Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:41 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,585,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Jonathan Edwards was one of the most significant religious thinkers in American history. . He was a notable pulpit orator. ..He was a firm believer in Calvinism and the doctrine of predestination; a tendency toward belief in Arminianism, a modified form of Calvinism, however, existed in the New England colonies. The result of Edwards's 1734-35 sermons was a religious revival in which a great number of conversions were made; he received 300 new members into his church. Some of the converted were so obsessed by his fiery descriptions of eternal damnation that they contemplated suicide. In 1740 the British evangelist George Whitefield visited Edwards. Together, the two men started a revival movement that became known as the Great Awakening and developed into a religious frenzy engulfing all New England. The conversions were characterized by convulsions and hysteria on the part of the converts, and the harshness and appeal to religious fear in one of Edwards's sermons, "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God," caused his congregation to rise weeping and moaning from their seats. By 1742 the revival movement had grown out of control, and for the next 60 to 70 years it had the effect on American religion of preventing any attempt at a liberal interpretation of doctrine."

God bless.
I have no clue what this has to do with this thread-those type of revivals created, JW etc..... There have been brilliant people, much more brilliant than you who have interpreted these verses as well and see different from you. Are you saying these brilliant men are either less intelligent than you or lacked the Holy Spirit; that love was not in their heart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 10:43 AM

14,911 posts, read 17,223,400 times
Quote:
This statement you made is hardpressed to prove not to mention a little over the top by condemning all these "Christians" to be non believers. Can you say for certain, 100% with no doubt. ALL these leaders who believed in this doctrine were not men of God?
Who made this statement, Fundy?

Quote:
As a Christian you should know better that anyone who relishes people to go to hell are not believers and this that is not scriptural.
in reference to this statement:

I never stated this, Fundy. I shared in reference to your statements concerning loving Christians who would not want to see others in eternal torment. Many who have claimed to be Christians/believers have relished the thought of others being in eternal torment. God bless.

I shared that I believed that they were not believers and I did not condemn anyone. I do believe that many of their teachings are wrong and have infected the church. I shared that many have followed and continue to follow their teachings, viewspoints. God bless.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Who made this statement, Fundy?

I shared that I believed that they were not believers and I did not condemn anyone. I do believe that many of their teachings are wrong and have infected the church. I shared that many have followed and continue to follow their teachings, viewspoints. God bless.
You make an absolute statement that we follow men who "claimed" to be Christian and rejoiced in watch God torment people yet somehow.....

Moderator cut: Asked four times.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-08-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I have no clue what this has to do with this thread-those type of revivals created, JW etc.....
I don't believe that J. Edwards was a J.W. He was a Calvinist, from what I understand. God bless.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
You make an absolute statement that we follow men who "claimed" to be Christian and rejoiced in watch God torment people yet somehow.....
Where did I make this statement, Fundy? God bless.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I don't believe that J. Edwards was a J.W. He was a Calvinist, from what I understand. God bless.
It doesn't really matter if he was an armenian, the point is such crusades have occured because men were led with their feelings and not scripture.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:51 AM

Moderator cut: deleted
I believe that they can, due what they may see in the incorrect translations of some scriptures, but as you shared, many do not want to believe it or accept it. Many are tormented and are in fear.

Quote:
I personally do not understand nor like the eternal hell doctrine but who am I to question or judge God because I see it in scripture and I trust God is good and does everything for my good and His glory and if I am like this then there are many like me who do not comprehend the concept of an eternal hell either and would want it struck and never to be uttered again from our holy, loving letter; the bible.

God bless.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-08-2009 at 09:08 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:

I believe that they can, due what they may see in the incorrect translations of some scriptures, but as you shared, many do not want to believe it or accept it. Many are tormented and are in fear. God bless.
NO, that is not the question. (LOL) Do you believe that Christians more loving than you can also believe that God is just for creating an eternal hell?

Old 06-07-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
It doesn't really matter if he was an armenian, the point is such crusades have occured because men were led with their feelings and not scripture.
He was a Calvinist and has had a great effect on church teachings in this country. God bless.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:55 AM

2,984 posts, read 3,354,030 times
Quote:
To say on the authority of the Bible that God does a thing no honourable man would do, is to lie against God; to say that it is therefore right, is to lie against the very spirit of God. To uphold a lie for God's sake is to be against God, not for him. God cannot be lied for. He is the truth. The truth alone is on his side. While his child could not see the rectitude of a thing, he would infinitely rather, even if the thing were right, have him say, God could not do that thing, than have him believe that he did it. If the man were sure God did it, the thing he ought to say would be, 'Then there must be something about it I do not know, which if I did know, I should see the thing quite differently.' But where an evil thing is invented to explain and account for a good thing, and a lover of God is called upon to believe the invention or be cast out, he needs not mind being cast out, for it is into the company of Jesus. Where there is no ground to believe that God does a thing except that men who would explain God have believed and taught it, he is not a true man who accepts men against his own conscience of God. I acknowledge no authority calling upon me to believe a thing of God, which I could not be a man and believe right in my fellow-man. I will accept no explanation of any way of God which explanation involves what I should scorn as false and unfair in a man. If you say, That may be right of God to do which it would not be right of man to do, I answer, Yes, because the relation of the maker to his creatures is very different from the relation of one of those creatures to another, and he has therefore duties toward his creatures requiring of him what no man would have the right to do to his fellow-man; but he can have no duty that is not both just and merciful. More is required of the maker, by his own act of creation, than can be required of men. More and higher justice and righteousness is required of him by himself, the Truth;--greater nobleness, more penetrating sympathy; and nothing but what, if an honest man understood it, he would say was right.
George MacDonald [Justice]

Continued HERE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity