Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 03:08 PM

817 posts, read 741,704 times

Advertisements

Regarding the "False Concept of God" that some say can be found in the OT...what are your thoughts on that?

Was there a false concept of God?

Do you agree with all of what was contained in the Law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 04:44 PM

64,015 posts, read 40,319,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWitnesses View Post
Regarding the "False Concept of God" that some say can be found in the OT...what are your thoughts on that?
The primitive and savage notions of God in the OT are unequivocally false. A God that must be appeased by sacrifices is the most primitive and ancient of God concepts. The retention of such a primitive and savage notion of God for over 2000 years after Christ attests to the power of human ignorance and superstition. Christ revealed the true nature of God unambiguously by His life, death and teachings.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:00 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,128,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The primitive and savage notions of God in the OT are unequivocally false. A God that must be appeased by sacrifices is the most primitive and ancient of God concepts. The retention of such a primitive and savage notion of God for over 2000 years after Christ attests to the power of human ignorance and superstition. Christ revealed the true nature of God unambiguously by His life, death and teachings.
Yes, and that life culminated in a sacrifice. A willing sarcifice.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:29 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,781,149 times
Well if all the true laws are summed up in the words "love God and they neighbor" and whats more "love thine enemy", then the culmination of lawlessness would have to be "eye for an eye" and "hate thine enemy". And Christ himself said as much ... Paul also talks about the futility of the old covenant. And how the old covenant was only made to prove to humanity that we are unable to earn Gods love and grace.

So all the "laws" which commanded adulterers to be killed, along with rebellious children and women who were raped but were not heard fighting against their attackers or entire city populations along with all their live stock and their belonging burned because someone was teaching a different religion, are not what God truly intended for us

I mean if we obeyed every law of the old testament as Christians we would all either be on death row for murder or out committing terrorist acts across the globe. I mean i think its pretty obvious that genocide is a Crime against humanity, and i think Jesus would likely agree with me on that.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 08-27-2011 at 06:40 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 06:12 AM

9,700 posts, read 10,064,678 times
Quote:
Was there a false concept of God? Do you agree with all of what was contained in the Law?
The only false concept of God in the Old Testament was the Judgment of Moses and lack of spreading salvation of the Lord to the world by nationalism on Israel only...the judgmental ideas against men who sin with no redemption from God ..... the lack of faith in Holy Spirit and The gifts that they could have got.....The sacrifice of bulls and sheep and goat and doves was that was a point of contact for redemption to receive from God , but the Lord did complain that though He redeemed turn around a sinned again after the sacrifice were God said he hears the worship songs no more as they were to disobedient ..... As the result God handed the nation over to the enemies of Israel five times, but redeemed Israel four times... Egypt, Philistines, Assyrians, Babylonians, Romans captured Israel

Old 08-28-2011, 08:46 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,417,097 times
Quote:

The lying pen of the scribes have a lot to answer for

https://www.city-data.com/forum/christianity/1347355-if-you-believe-jesus-why-not-25.html

Post 242 & 243

Old 08-28-2011, 06:19 PM

910 posts, read 1,341,522 times
Quote:

Yes there was a false concept of God in the old testament. Even up-till this moment! This was because Adam sinned and The Father left him and also expelled him from the garden. Since then, man was separated from God and the unity with God was only done after Christ shed his blood.

References to God in the old testament, oftentimes are a references to angels who dealt directly with man and imposed such practices as animal sacrifice and other laws. Moses saw an angel, not God Almighty. If he did see God, then the testimony of Christ in the new testament is false. Luckily the Bible clarifies this point. You will certainly miss the fact that the Bible corrects itself if you read the Bible like you read a novel.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:55 PM

64,015 posts, read 40,319,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Yes, and that life culminated in a sacrifice. A willing sarcifice.
Yes but NOT to God's wrath . . . it was to our barbaric savagery and ignorance in rejecting Him and His message of love.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I have kind of tended to feel that way myself. Were there PROPHETS, though, that actually believed that these concepts of God were true?

Also...I thought that the pre-Levite and pre-Aaronite priesthood..or at least the Melchisidek priesthood didn't sacrifice animals. Was there a period of time when animal sacrifices weren't deemed necessary?

Old 08-29-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Well if all the true laws are summed up in the words "love God and they neighbor" and whats more "love thine enemy", then the culmination of lawlessness would have to be "eye for an eye" and "hate thine enemy". And Christ himself said as much ... Paul also talks about the futility of the old covenant. And how the old covenant was only made to prove to humanity that we are unable to earn Gods love and grace.

So all the "laws" which commanded adulterers to be killed, along with rebellious children and women who were raped but were not heard fighting against their attackers or entire city populations along with all their live stock and their belonging burned because someone was teaching a different religion, are not what God truly intended for us

I mean if we obeyed every law of the old testament as Christians we would all either be on death row for murder or out committing terrorist acts across the globe. I mean i think its pretty obvious that genocide is a Crime against humanity, and i think Jesus would likely agree with me on that.
I agree with everything you said! This is also where I tend to totally agree with Paul.

It seems that in a lot of ways, the God of the OT resembled The Devil more than Christ, with all these attributes. How did so many chosen ones of God (who were chosen to record God's truth) get it so wrong? And yet the PROPHECIES are supposed to somehow all be true from the OT. How can I reconcile this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity