Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:57 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,785 times

Advertisements

Just remember those who try to think for you...are not walking in the Lord. We are to love our brothers and sisters, not judge nor condemn them. We are to help them in any way that we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
Just remember those who try to think for you...are not walking in the Lord. We are to love our brothers and sisters, not judge nor condemn them. We are to help them in any way that we can.
Isn't it our Christian duty to lovingly and respectfully confront the person with his sin?

Old 05-14-2009, 02:07 PM

142 posts, read 501,490 times
Going to church is about more than being convicted of your sin. Its about being a part of a covenant community that praises God. Its about hearing the Word, sacraments, assurance of pardon, practicing stewardship, learning, service to others, socializing. I am a pretty well-behaved person but I've broken most of the 10 commandments figuratively, if not literally.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:13 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,785 times
Fundy, I agree with you to a point if you can confront without judgement or condemnation. It's all in the approach in my opinion. Someone stated earlier about there are those here that would try to think for you and say that you are wrong if it doesnt agree with them.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:22 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,176,247 times
You can grow out of a body of believers, if it's not willing to let the Spirit move - this is the situation we faced a number of years ago. I won't get into it out of respect to others in the body, but it can be a patience maker.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:08 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,002,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Isn't it our Christian duty to lovingly and respectfully confront the person with his sin?
I've watched this get completely out of hand as all kinds of modern day wannabe Elijahs com out of the woodwork thinking they are god's voice on earth. It's a very quick path toward smug self-righteousness. In fact, people who LOVE this approach are normally people who enamored with Old Testament style fire and brimstone, "god's gonna get ya" theology. They get all moist when they read stories of god's warnings and subsequent pronouncement of judgment.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:17 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
As most of you around here know, I am a former Pentecostal. Not the most popular religious sect here. But I digress....We would have those services where the preacher would be up there saying "thank god that he's brought you from the muck and mire you were in..." (shouting it mostly) And I would sit there with my phony smile pretending agree with him. But in my head I'd be thinking....what muck?! What mire?! I wasn't a big time sinner! Never committed adultery, killed anyone, wasn't a habitual liar, didn't have a golden calf in my living room, heck I never smoked, drank, didn't even swear too much....not that those are provable sins....but I was and am a stand up citizen, wife, mother (that part is questionable though as kids can make one insane) So what was I supposed to be jumping up and down and shouting for? What was I delivered from?! T.V.? (forbidden there) Secular music? (also forbidden) Cutting my hair? (forbidden) Wearing Pants? (forbidden) Going swimming? (forbidden) Movie theaters? (forbidden) Why do we deserve (supposedly) to burn in hell even though we are decent law abiding people??? Just cause I say I believe in Jesus on top of it makes me saved from the hell for bad people? I don't get it. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Anyhow. Done ranting.

I think it is hard to get a lot from a Church when all you have is the Word. Most Protestant denominations only have the Word, however very few with the exception of Anglicans and Eastern Orthodox have the presence of God that the Roman Catholic Church has. What good is it to listen to someone preach when all you are doing is listening to someone preach, and not receiving Christ in his spiritual form?

Old 05-14-2009, 04:21 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
I get sick to death of reading how a person must be bitter because of a church experience. They go on to trash a person. The problem CAN and many times DOES lie within a church building.
The synopsis was not made because of the church experience but because of some of the person's posts.

I would say there are probably only a tiny, tiny minority of churches operating as they biblically should.

Quote:
Have none of you that resort to bitter-bashing ever been to a church where the pastor is treated as the equivalent of our Savior? Where the women in the church compete for position? Where there is so much gossiping and looking down on fellow members that the Spirit couldn't possibly be there?
I don't go to church often so you won't find me disagreeing with you finding faults with churches. That being said, churches are important.

Quote:
It happens.

It is quite possible it wasn't Dani's fault. My, how we jump to conclusions.
Yes, you've jumped to conclusions.

Quote:
It is also possible that the Lord had Dani go through that church experience for a reason that is to HIS good purpose. It could be that she is floundering in a wilderness right now, and He will bring her to Him when His time is right.

The possibilities are endless.
Quite possible indeed but in the meantime, she is in the wilderness and floundering and beholden to sin.

Quote:
I feel for you, Dani. Hang in there.
Amen.

Quote:
Love your posts and your questions.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
oh ok....I stand corrected. I am just saying there is a need for good biblical leadership in a church, remember the bible refers to us as sheep, we are as dumb as they come and the shepherd is to lead us. I know it is sad that some people gossip in the church but sometimes some women AND men grew up that way and believe that is the way it is- they don't know better. Too many pastors are shirking their responsibilities. Many churches need a good rebuke from time to time. I know I do.
The unfortunate part is people don't understand love. They think love has no standards and forgives without thinking. They believe there is no need for discipline and God will sort it all out.

"Those who sin are to be rebuked publicly, so that the others may take warning."

"Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction."

"This testimony is true. Therefore, rebuke them sharply, so that they will be sound in the faith..."

"These, then, are the things you should teach. Encourage and rebuke with all authority. Do not let anyone despise you."

"And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons:
"My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline,
and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
because the Lord disciplines those he loves,
and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son"

"Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent."

Obviously we aren't to be 24/7 "rebukers" but it is a duty of ours and when the opportunity presents itself we are to do our duty.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
For someone who says they've only been a Christian for one year, you sure do seem to think you know it all!
If you believe him to be wrong, correct him otherwise what was the point of that post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity