Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:04 PM

198 posts, read 388,791 times

Advertisements

I don't like reading things like, "You really need the Pope to tell you that?" because it's "attacking" to me as a Catholic. I don't go around saying, "You really need your pastor to tell you that?"

I also don't like reading things like, "You mean the unbilbical, man-made, paganistic traditions ....." because it just goes to show how uneducated you are about the Catholic faith and comments like, "Your kidding right...the verse pointing to veneration Mary, or the weak verses pointing to a purgatory and the list goes on....................." just go to show me that you're not really willing to be the open-minded person I'd like you to be in order to try and properly educate you about my faith so that all the lies and misconceptions you've been fed about us are no more. Then again, I guess many of you don't care to be properly educated about us Catholics due to your deep prejudices about us. Too bad. Christ was open-minded. Why can't you be?

I know some of you will say that you will confront a lie head on any day, but how do you know Catholicism is a lie? You don't know it's a lie anymore than I know Protestantism is a lie.

Enough said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,792,863 times
Tony seconds that

Four years ago I got a T-shirt as a gift from a Catholic friend when I first came to the United States.

It read: "Don't hate me coz I'm Catholic"

I laughed it away. Because I was very much used to Catholic bash-fest in my home, Asia and the Middle East.

Four years on, and it feels pretty much like everywhere else.

It's a stigma I have to carry People even scoff at the rosary hanging in my car. One girl went off: "This is SO Mexican"

It also cost me potential love affairs (last thing hindu or muslim girls want is a catholic guy LMAO). The moment they see my fervent Catholicism, they just back off.

At work, they don't like my tiny, harmless pictures of the saints laying around my desk. When others can have tiny chinese dragons, miniature Buddhas, Led Zeppelin memorabilia and the like which are admired.

My corporate connections are like: "Do you know he's a regular sunday servicer?"

A lot of sacrifices I have had to make for being .... well, being catholic, what I was raised for

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 06-29-2009 at 10:49 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 11:46 PM

173 posts, read 329,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Gal View Post
Then again, I guess many of you don't care to be properly educated about us Catholics due to your deep prejudices about us.
We got nothin’ against Catholics – just the “one true church” excuse you guys often dangle around to cover up your pagan practices…

Read these –

http://www.gotquestions.org/origin-Catholic-church.html
http://www.gotquestions.org/original-church.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Gal View Post
Too bad. Christ was open-minded. Why can't you be?
Was Christ open-minded enough to command His followers to venerate His human mother Mary, pray to dead saints and angels, replace Him with human priests to mediate repentance, crucify Him over and over again in your mass, chant the rosary and ……..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
At work, they don't like my tiny, harmless pictures of the saints laying around my desk. When others can have tiny chinese dragons, miniature Buddhas, Led Zeppelin memorabilia and the like which are admired.
There you go, proving yourself that Catholics are not much different from pagan worshippers !! ….. and you are wondering why you are being ostracized !!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:48 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,613,229 times
i love the catholic church go there all the time with family.
signed
a non catholic

Old 06-30-2009, 12:06 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,616,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShalomPeace View Post
There you go, proving yourself that Catholics are not much different from pagan worshippers !! ….. and you are wondering why you are being ostracized !!

I'm Catholic, I think I'd almost rather be like a pagan than like this.

As for Mary

"And she cried out with a loud voice and said: Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. And whence is this to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For behold as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in my ears, the infant in my womb leaped for joy. And blessed art thou that hast believed, because those things shall be accomplished that were spoken to thee by the Lord. And Mary said: My soul doth magnify the Lord And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my savior. Because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid: for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed." The Gospel of Luke Chapter 1:42-48.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:12 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,792,863 times
Quote:
ShalomPiece, paste yourself and have a peaceful night.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:19 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,564,156 times
ShalomPeace---you say you have nothing against Catholics then you say they practice pagan beliefs. Seems like you have a lot against Catholics and what they believe. The web site you posted has reams of things that are wrong with the Catholic church. Most are posted by fallen away Catholics. Most of the postings are showing predjudice against the teachings of the church.

I know I would not go to a person who has a bone to pick about their religion to find the truth. Why not go to a real Catholic web site to learn why Catholics believe the way they do? Scott Hahn and many Protestants did just that---to prove the church wrong and instead converted and became Catholics. Find out why they changed their mind. Many were Protestant ministers. Many said the church was not bibical but came away completely changed after they learned the truth.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:07 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,779,811 times
Quote:
Was Christ open-minded enough to command His followers to venerate His human mother Mary, pray to dead saints and angels, replace Him with human priests to mediate repentance, crucify Him over and over again in your mass, chant the rosary and ……..

You realize that everything you just listed is biblical, Minus the crucify him over and over again thing, cause......uh.....We Don't.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:11 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,779,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
ShalomPeace---you say you have nothing against Catholics then you say they practice pagan beliefs. Seems like you have a lot against Catholics and what they believe. The web site you posted has reams of things that are wrong with the Catholic church. Most are posted by fallen away Catholics. Most of the postings are showing predjudice against the teachings of the church.

I know I would not go to a person who has a bone to pick about their religion to find the truth. Why not go to a real Catholic web site to learn why Catholics believe the way they do? Scott Hahn and many Protestants did just that---to prove the church wrong and instead converted and became Catholics. Find out why they changed their mind. Many were Protestant ministers. Many said the church was not bibical but came away completely changed after they learned the truth.
Very true. I love Scott Hahn, I'm actually reading one of his books right now. He was a devout Presbyterian minister, and a stark, harsh, utterly ANTI-Catholic man. But as he studies the bible more, slowly but surely.......He came home to Rome Sweet Home (Thats a title of one of his books ).

Old 06-30-2009, 01:59 AM

173 posts, read 329,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
You realize that everything you just listed is biblical,
Sure, everything according to how your "infallible popes, or your early church "fathers" interpreted them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Minus the crucify him over and over again thing, cause......uh.....We Don't.

Oh ya sorry, my mistake .... it's called "re-presentation of the crucifixion" -

"This re-presentation, as Fr. John Hardon notes in his Pocket Catholic Dictionary, "means that because Christ is really present in his humanity, in heaven and on the altar, he is capable now as he was on Good Friday of freely offering himself to the Father." This understanding of the Mass hinges on the Catholic doctrine of the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. When the bread and wine become the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ, Christ is truly present on the altar. If the bread and wine remained merely symbols, the Mass could still be a memorial of the Last Supper, but not a re-presentation of the Crucifixion."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity