Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:20 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,775,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
it's all up to the context.
Jesus died for the unjust...this is not talking about "non-Christians" but seems to be talking more about the normal unjust way of all mankind.

He died for us while we were yet enemies of God....

Now I have never been a real enemy of God, but I count myself as part of the unjust "we" in this case because I owe my salvation to he Grace of God alone.
So I am in a very real way part of the great multitude of unjust people who have been made just via Christ.
I agree with you. In the most literal sense the only person Jesus could have been referring to as the righteous and the just, was himself. From Adam to now, all have sin and fallen short of the glory of the father. It is Christ in whom the father is well pleased, and only in him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:22 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,362,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
The righteous are those who believe in Christ and the unrighteous are they who deny Christ. Dont get me wrong but you can tell the difference by what they believe about Christ and the truth is the Bible from cover to cover.

Well i believe Jesus is my Lord and Savior i also believe He is my righteousness.

I agree with the bible when it says there are none righteous no not one and that our righteousness is as filthy rags

1 Corinthians 1

30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

Old 07-01-2009, 05:26 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,109,887 times
it's all a matter of the context the term "just" is used in.
Now that we are in the church age I think we can also support the idea that we are now "just"

The church is the body of Christ.
Not only does the church identify itself with the name of Christ, but Christ Himself identifies himself with the Christian Church by name too.
He is with us.

Thus there is no fault now in thinking of the christian Church as being the Lord's righteous children...

Old 07-01-2009, 05:30 PM

14,911 posts, read 17,223,400 times
I believe that in the literal sense the Lord is the only righteous one, but I also believe that we are being made into His image, being transformed , being a new creation, and that those who are living by faith in the Lord today, are the righteous ones being referred to here. This faith is also a gift given to us by the Lord. God bless.

Philippians 3
8More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowingChrist Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ,
9and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, 10that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death;

God bless.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:34 PM

yes I agree shana

Old 07-02-2009, 03:08 PM
RSH

147 posts, read 258,400 times
That's a good question.Sometimes the believers and the non-believers alike can't tell the difference. We Need to start walking in the light and start showing it.That definitely goes for me and my sins(I have many).Lord Jesus have mercy upon us.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:24 PM

11,910 posts, read 3,742,589 times
Quote:
The just person does what is right.
The unjust person does what is wrong.

The just person seeks to do good things to people
The unjust person will cause harm to others and not be concerned with it.
Amen!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 03:46 PM

11,910 posts, read 3,742,589 times
Quote:
it's all a matter of the context the term "just" is used in.
Now that we are in the church age I think we can also support the idea that we are now "just"

The church is the body of Christ.
Not only does the church identify itself with the name of Christ, but Christ Himself identifies himself with the Christian Church by name too.
He is with us.

Thus there is no fault now in thinking of the christian Church as being the Lord's righteous children...
Hmm,

Not sure that I agree with your reasoning here - "Christians" label themselves Christians - I agree with your original assertion that it is what people do, not what people say that they believe.
Good is good whether it is done by a christian or no

Evil is evil whether is is done by a christian or no

Rom 2:12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
Rom 2:13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
Rom 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Rom 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another

Jas 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Jas 1:23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
Jas 1:24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
Jas 1:25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
Jas 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
Jas 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Hmm,

Not sure that I agree with your reasoning here - "Christians" label themselves Christians -.
My answer is in the form of a story
Think about this story ...

The story of the conversion of Paul.
Remember at the time Paul was called Saul.
Saul is helping to lead in the attack against the very early Christian church.
Saul was right there and helped the people stone one of the early church leaders.

Then Saul wanted to take his attacks against the church on the road and go clean out the Christians in other towns.

Then along the way, who drops into the story but Christ from heaven.

Remember what Jesus tells Saul?
Remember?.........
"Saul Saul why are you persecuting me?"

Question...when did Saul ever bump into Jesus?
The answer to that question leads us to understand just how much Jesus identifies Himself with the Christian church...

Old 07-02-2009, 05:00 PM

396 posts, read 599,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
45so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

Who are the righteous and who are the unrighteous?
Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous...In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever dorth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother. (1 John 3:7,10)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity