man as your father, which he is, by virtue of you being one flesh with his daughter. Do not read into his words or thoughts, do not treat him like a child. Start treating him with the love of Jesus and you may feel differently about the situation once you remove your own domineering from it.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 AM

381 posts, read 799,064 times
sundance,
whoa there fella, whoa francis. since I don't know his heart, i asked a question and asked for your commnets. no offense taken. I simply don't understand him. also, the racial thing kind of started to get me wondering, questioning who he was , as a man of God. I don't know , but don't judge him otherwise I wouldn't have met his request, done his cards over and said yes sir. I try to honor the man who my wife calls daddy.

for the record, i never liked baby on board danglers, or Jesus is my homeboy tshirts.

as a retiree I thought it could be a tool to minister to folks in his crowd.

al comments are wlecome and as I know in the cockpit there are 360 ways to look at something.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:49 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Quote:
sundance,
whoa there fella, whoa francis. since I don't know his heart, i asked a question and asked for your commnets. no offense taken. I simply don't understand him. also, the racial thing kind of started to get me wondering, questioning who he was , as a man of God. I don't know , but don't judge him otherwise I wouldn't have met his request, done his cards over and said yes sir. I try to honor the man who my wife calls daddy.

for the record, i never liked baby on board danglers, or Jesus is my homeboy tshirts.

as a retiree I thought it could be a tool to minister to folks in his crowd.

al comments are wlecome and as I know in the cockpit there are 360 ways to look at something.
It's not about whether you're right and he's wrong about the verse or whatever being on the card. It has nothing to do with that being a good thing or a bad thing.

The problem is you just DID IT without ASKING him or consulting with him first. You treated the man, who is your father, like a CHILD. That goes against God's Word where it tells you to "HONOR" your mother and father. You didn't honor him. THAT is the problem. Even IF you are right that the verse should be there, that it would be a good witnessing tool - none of that matters because you were disrespectful and presumptuous by just putting it on there.

I'll bet you wouldn't take that from someone, if you asked for something to be done and they just did what they wanted. Even if what they did was good, you would have a problem with the fact that they didn't really listen to you but took matters into their own hands.

There is a definite problem in the relationship there and you don't treat the man with dignity. I feel bad for him.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:52 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,168,113 times
Oh, my. I don't think you did a bad thing, Dave. Not at all. You made him a business card. He didn't like an additional detail. That doesn't seem so hard to take off and reprint. No harm, no foul. Done deal. I'd take the rest to prayer if it's a burden on your mind.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:58 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Hi,
need some comments.

sounds like a good guy that is trying to be PC with a new set of people who are down on church people. but if my son in law were to discuss stuff like this about me on a public forum, i would inform my daughter and cut him loose so fast he would get whiplash.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post

The problem is you just DID IT without ASKING him or consulting with him first. You treated the man, who is your father, like a CHILD. That goes against God's Word where it tells you to "HONOR" your mother and father. You didn't honor him. THAT is the problem. Even IF you are right that the verse should be there, that it would be a good witnessing tool - none of that matters because you were disrespectful and presumptuous by just putting it on there.

I'll bet you wouldn't take that from someone, if you asked for something to be done and they just did what they wanted. Even if what they did was good, you would have a problem with the fact that they didn't really listen to you but took matters into their own hands.

There is a definite problem in the relationship there and you don't treat the man with dignity. I feel bad for him.
What is the problem? How on earth do you see him as treating his FIL as a child? He was trying to do a nice thing. Where do you get this outrageous idea that he was being disrepectful?

The guy was asked to make a business card. I've designed business cards before and sometimes I do take literary license to do something a bit different than expected. Many times the difference is appreciated and well-liked. Other times it's not. No big deal. But to suggest that this guy is treating his FIL like a child is ridiculous and outlandish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity