Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:22 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,872,388 times

Advertisements

“Great appreciation” of the Holy See for the speech delivered today by President Barack Obama in Cairo was expressed by the Vatican spokesperson, Fr. Federico Lombardi. It was a “very important” speech, Lombardi told the ANSA news agency, “very significant,” not only in terms of relations between the United States and the Islamic world, but in view of international peace.

Obama offers spiritual vision for global peace | National Catholic Reporter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 11:08 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,751,715 times

I don't mind the reach-out and other group therapy sessions of hugging each other/huddling. Perfectly fine, I can appreciate human togetherness.

But when will they reach out to the other side? Stop burning effigies, stop org@sming on remote theological lectures on a Byzantine emperor, or send a teddy bear British teacher to jail and root for her imprisonment.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:19 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,076,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post

I don't mind the reach-out and other group therapy sessions of hugging each other/huddling. Perfectly fine, I can appreciate human togetherness.

But when will they reach out to the other side? Stop burning effigies, stop org@sming on remote theological lectures on a Byzantine emperor, or send a teddy bear British teacher to jail and root for her imprisonment.
I'm pretty sure it will happen right away... I mean Obama just gave the speech within the last 24 hours right.. We should expect a complete change immediately.. seems right.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I'm pretty sure it will happen right away... I mean Obama just gave the speech within the last 24 hours right.. We should expect a complete change immediately.. seems right.
You should be living in the world of Alice in Wonderland, bigthirsty

The Islamic world has just one reaction to Obama or whichever panderer who heads for the middle east - SKEPTICISM

Have you ever been there? One of the first things taught to a five or six year old is the Crusades.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
You should be living in the world of Alice in Wonderland, bigthirsty

The Islamic world has just one reaction to Obama or whichever panderer who heads for the middle east - SKEPTICISM

Have you ever been there? One of the first things taught to a five or six year old is the Crusades.
Its called sarcasm.. which was in response to your ridiculous thought that some how thousands of years of history would be erased with a speech. Nobody expects that. However, it is an attempt to make a first step (somebody has to right?). Instead of wondering when they will change.. just appreciate for one tiny little second the olive branch that was put forth.. even if it was symbolic at best.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,947,024 times
I am still not pleased with the liberals attitude that it is not our businesss when women and others are mistreated to not speakout because its done by a foreign country. They seem to now have taken a its none of our businesss attitude now that they have to deal with these countries when they were so outraged when they were not in power.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Its called sarcasm.. which was in response to your ridiculous thought that some how thousands of years of history would be erased with a speech. Nobody expects that. However, it is an attempt to make a first step (somebody has to right?). Instead of wondering when they will change.. just appreciate for one tiny little second the olive branch that was put forth.. even if it was symbolic at best.
I am not "stupid"

No speech is gonna erase the crusades. No pandering's gonna work.

The olive branch is negligible, big man

If you believe in symbolisms and "olive branches" you are not looking deep into the west-east relationship, founded by two thousand years of conflict.

This goes all the way back to Xerxes. Obama is a negligible microscope item.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I am still not pleased with the liberals attitude that it is not our businesss when women and others are mistreated to not speakout because its done by a foreign country. They seem to now have taken a its none of our businesss attitude now that they have to deal with these countries when they were so outraged when they were not in power.
liberal attitude about other countries treatment of women?

you shop at wal-mart lately? have any asian cars? really?

Old 06-04-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I am not "stupid"
Never said you were.

Quote:
No speech is gonna erase the crusades. No pandering's gonna work
Never said it was

Quote:
The olive branch is negligible, big man
In your opinion

Quote:
If you believe in symbolisms and "olive branches" you are not looking deep into the west-east relationship, founded by two thousand years of conflict.
I understand the history thank you very much.

I also understand that in order to move forward.. somebody has to take a first step. Do I think Obama's speech somehow changed the world today? Uhh no. I do believe he did more good than harm today and every little bit counts in that region.

Quote:
This goes all the way back to Xerxes. Obama is a negligible microscope item.
Ok

Old 06-04-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
In your opinion
Not entirely. We'll take a tour of the Islamic world and throw the toss.

Obama Vs Osama.

I'm pretty sure you and I agree who wins this poll, hands down.

Quote:
I understand the history thank you very much.
May I add the word "utopian" in there?

Quote:
I also understand that in order to move forward.. somebody has to take a first step. Do I think Obama's speech somehow changed the world today? Uhh no. I do believe he did more good than harm today and every little bit counts in that region.
I know the move-forwards big thirsty. Seen them all my life. Tony was born in 1980, had his daddy explain him the collapse of the berlin wall/soviet empire at 9. I rooted for the USA to kick Saddam's bum when I was 11, largely to agitate the muslim boys in school. Then I grew up and saw Yasser Arafat speaking in the UN. My ears picked the fancy words from the "hot" BBC news-reader - first step to the roadmap to israeli-palestinian peace. Then there was Yitzak Rabin, dead and gone, Barak, Arafat and Clinton in Camp David. Shimon Perez, always sticking around (finds some Israeli ministerial portfolio every time, like russian roulette), Hezbollah, Hamas, US middle east envoys, W., Abbas, Saeb Erakat, Jenin, Sharon, Ismael Haniyeh, UN resolutions, UN sec. generals....... the first step is the same and is here to stay. I will die, seeing the same, my grandsons will die seeing the same too. Please tell me you are a huge believer in first steps

Quote:
Ok
Ok, I'll wind my rhetoric down. You can see him with the naked eye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity