Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 10:31 AM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I can quote scriptures SPECIFICALLY saying that hell is eternal......forever and ever

Hi, which ones? God bless.

On words that have been translated as “eternal”, “forever”, “incurable” in the scriptures

Sodom's fiery judgment is "eternal" (Jude
7)--until--God "will restore the fortunes of Sodom"
16:53-55).

Israel's "affliction is incurable" (Jer.
30:12)-until--the Lord "will restore health" and heal
her wounds (Jer. 30:17).

The sin of Samaria "is incurable" (Mic. 1:9)-until--
Lord "will restore ... the fortunes of Samaria." (Ez.
16:53).

An Ammonite or Moabite is forbidden to enter the
Lord's congregation "forever"-until--the tenth
generation (Deut. 23:3):

Habakkuk tells us of mountains that were
"everlasting", that is -until-- they "were shattered"
Hab. 3 3:6).

The Aaronic Priesthood was to be an "everlasting"
priesthood (Ex. 40:15), that is-until-it was
superceded by the Melchizedek Priesthood (Hebrews
7:14-18).

Many translations of the Bible inform us that God
would dwell in Solomon's Temple "forever" (1 Kings
8:13), that is,--until the Temple was destroyed.

The Law of Moses was to be an "everlasting covenant"
(Leviticus 24:8) yet we read in the New Covenant the
first was "done away" and "abolished" (2 Corinthians
3:11,13), and God "made the first old" (Hebrews 8:13).

God's waves of wrath roll over Jonah
"forever"-until--the Lord delivers him from the large
fish's belly on the third day (Jonah 2:6,10; 1: 17);

Egypt and Elam will "rise no more" (Jer.
25:27)-until--the Lord will "restore the fortunes of
Egypt" (Ez. 29:14) and "restore the fortunes of Elam"
(Jer. 49:39).

"Moab is destroyed" (Jer. 48:4, 42)-until--the Lord
"will restore the fortunes of Moab" (Jer. 48:47).

Israel's judgment lasts "forever"-until--the Spirit is
poured out and God restores it (Isa. 32:13-15).

So, narrow is the way to life and few find it-until--
and His church confiscate the "strong man's" booty,
setting the captives free so God becomes all in all
(Isa. 61, Luke 11:21-22, Matt. 7:13; 16:18, 1 Cor.
15:24-28).

The King James Bible, as well as many others, tells us
that a bondslave was to serve his master "forever"
(Exodus 21:6), that is,--until--his death.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 05-30-2009 at 11:12 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 10:39 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Reiterating that the Lord spoke in parables and the reason for that was to somehow forever confuse and confound people is not true and has nothing to do with hell and the fact that it is eternal. It is not even a legitimate argument.

Jesus spoke in parables for several reasons. They were not meant to confuse, actually they are very profound and quite easy to understand. It drives home the point Jesus was trying to make, it's easier for people to remember what Jesus taught and His commandments when they are presented in a story format. How many people would remember to put the i before the e in "piece" if we had never been taught this in school: "i before e, except after c". It's the same principle.

The story of Lazarus and the rich man teaches us that:

1. Lazarus was poor in the world's eyes but rich in God's kingdom
2. Lazarus' name is mentioned and the rich man's name is not because Lazarus was the Godly man deserving of recognition
3. Lazarus' story gives us hope and encouragement to fight the good fight because our reward will be great
4. the story teaches us that we go immediately to our eternal destination
5. it teaches of the regret and the permanency of hell, no turning back after we die because of the rich man begging for Lazarus to go back and warn his brothers
6. it teaches that if people won't believe right now about Jesus' sacrifice and that He rose from the dead then they wouldn't believe Lazarus either
7. and it VERY CLEARLY teaches that Lazarus went straight to heaven and the rich man went straight to hell for ETERNITY.

Parables and stories are ways of driving home the truth. The truth is extremely hard for some to accept so they make up their own version of it to appease themselves. What do you suppose God is going to have to say about that? I'll tell you what He'll say:

Matthew 7:23
Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Accept it or reject it, hell is for all of eternity, no matter what kind of spin one tries to put on it. Helping people to believe and receive Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior is what is commanded and required of Christians, not appeasing ourselves and falsely telling unbelievers "it's ok, we're all going to be with God eventually anyway". It's a surefire way to condemn yourself and many others to eternal damnation in the lake of fire.
If it's real, then you're definately going there. Looking forward to it?

Old 05-30-2009, 10:40 AM

305 posts, read 539,286 times
Quote:
Yes, I do know My Bible, Elmer....that's the problem. The scriptures that universalists provide have nothing to do with proving eventual restoration. The scriptures always quoted are completely taken out of context and something has to be assumed, reinterpreted or eluded to.....there just isn't scriptural evidence for any universalist belief.

I want the scripture that says THERE IS NO ETERNAL HELL, AND EVERYONE IS GOING TO HEAVEN. Show me where it says that, Elmer.

On the other hand, I can quote scriptures SPECIFICALLY saying that hell is eternal......forever and ever. If it can't be backed up with scripture then it is an assumption or an outright made-up lie.

Remember that bumper sticker that says "Jesus is coming, and boy, is he pissed!"

I agree. And I think some of you are going to be surprised who he's pissed at.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:14 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,363 times
Quote:
On the other hand, I can quote scriptures SPECIFICALLY saying that hell is eternal......forever and ever. If it can't be backed up with scripture then it is an assumption or an outright made-up lie.
You can quote man`s english translated version all you want . Unfortunately for you, the author`s of the bible didn`t speak English,did they? But you don`t care about that. You would rather believe man than the author`s of the bible. That would be like me translating a book that was written in spanish and translating it in English. Everywhere the word casa was written in the original language,I would translate it as car in English. You would go around believing everyone lived in cars just because I translated that way. Even when people showed you what the word casa meant in the original book and language, you wouldn`t care because your mind has been made up to believe it`s car. That`s what you`ve been taught and that`s all you care about. You don`t want facts to get in the way of your theology. Never mind your common sense and heart telling you that it doesn`t seem right that satan and evil are victorious over God. No, you would rather believe that satan drags 95% of people..men , women , and children to be tortured day and night forever. You would rather go around telling people that the almighty God who created them is going to torture most of them and their,siblings,spouses, and children in a torture chamber of horrors..shame on you! Sometimes it`s hard to believe we don`t live back in midieval times,with the way some people believe..amazing!

Old 05-30-2009, 11:18 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, which ones? God bless.

On words that have been translated as “eternal”, “forever”, “incurable” in the scriptures

Sodom's fiery judgment is "eternal" (Jude
7)--until--God "will restore the fortunes of Sodom"
16:53-55).

Israel's "affliction is incurable" (Jer.
30:12)-until--the Lord "will restore health" and heal
her wounds (Jer. 30:17).

The sin of Samaria "is incurable" (Mic. 1:9)-until--
Lord "will restore ... the fortunes of Samaria." (Ez.
16:53).

An Ammonite or Moabite is forbidden to enter the
Lord's congregation "forever"-until--the tenth
generation (Deut. 23:3):

Habakkuk tells us of mountains that were
"everlasting", that is -until-- they "were shattered"
Hab. 3 3:6).

The Aaronic Priesthood was to be an "everlasting"
priesthood (Ex. 40:15), that is-until-it was
superceded by the Melchizedek Priesthood (Hebrews
7:14-18).

Many translations of the Bible inform us that God
would dwell in Solomon's Temple "forever" (1 Kings
8:13), that is,--until the Temple was destroyed.

The Law of Moses was to be an "everlasting covenant"
(Leviticus 24:8) yet we read in the New Covenant the
first was "done away" and "abolished" (2 Corinthians
3:11,13), and God "made the first old" (Hebrews 8:13).

God's waves of wrath roll over Jonah
"forever"-until--the Lord delivers him from the large
fish's belly on the third day (Jonah 2:6,10; 1: 17);
Egypt and Elam will "rise no more" (Jer.
25:27)-until--the Lord will "restore the fortunes of
Egypt" (Ez. 29:14) and "restore the fortunes of Elam"
(Jer. 49:39).

"Moab is destroyed" (Jer. 48:4, 42)-until--the Lord
"will restore the fortunes of Moab" (Jer. 48:47).

Israel's judgment lasts "forever"-until--the Spirit is
poured out and God restores it (Isa. 32:13-15).

So, narrow is the way to life and few find it-until--
and His church confiscate the "strong man's" booty,
setting the captives free so God becomes all in all
(Isa. 61, Luke 11:21-22, Matt. 7:13; 16:18, 1 Cor.
15:24-28).

The King James Bible, as well as many others, tells us
that a bondslave was to serve his master "forever"
(Exodus 21:6), that is,--until--his death.

Come on folks... you can't just skip over this.
Read it and discuss!!

If you are going to argue that there is eternal torment,
posts like this one cannot be ignored.

Just like all the questions that people ask, are ignored!
Why are they ignored?

I know, someone will ask me a question now and say "Well,sparrow.... answer this...!"

Seriously. Can we discuss what Shana has posted?

If you believe in eternal torment, let's get to the meat of the matter.
Let's take a look at what you believe and how you are able to go against the objections to it in scripture.

If you keep saying "it's in the bible!!" well look at what Shana found in the bible, let's talk about that!

c'mon folks.. this is a discussion board.
We're here to discuss.

This isn't a "tit for tat".

Peace.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:23 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Read it and discuss!!

Why are they ignored?

I know, someone will ask me a question now and say "Well,sparrow.... answer this...!"

Let's take a look at what you believe and how you are able to go against the objections to it in scripture.

If you keep saying "it's in the bible!!" well look at what Shana found in the bible, let's talk about that!

We're here to discuss.

Peace.
That's what I've been saying also - we can explain their "hell" but they have no answer for restorative proof.

The bible will contradict itself if pitted "only a few" vs. "all". You have to see the plan of God laid out before you can reconcile scripture - and you can't do that until He opens your eyes; and I'M NOT putting anyone down if they haven't seen it yet.

Yet.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:29 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
If it's real, then you're definately going there. Looking forward to it?
Really? Hmmm...guess I'll see ya there. Hope your spelling improves before then.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:39 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Quote:
Really? Hmmm...guess I'll see ya there.
I've thought about saying that also.

Seriously, we don't want to overlook the fire the Lord is using now to put our carnal nature to death.

Last edited by little elmer; 05-30-2009 at 11:52 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 11:49 AM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times
Quote:
You would rather believe man than the author`s of the bible. That would be like me translating a book that was written in spanish and translating it in English. Everywhere the word casa was written in the original language,I would translate it as car in English. You would go around believing everyone lived in cars just because I translated that way. Even when people showed you what the word casa meant in the original book and language, you wouldn`t care because your mind has been made up to believe it`s car
Good illustration. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Read it and discuss!!

Why are they ignored?

We're here to discuss.

Peace.
Amen.

God bless.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:06 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Read it and discuss!!

Why are they ignored?

We're here to discuss.

This isn't a "tit for tat". Peace.
There is absolutely no need for me to quote scripture from the Bible when you don't even use the Bible in your arguments! Besides, we (Christians) have quoted them already, even right here in this thread.

It's already been discussed....you can go back two years and find thread after thread with universalists copying and pasting the same things and quoting the same "scriptures". Happy reading.

There cannot be a legitimate discussion when universalists do not use the Bible when quoting scriptures. The YLT is not the Bible....it is ONE man's interpretation of God's Holy Word. Universalists don't adhere to the Bible because it doesn't say what they want it to say.

Universalists want to discuss alternate meanings of words, not what God's Word actually says. Everything in the KJV was agreed upon by many scholars as being a proper and accurate translation. The fact that so many people were involved in the translation and that ALL AGREED that it was accurate is a miracle in and of itself and speaks to the very glaringly obvious fact that God had His Hand in it.

You accuse Christians of following some incorrect translation and man's teachings but actually that is EXACTLY what Universalists are doing, because you don't like what the Bible says.

The truth is that universalists follow ONE man's interpretation because they don't like the REAL truth. Most cults have ONE LEADER.
YLT was written by ONE MAN.
The Book or Mormon was written by ONE MAN.
The JW's and the Watchtower were started by ONE MAN.
Scientology was started by ONE MAN>>>>do you see a trend here??

Those that can see, see it very clearly. They are all lies, perpetrated by "anti-Christs". This spirit of the anti-christ is alive and thriving. They claim Christ, but everything they teach says otherwise. There's always enough truth mixed with the lies to make it seem legitimate.

Those of us who know that hell is real and eternal don't like it either, but we honor and serve a God that has the final say and has authority over EVERYTHING and we would not dare try and change HIS Word to suit ourselves.

Accept God's Word for what it is and win souls like we are commanded, rather than perpetuating the lie that one man created and trying to appease and ease your own minds. Your minds may be appeased temporarily in this life, but they will be eternally tormented in the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity