Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 12:35 AM

11 posts, read 13,565 times

Advertisements

I don't know what faith is. It's something that I struggle with daily.

While I want to believe that the Holy Spirit and a resurrected God exists, at the same time, I don't know that faith actually is something that is real. To those who know, and are so certain, how did you get there? How did you overcome that uncertainty?

How did you reconcile those parts that you knew needed hope and salvation, at the same time that you questioned?

How does one know?

God Bless, Libbetts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 06:31 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,791,241 times
Quote:
I don't know what faith is.
Faith is trust. It is believing the person will do, what they said they will do. You know how, when you were little, your mom or dad told you they would do X,Y, or Z (take you to the park, for example)? You would get excited, and think about going to the park....you'd think about the teeter-totter, the swings, running through the grass, and so on.....because you knew, absolutely, that if they said so, you could believe them.

That is what faith is.

Quote:
It's something that I struggle with daily.
Why are you struggling? What about this causes you to struggle, or feel conflicted?

Quote:
While I want to believe that the Holy Spirit and a resurrected God exists, at the same time, I don't know that faith actually is something that is real.
You seem to be saying 2 different things here - that you aren't sure God exists, and you also are not sure that faith is real.

Do you believe that the Lord Jesus Christ exists? Or are you unsure?

As for faith, people display faith everyday in amazing ways, towards things that are carnal, without a second thought......what I mean is, thousands of people daily will board an airplane, believing that the plain has been properly serviced, believing that the pilot is capable, all without having checked any of this out.....they get onboard, literally trusting their lives to people they have never met.
When you buy food at the store, you trust and have faith that it is safe to eat.
You use faith everyday. All of us do, although we may not be aware of it. If you get into your car to go somewhere, you believe it will get you to your destination, although you realize that you may have a flat tire.....you still have faith enough in your vehicle, to make the trip.....

Quote:
To those who know, and are so certain, how did you get there?
I don't know how to explain that, except to say, that I have been aware of His presence all my life. I know He is real. What we see with our eyes is only a temporary world. We are spirits, we have souls, but we are living in a fleshly body.....we connect with the Lord through our faith and our conscious thoughts towards Him, we choose to believe.
Ask Him for faith. Ask Him for wisdom.

You must be born again. When you accept Jesus Christ is who He said He is, you believe, you have faith, you repent of sin and you are born again, that's why He said we should come to Him as little children.

He will give you what you need. But you do not need a lot of faith - He said, if you only have faith the size of a mustard seed, you can move mountains.

It isn't the amount of faith you have that matters, it is where you are putting it ---- who is your faith in? If you place your faith in Him, then you have enough faith. Remember the lady who needed healing, she said if she could just touch the hem of his garment, she knew she would be healed, because it was the Lord she was touching.....that is faith.

You don't have to have a tremendous amount of faith, but you need to put it in the right place - in Jesus Christ. If you believe in Him, you have enough faith. Make sure it is in Him, though; and not in certain preachers, churches, doctrines, etc, but Jesus Christ, and His shed blood, alone, is what saves us.

Believe that, live it and you are saved, you are born again. It is not a mental thing, it is trust and believing Him, coming to Him as a tiny child would come to a parent.

I would also say, get a Bible and start reading in Matthew, chapter 5. Read the words of Jesus. Ask Him for what you need.

Last edited by Sundance; 05-25-2009 at 06:54 AM..

Old 05-25-2009, 07:22 AM

14,886 posts, read 17,170,876 times
Amen, Sundance. God bless.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:37 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,105,229 times
Mark 9:24, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!"

One of the more scarry things a guy can pray for is"faith"

The reason is, is that when the Lord gives you faith it dont come "pre-made"
When Faith grows in you, it does because it is all that is left you at times.

If you look at the people you know or have heard about that are said to have "Great faith" you will see that they have had to face one hardship after another.

Pain, suffering, sickness, death,
These are the soil where great faith gets planted in.

So when you pray for God to give you faith, understand what you are asking Him to do in your life...

Old 05-25-2009, 11:32 AM

852 posts, read 1,365,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbetts View Post

While I want to believe that the Holy Spirit and a resurrected God exists, at the same time, I don't know that faith actually is something that is real. To those who know, and are so certain, how did you get there? How did you overcome that uncertainty?

How did you reconcile those parts that you knew needed hope and salvation, at the same time that you questioned?

How does one know?

God Bless, Libbetts.
I was once like you...I prayed...
I prayed hard...
I got down on my knees and cried out to God and asked the question?
Why does everyone else seem to know you exist but I do not?
I surrendered myself to Him and in Him I found peace.
Seek and He will answer...just be willing to listen also.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:37 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,903,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Mark 9:24, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!"

One of the more scarry things a guy can pray for is"faith"

The reason is, is that when the Lord gives you faith it dont come "pre-made"
When Faith grows in you, it does because it is all that is left you at times.

If you look at the people you know or have heard about that are said to have "Great faith" you will see that they have had to face one hardship after another.

Pain, suffering, sickness, death,
These are the soil where great faith gets planted in.

So when you pray for God to give you faith, understand what you are asking Him to do in your life...

big thumbs up

Old 05-25-2009, 12:43 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,903,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbetts View Post
<snip>
God Bless, Libbetts.
Faith is a gift from God. (Eph 2:8). All good gifts come from God. Ask God for faith and wait patiently. Also, faith without love is nothing. (1 Cor 13:2).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity