Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 02:03 PM

357 posts, read 1,463,038 times

Advertisements

IN a Biblical worldview, do pagan gods exist (as they are depicted in the ancient myths and legends)? Most people who read Genesis know of the fallen angels who came to Earth and raped the wives of men, created giants who possessed Herculean qualities....Did these "fallen angels" present themselves as "gods"? Were they actually named "ganesha", "apollo" and "Anubis"? Was it the power of Ra or Thoth that actually turned the Egyptian seer's rods into snakes during their contest of miracles with Moses?

Daniel mentions the angel Michael overpowering the "angels" of Persia and Greece...was Michael fighting Ahura Mazda and Zeus?

Can it be assumed that even today, somewhere in some netherworld, there is really a big viking guy with a winged helmet who calls himself Thor?

I heard of some Christians who actually claim to have met the Canaanite god "dagon" and exorcized his spirit from a posessed girl. If the canaanite gods are real and if they are demons, does it mean that Ganesha, Zeus and Thor are real demons? Can a person be possessed by Thor?

Old 05-20-2010, 03:23 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
These pagan demonic, and fallen angel gods are not Supernatural Like the Most High God the Lord Jesus Christ . ... Most of these so called god of the past if there is no authority in the world for a fallen angel god then the Lord God will send that fallen angel god to the abyss where it will stay there until the authority comes back to the earth or never again......Just like the days to come when the harlot of babylon and the false prophet are rejected in the earth, the Lord Jesus said he will come and remove these fallen angels and get rid of them...All the fallen angels god and demons gods have power in the natural only of the earth and do not go to Heaven to condemn the people of the earth....Where the Lord God is supernatural and can move beyond the realm of the earth to Heaven and beyond........

Old 05-20-2010, 03:50 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
IN a Biblical worldview, do pagan gods exist (as they are depicted in the ancient myths and legends)? Most people who read Genesis know of the fallen angels who came to Earth and raped the wives of men, created giants who possessed Herculean qualities....Did these "fallen angels" present themselves as "gods"? Were they actually named "ganesha", "apollo" and "Anubis"? Was it the power of Ra or Thoth that actually turned the Egyptian seer's rods into snakes during their contest of miracles with Moses?

Daniel mentions the angel Michael overpowering the "angels" of Persia and Greece...was Michael fighting Ahura Mazda and Zeus?

Can it be assumed that even today, somewhere in some netherworld, there is really a big viking guy with a winged helmet who calls himself Thor?

I heard of some Christians who actually claim to have met the Canaanite god "dagon" and exorcized his spirit from a posessed girl. If the canaanite gods are real and if they are demons, does it mean that Ganesha, Zeus and Thor are real demons? Can a person be possessed by Thor?

Well, they are alive and well on our signs and symbols. I just passed Thor Exit in Spokane. . And some Mazdas. And I'm typing this on an iPhone, created by Apple; of course the symbol on my iPhone is an Apple with a bite taken out of it.

Sorry I don't have a serious answer for you. I'm in the middle of studying some of these things right now, though.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:09 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,714 times
Quote:

or maybe the hebrew God is a demon since He is the one who is torturing people for eternity........you dont see Ghanesh or Vishnu doin anything as inhumane as this,and guess what th hindu deity's outdate your bible!!!!!..........and the knowledge from the veda's is as pure as water and most profound,they are the only scriptures in the world that have solid knowledge of God,the soul,consioussness,modes of nature and their effect like karma,and a hell of alot of spiritual topic's......Jesus' teachings are very similar to the mood and teachings of the Vaishnava's,probly because He spent so much time in India,them 18 years missing from the bible?????

Old 05-21-2010, 03:40 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:

Hell no!! What makes you think we would believe in Greek mythology!? The bible clearly states there is no other God or Gods before him! He is the one true living God! Why must you ask these obvious questions? Another day, another atheistic stir up!

Old 05-21-2010, 04:50 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Hell no!! What makes you think we would believe in Greek mythology!? The bible clearly states there is no other God or Gods before him! He is the one true living God! Why must you ask these obvious questions? Another day, another atheistic stir up!

Who is like to you, O LORD, among the gods? who is like you, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders? - Exodues 15:11

Among the gods there is none like to you, O Lord; neither are there any works like to your works. - Psalm 86:8

What other gods are these that the biblical god is being compared to by the "god-inspired" writers?

"You must have no other gods before/besides me", FIRST assumes that other gods must exist. I implore you to do a little research on the tern henotheism.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:48 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Quote:
My mistake. The thread did ask "from a Christian perspective." In that sense, I realize Christians are NOT supposed to believe other gods exist despite what their holy book says (at least at one point).

Old 06-10-2010, 02:16 PM

I'm just bringing this thread up again, because my question seems to be misunderstood...I am not an atheist trying to get Christians to admit they believe in Greek mythology, I am a Christian and i am seriously worried about Greek Mythology being true and being demonic.

I really enjoy reading about ancient Greece and it's myths and going to museums and looking at their artifacts...but i am afraid that this interest may result in me commiting sins, or worse , becoming demonically posessed if Greek gods are real, and they are the demons/fallen angels spoken of in Genesis who came down to Earth before the flood and created the Nephilim.

I have thought about naming future pet cats after Zeus and Apollo, but am afraid that it will either make my God mad or it will invoke the spirits of fallen angels who will try to possess me or hurt me in some way. I don't mean to invoke or worship Zeus or Apollo, I just think the names are cool and they are kind of cool in a superhero sort of way, like Iron man or Batman.

Also I am afraid that if I go to a museum, the Greek statues will have demonic spirits in them, after all, God did tell the Israelites to smash any pagan statue since it was cursed and not to even take the melted gold from them. I think Greek statues look great as art, but am afraid to even buy small replica at the museum gift shop....Have museums brought a curse on the nation of displaying pagan statues rather than smashing them to dust?

THis might sound really stupid, but I am a believer of the Bible, so i take God's word seriously, but i really want to know if Greek mythology is a vessel for real demons because i really like it from a literary and artistic perspective

Old 06-10-2010, 02:23 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,236 times
Quote:
Well.....hmmmmm.

Check out your government buildings and churches. Check out the images on your money. Check out your car's and corporation's symbols. Just start looking.

You are in the middle of a very dark place. Don't you worry, though. He concludeth ALL in unbelief.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:34 PM

Also, if Greek gods are not real and not demons and just made up, how are they any differant than Batman or Superman? I realise that the Greek gods were worshipped in the past, but now they are not. Maybe a few fringe groups do worship them, but some fringe losers also worship superman and batman and the Jedi force from Star Wars.

Are Superheros permissable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity