Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 10:51 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – Former President Jimmy Carter implored fellow Baptists on Saturday to look beyond a range of doctrinal disputes that have split the denomination, and urged them to focus on reconciling under a common cause.

Expanding the focus of a Baptist alliance he helped found, Carter said disagreements over issues such as abortion, homosexuality and the role of women in the church, have divided Baptists.

Jimmy Carter implores Baptists to unite (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090425/ap_on_re_us/us_carter_baptists;_ylt=AsQYU_gDu.QK28XZrcJnk2A7Xs 8F - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
I implore the Baptists to immediately dissolve their multi-million denominations and come join either the Latinists or the Orthodox Church.

Schisms BORE me the most

Sometimes I wish the fourth crusade never happened or Constantinople never had fallen.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:06 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
I implore the Baptists to immediately dissolve their multi-million denominations and come join either the Latinists or the Orthodox Church.

Schisms BORE me the most

Sometimes I wish the fourth crusade never happened or Constantinople never had fallen.
I, myself being a Baptist, like the autonomy that each Baptist church holds. We don't believe in a pope or arch bishop controlling thousands of churches when a local shepherd or pastor as we call him can do so without having to adhere to the rulership of some man, who by the way isn't the head of the church anyway. Last time I read the bible, Jesus Christ is the head of the church where we all should be getting our spiritual guidance from, and through the WORD of God. As far as Baptists being divided, that's part of human nature especially when different interpretations of the bible are in the mix. It's a sad reality of being religous.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:12 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – Former President Jimmy Carter implored fellow Baptists on Saturday to look beyond a range of doctrinal disputes that have split the denomination, and urged them to focus on reconciling under a common cause.

Expanding the focus of a Baptist alliance he helped found, Carter said disagreements over issues such as abortion, homosexuality and the role of women in the church, have divided Baptists.

Jimmy Carter implores Baptists to unite (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090425/ap_on_re_us/us_carter_baptists;_ylt=AsQYU_gDu.QK28XZrcJnk2A7Xs 8F - broken link)

lol.....Not like Jimmy is even a baptist. One of the main tenets of being a Baptist is to believe in the exclusivity of Christ. He doesn't believe that.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:25 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I, myself being a Baptist, like the autonomy that each Baptist church holds. We don't believe in a pope or arch bishop controlling thousands of churches when a local shepherd or pastor as we call him can do so without having to adhere to the rulership of some man, who by the way isn't the head of the church anyway. Last time I read the bible, Jesus Christ is the head of the church where we all should be getting our spiritual guidance from, and through the WORD of God. As far as Baptists being divided, that's part of human nature especially when different interpretations of the bible are in the mix. It's a sad reality of being religous.
Antredd, according to doctrine, the church "is" the bride/body of Christ.

Look what we have done in 2000 years.

WE have pretty much divided this body like mice do with swiss cheese, and most of the time, we're fighting one another over doctrine.

When a body is divided, it goes dysfunctional.

I'm saying the world needs to get back to grassroots.

There should be one church founded by the Apostles. And that's it.

Given that this is an impossibility, with the divisive nature of power freaks of each faction, I don't mind settling with the one true schism, a schism over serious theology, with the latinists and greeks.

Everything that stemmed out of the Reformation was a non-necessity. Adventism, J Witness, born-agains of much later stages is sheer atrocity. I don't like it at all, IMHO

Old 04-28-2009, 06:38 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
The ol' scripture twister Jimmy Carter himself.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:01 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Antredd, according to doctrine, the church "is" the bride/body of Christ.

Look what we have done in 2000 years.

WE have pretty much divided this body like mice do with swiss cheese, and most of the time, we're fighting one another over doctrine.

When a body is divided, it goes dysfunctional.

I'm saying the world needs to get back to grassroots.

There should be one church founded by the Apostles. And that's it.

Given that this is an impossibility, with the divisive nature of power freaks of each faction, I don't mind settling with the one true schism, a schism over serious theology, with the latinists and greeks.

Everything that stemmed out of the Reformation was a non-necessity. Adventism, J Witness, born-agains of much later stages is sheer atrocity. I don't like it at all, IMHO
Jesus Christ founded the church, and the apostles are the ones, who started the churches that eventually spread around the entire world. I do understand what you are saying about the many different denonminations, and that's why I don't get caught up in deonminationism simply because when we do, we steer away from the WORD of God then our religion becomes more important than Christ when trying to get people to accept Christ to get to the Father. That's all that I am saying. The Baptists are no more right than any other religion when it comes to sound doctrine. It's simply the WORD of God that stands on its own merit--nothing more, nothing less. Religion is a way to help guide us with other believers who think, wanna worship the way we like, and interpret the bible the way we do as well.

One thing that I don't do like is when people from religions that teach that they are the only true worshippers or the only ones who seem to have it right in their interpretation of the WORD. How dare anyone be that arrogant in thinking that their knowledge of the WORD of God makes them superior than others. What I have learned, and I have been whipped badly by God, is when I think that I know more than others and that God has given me all of this biblical knowledge, I become instantly humbled when someone stands me CORRECT using the WORD of God to show me that I don't know as much as I thought I have studied. All we can do is let the Holy Spirit guide us to all truth, and humbly do so. If we all who are professing Christians can just Show love, preach Christ, and let God through the Holy Spirit do the rest, then all of this divisiveness would end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity