Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:31 PM

173 posts, read 329,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Gal View Post
Seems to me you are.
Just trying to set the record straight, doesn't mean I'm anti-catholic.

Quote:
There's something like 33,000+ denominations of Protestantism and counting. Please tell me which one (Baptist, Methodist, Prebyterian, etc...) sticks closest to the Bible and is right.

Correction - ain't no 33,000 denominations .... The Lie of 30000 Protestant Denominations

All I know is that at least these Protestant denominations are not into IDOLATRY .... ie. venerating Mary, praying to dead saints and angels, chanting the rosary, bypassing Christ for priests for confessions ... which are but all gross distorted applications of the Bible !!! ..... Blatant violations of the 1st and 2nd commandments !!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 PM

198 posts, read 388,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShalomPeace View Post
Just trying to set the record straight, doesn't mean I'm anti-catholic.
You're NOT doing a very good job of it. And, for the record, I certainly think you're anti-Catholic since you seem to have it out so much for my faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShalomPeace View Post
All I know is that at least these Protestant denominations are not into IDOLATRY .... ie. venerating Mary, praying to dead saints and angels, chanting the rosary, bypassing Christ for priests for confessions ... which are but all gross distorted applications of the Bible !!! ..... Blatant violations of the 1st and 2nd commandments !!!
There's LOTS of Protestant denominations out there ... Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc... ... and even they're quite splintered. For example, you have Southern Baptists, Reformed Baptists, Independent Fundamental Baptists, etc... .

There's a Baptist church near me and when many members of the congregation started to disagree with other members they broke away and formed their own church.

Heck, even the folks at the Baptist Board do a lot of infighting. You have those who take a position that women should be pastors and those who strongly believe women shouldn't be pastors and both sides use the Bible to defend their position.

It seems, however, the one thing you Protestants CAN agree on regardless if you're Baptist, Methodist, presbyterian, etc... is the fact that you don't like Catholics.

FYI... all Protestant denominations want to claim they're the "one, true Church". So, who is right? There can be only one.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:53 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,510,383 times
Quote:
It seems, however, the one thing you Protestants CAN agree on regardless if you're Baptist, Methodist, presbyterian, etc... is the fact that you don't like Catholics.
Get in line. They rail against a whole lot of people. The line is long, but distinguished!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:13 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,616,441 times
There are some schismatic Catholic groups separate from the Roman Catholic Church. Out of curiosity I know of some of the main ones.

The Old Catholic Church - They broke off over papal infallibility. Since then they have joined the Anglican Communion. In the US they tend to be very theologically liberal. One has a priest who's a drag-queen performer and gay dance club singer.

The Polish National Catholic Church - I believe this is primarily a Polish-American group. They felt American Catholic churches were too ran by the Irish and otherwise not seeing to their spiritual needs. However I'm pretty sure they allowed married priests, rejected Papal Infallibility, and a few other things. They are moderate to conservative in that I believe they maintain most Catholic views and do not have women priests.

Catholic Apostolic Church - Dissident Brazilian bishop, or maybe Archbishop, founded. Don't know much about this except it can be counted as major due to the number in Latin America. I think it trends toward liberal, but in a more Latin American way. Like Liberation-Theology and opposition to "authoritarianism."

Society of St. Pius X - Consider themselves to be in communion with Roman Catholic Church. Gained controversy over one of their bishops being a Holocaust denier. Intensely conservative in theology they reject Vatican II and more-or-less maintain the idea Jews live in a world of darkness. (This varies from the charitable "all are in darkness without Christ, we just want to share the good news to them too" to a more hostile anti-Judaism and belief in Jewish conspiracies)

More minor

Mariavite Catholic Church - Minor group in Poland, which has itself schismed. Started by a Polish woman's visions and evolved from there.

Liberal Catholic Church - A group of Catholics influenced by Theosophy. As I recall they believe in reincarnation among other things.

Palmarian Catholic Church - An eccentric group of Spanish traditionalist Catholics. They reject Vatican II as do most Traditionalists, but they take a mysticalist approach that means they have their own "Pope." As I recall they believe a Spanish man, who later confessed to sexual indiscretions with both men and women, was made Pope in a vision from Jesus Christ. Also they consider Francisco Franco a saint.

There might be 200 groups if you add up all the men who've declared themselves Pope from their ranch or parents store and have any kind of following. And in charity I'm not sure there's "33,000" Protestant denominations. For all I know that figure requires you to stretch the definition of "Protestant" or "denomination" or both. Still it's possible as various people will set up their own church and I think that's a bit more common then the "My brothers and cousin elected me Pope" churches.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
You're NOT doing a very good job of it. And, for the record, I certainly think you're anti-Catholic since you seem to have it out so much for my faith.
You can think whatever you want to think, and for the record, I too think you're anti-christian since you have it so much against the christian faith. Oh right .. wait a minute, Catholics aren't really Christian, are you?

Quote:
There's LOTS of Protestant denominations out there ... Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc... ... and even they're quite splintered. For example, you have Southern Baptists, Reformed Baptists, Independent Fundamental Baptists, etc... .
Just like there are the Catholic/Liberal, Catholic/heretic, Catholic/Conservatist, Catholic Charismatic ... and what have you !!

Quote:
There's a Baptist church near me and when many members of the congregation started to disagree with other members they broke away and formed their own church.

Heck, even the folks at the Baptist Board do a lot of infighting. You have those who take a position that women should be pastors and those who strongly believe women shouldn't be pastors and both sides use the Bible to defend their position.
I too have friends who used to be Catholics, they broke away from their churches to join my Christian church, simply because they did not agree with the Catholic church teachings.

Quote:
That's so not true - we don't like Catholicism, not the Catholics. ....

Quote:
FYI... all Protestant denominations want to claim they're the "one, true Church". So, who is right? There can be only one.
It's the Roman Catholic Church that always claims the "one true church" status. I would say the one true church is the church Jesus Christ established, and that definitely ain't the RC Church nor any other church that distorts the Word of God.!!

Old 07-01-2009, 03:55 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,456,145 times
Default Talk to me........

Quote:
I don't like reading things like, "You really need the Pope to tell you that?" because it's "attacking" to me as a Catholic. I don't go around saying, "You really need your pastor to tell you that?"

I also don't like reading things like, "You mean the unbilbical, man-made, paganistic traditions ....." because it just goes to show how uneducated you are about the Catholic faith and comments like, "Your kidding right...the verse pointing to veneration Mary, or the weak verses pointing to a purgatory and the list goes on....................." just go to show me that you're not really willing to be the open-minded person I'd like you to be in order to try and properly educate you about my faith so that all the lies and misconceptions you've been fed about us are no more. Then again, I guess many of you don't care to be properly educated about us Catholics due to your deep prejudices about us. Too bad. Christ was open-minded. Why can't you be?

I know some of you will say that you will confront a lie head on any day, but how do you know Catholicism is a lie? You don't know it's a lie anymore than I know Protestantism is a lie.

Enough said.

Again, with all due respect, I asked: Why do you need the Pope to tell you that it (hell) is a real place, when God HIMSELF have spoken on it throughout the bible? Why not believe God? That's the question I asked....

I apologize if that question "rubbed" you the wrong way, but that's what truth does......it ignites something in you and then you want more and more, of truth, that is.

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 07-01-2009 at 04:05 PM..

Old 07-01-2009, 04:06 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,779,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Again, with all due respect, I asked: Why do you need the Pope to tell you that it (hell) is a real place, when God HIMSELF have spoken on it throughout the bible? Why not believe God? That's the question I asked....

I apologize if that question "rubbed" you the wrong way, but that's what truth does......it ignites something in you and then you want more and more, of truth, that is.
We all knew that, He was just re-affirming our beliefs. Just like other popes have done on other subjects i the past. With all the Christian groups claiming there is no hell, he was just simply reminding us of the reality of the Situation.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:09 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,792,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post

You have been misled that we worship the Pope??

Old 07-03-2009, 02:14 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,564,156 times
[quote=ShalomPeace;9547070]Just trying to set the record straight, doesn't mean I'm anti-catholic.

But we are saying you are not setting it straight----you are distorting many things. You do not want to hear it. You just want to bash, not learn.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
But we are saying you are not setting it straight----you are distorting many things. You do not want to hear it. You just want to bash, not learn.
Hey I ain't distort nothing .. -- they are already distorted - not my fault .... you guys have to straighten it out !!!!

No bashing intended, really... just wanna have some fun ... and I love having fun with Catholics ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity