Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,772,098 times

Advertisements

These are the words of Martin Luther ...

Quote:
“I greatly longed to understand Paul’s Epistle to the Romans and nothing stood in the way but one expression, ‘the justice of God,’ because I took it to mean that justice whereby God is just and deals justly in punishing the unjust. My situation was that, although an impeccable monk, I stood before God as a sinner troubled in conscience, and I had no confidence that my merit would assuage him. Therefore I did not love a just and angry God, but rather hated and murmured against him. Yet I clung to the dear Paul and had a great yearning to know what he meant.”
“Night and day I pondered until I saw the connection between the justice of God and the statement that ‘the just shall live by faith.’ Then I grasped that the justice of God is that righteousness by which through grace and sheer mercy God justifies us through faith. Thereupon I felt myself to be reborn and to have gone through open doors into paradise. The whole of Scripture took on a new meaning, and whereas before the ‘justice of God’ had filled me with hate, now it became to me inexpressibly sweet in great love. This passage of Paul became to me a gate to heaven.”

Martin Luther

If Luther was a sinner even after he became a Christian, and admitted as much and wrote of the freedom he received and the true sense of being born again when he realized the bible taught that faith was accounted man as righteousness, why do so many Christians here on this site speak of being without sin and that only people who never sin are truly Christians? I believe it to be because of dishonesty and pride ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 08:15 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,201,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
...why do so many Christians here on this site speak of being without sin and that only people who never sin are truly Christians? I believe it to be because of dishonesty and pride ...
I have never read any Christian here declaring they are without sin. To do so is a grave misunderstanding of grace and the truths of the Bible. All Christians sin to one degree or another. I sure many on this forum sin everyday. Our goal as repentant, born again, Spirit filled believers is to not sin.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:24 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,442,657 times
Ironmaw,

Sin has been defeated. Christians still sin, but the blood of Jesus Christ has washed that sin away in the sight of God amongst believers, therefore, it has been defeated.
The whole purpose of the cross.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I have never read any Christian here declaring they are without sin. To do so is a grave misunderstanding of grace and the truths of the Bible. All Christians sin to one degree or another. I sure many on this forum sin everyday. Our goal as repentant, born again, Spirit filled believers is to not sin.

You haven't? Just wait and follow this thread a while and you likely will ...

Quote:
Posted by Scitamicks

Ironmaw,

Sin has been defeated. Christians still sin, but the blood of Jesus Christ has washed that sin away in the sight of God amongst believers, therefore, it has been defeated.

I understand Sciotamicks, and i agree wholeheartedly ... But some here at C-D do not ...

Old 11-10-2009, 09:00 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,466,799 times
Yes, people here have claimed to be without sin, excuse me, I meant "willful sin" . . . .

Old 11-10-2009, 10:40 PM

988 posts, read 1,904,780 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
These are the words of Martin Luther ...

If Luther was a sinner even after he became a Christian, and admitted as much and wrote of the freedom he received and the true sense of being born again when he realized the bible taught that faith was accounted man as righteousness, why do so many Christians here on this site speak of being without sin and that only people who never sin are truly Christians? I believe it to be because of dishonesty and pride ...
Spiritually speaking Luther was one sick puppy and a rabid anti-Semite. In reference to the spiritual side I can understand why you might be attracted to his teachings.

For example:

Luther:
"No sin can separate us from Him, even if we were to kill or commit adultery thousands of times each day."

"Luther's Correspondence", Lutheran
Publication Society, Philadelphia, 1918, II, p.50

“Be a sinner, and sin boldly, but believe more boldly still.”

“The Saints must be good, downright sinners.”
(“Table Talk”, 1472)(E62, 165)."

-Martin Luther (On the Jews and Their Lies)
They [rulers] must act like a good physician who, when gangrene has set in proceeds without mercy to cut, saw, and burn flesh, veins, bone, and marrow. Such a procedure must also be followed in this instance. Burn down their synagogues, forbid all that I enumerated earlier, force them to work, and deal harshly with them, as Moses did... If this does not help we must drive them out like mad dogs.

HK

Old 11-10-2009, 10:43 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,510,121 times
the great longing of the christian is to come clean and be square with god, it rarely happens unless you die a quick and sudden death.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-10-2009 at 11:00 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
Spiritually speaking Luther was one sick puppy and a rabid anti-Semite. In reference to the spiritual side I can understand why you might be attracted to his teachings.

For example:

Luther:
"No sin can separate us from Him, even if we were to kill or commit adultery thousands of times each day."

They [rulers] must act like a good physician who, when gangrene has set in proceeds without mercy to cut, saw, and burn flesh, veins, bone, and marrow. Such a procedure must also be followed in this instance. Burn down their synagogues, forbid all that I enumerated earlier, force them to work, and deal harshly with them, as Moses did... If this does not help we must drive them out like mad dogs.

HK
See, this person is a prime example of Christians who believe they do not sin.

By the way Harold, i don't follow Martin Luther(or any other man than Christ), i just found his candor in this instance refreshing.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:02 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,542,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Ironmaw,

Oh... ok only for believers... for a minute there I thought you were on board with the UR thing... Because that is the only difference between non-UR and UR... URers believe that the blood of Christ washed away ALL sin not just that of believers but that believers are (or should) bearing fruit from that belief... But Jesus did not come to conquer SOME sin.. but ALL...

Last edited by katjonjj; 11-10-2009 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: spelling/typos

Old 11-10-2009, 11:11 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,542,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post

For example:

Luther:

HK
Funny cuz Paul said the same thing:

Romans 5:20 The law was added so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more,

Psalm 138:6 For though the LORD is exalted, Yet He regards the lowly, But the haughty He knows from afar.

Proverbs 3:34 Though He scoffs at the scoffers, Yet He gives grace to the afflicted.

and Paul says this twice (or four times if you count the two in each verse):
1 Cor. 6:12 "Everything is permissible for me"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"--but I will not be mastered by anything.

1 Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify.

If you are not a sinner than you have no need for grace.. and if you have no need for grace then you are still under the law.. LOL I'll take grace thanks!

Romans 6:14 For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.

Now if you are under the law then you retain your sin? I think that is what the verse is about that says, with what measure you judge you shall be judged... I still think I will take grace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity