Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:49 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times

Advertisements

First and foremost I had no argument with Obama talking to the nation's youth but my argument was the content of the speech from a person who claims to be a Christian. Any true Christian recognizes that all the good they do is because of God and all the bad we do is our true sinful adaemic nature being displayed.

A true Christian would always give God the glory, we would recognize that without God we are nothing; just a pile of dirt. Everything we acomplished in life whether we are a believer or not is the result of God's goodness. We want to be better in life; be the best student, be the best employee, be the best husband so as to please God and do what is right to glorify God and not from a selfish, self fulfillment manner not to say, that is evil in of itself but trying to do it on your own either thinking God is not needed or wanted makes it evil and sinful.

The ironic part was that his speech undid what he sought out to promote among the children (to better themselves for the good of their country) which can only result without God in one's life. Obama's speech was there to inspire our nation's youth but instead of God being the focal point it was President Obama. From this Christian's perspective it was an empty message, same old wordly shallow message with a different face. This was not some sinister agenda of President Obama it was just the result of his worldly thinking-that we can still live worldly with God in words but not in action. If he is a Christian then he is a very immature Christian. Pray that Obama grows spiritually.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 09-09-2009 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 12:28 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
First and foremost I had no argument with Obama talking to the nation's youth but my argument was the content of the speech from a person who claims to be a Christian. Any true Christian recognizes that all the good they do is because of God and all the bad we do is our true sinful adaemic nature being displayed.

A true Christian would always give God the glory, we would recognize that without God we are nothing; just a pile of dirt. Everything we acomplished in life whether we are a believer or not is the result of God's goodness. We want to be better in life; be the best student, be the best employee, be the best husband so as to please God and do what is right to glorify God and not from a selfish, self fulfillment manner not to say, that is evil in of itself but trying to do it on your own either thinking God is not needed or wanted makes it evil and sinful.

The ironic part was that his speech undid what he sought out to promote among the children (to better themselves for the good of their country) which can only result without God in one's life. Obama's speech was there to inspire our nation's youth but instead of God being the focal point it was President Obama. From this Christian's perspective it was an empty message, same old wordly shallow message with a different face. This was not some sinister agenda of President Obama it was just the result of his worldly thinking-that we can still live worldly with God in words but not in action. If he is a Christian then he is a very immature Christian. Pray that Obama grows spiritually.
Find me one American President that has gone on TV in an address to school children across America that has professed his faith in such an outwardly manner in which you believe they should.

There is something called political and spiritual decorum..

Old 09-09-2009, 12:28 PM

97 posts, read 110,703 times
Keep in mind that while Obama may be a Christian, he must be able to deliver a speech that appeals to youth of other faiths and secular youth. In a country with religious freedom, we cannot have a president encouraging the people to live their lives for God, whether he himself believes it or not. Not to mention, it would be total political suicide. If there wan't already enough uproar over this 'controversy' then what you're proposing would certainly do the trick. I'm sure that President Obama does aim to please God in his daily life. Whether he is doing well or not is a matter of personal interpretation, but I have no doubt he as a person tries to be good Christian.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:34 PM

That's irrelevant what his faith or other's faiths are. A mature Christian would not deliver such a message whether he believed it or not. I personally cringe when one person thanks me, or say I did excellent work let alone promote my or other's accomplishments to millions of impressionable youth.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:38 PM

97 posts, read 110,703 times
I don't feel like Obama tried to glorify himself in the speech. He never said what he did was amazing, he was trying to say that he had it rough, which is true, so there's no excuse for anyone else not living up to their full potential. God has a purpose for all of us, but we can't fullfill it unless we live up to our full potential. Obama was just trying to help our youth realize there is nothing holding them back from being what God wants them to be. He just didn't say it like that because, again, it's not the proper setting to promote a certain faith.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymd View Post
I don't feel like Obama tried to glorify himself in the speech. He never said what he did was amazing, he was trying to say that he had it rough, which is true, so there's no excuse for anyone else not living up to their full potential. God has a purpose for all of us, but we can't fullfill it unless we live up to our full potential. Obama was just trying to help our youth realize there is nothing holding them back from being what God wants them to be. He just didn't say it like that because, again, it's not the proper setting to promote a certain faith.
I didn't say, he was trying to glorify himself but without God that IS the end result no matter how you slice it. Either He gets the glory or you do.

God is not only a faith but THE way of life. Unless the world learns this they are doomed so why as a Christian would you promote or support such an illusion to a dead, dying, lost world?

Old 09-09-2009, 01:02 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
I didn't say, he was trying to glorify himself but without God that IS the end result no matter how you slice it. Either He gets the glory or you do.

God is not only a faith but THE way of life. Unless the world learns this they are doomed so why as a Christian would you promote or support such an illusion to a dead, dying, lost world?

Wanting to see yourself as a pathetic wretch is a personal problem, not one even a "true" christian has to share. Some peoples lives are nothing but doom because they listen to garbage like this.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Wanting to see yourself as a pathetic wretch is a personal problem, not one even a "true" christian has to share. Some peoples lives are nothing but doom because they listen to garbage like this.
I would love to see at least one verse interpreted correctly to support your position?

Old 09-09-2009, 01:27 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
I would love to see at least one verse interpreted correctly to support your position?
Well there's dogma for ya.

I really am not interested in what you believe is correct intepretation anymore when it is obvious that correct to you means we all walk around as lowly scum and of course if YOU are scum everyone else is too, what a joke.

Like I said, that is YOUR personal problem and others who view themselves as such pathetic creatures

Old 09-09-2009, 01:31 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,259 times
-I feel the love-lol, there really is a reason these old wise people tell us not to mix politics and religion in discussions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity