Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:59 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,142,849 times

Advertisements

1 Tim 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Scripture tells us that God will have all men to be saved, but not many believe it.

For those that would consign most of humanity to an eternity of torture, here is the Bottom Line:

If God does not save everyone, that is either because--
(1) He cannot
or--
(2) He will not.

Which do you think it is?

See this article for a full discussion from the universal salvation point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 10:35 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
1 Tim 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Scripture tells us that God will have all men to be saved, but not many believe it.

For those that would consign most of humanity to an eternity of torture, here is the Bottom Line:

If God does not save everyone, that is either because--
(1) He cannot
or--
(2) He will not.

Which do you think it is?

See this article for a full discussion from the universal salvation point of view.
(3) He failed to perform is will
(4) His word returned to Him void
(5) Mans will is greater
(6) The devil is greater than God

Old 07-02-2009, 10:49 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,202,490 times
7) His arm has been shortened that it cannot save
8) It's not "finished"

Old 07-02-2009, 11:38 AM

8,183 posts, read 6,950,659 times
9. God isn't "Love".

Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,079,118 times
(2) He will not.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:52 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,142,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
(2) He will not.
So He won't because He doesn't want to? I assume you think He is able to because you didn't say "(1) He cannot"

Why would God not want to save most of His own creation?

Old 07-02-2009, 12:18 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,422,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
So He won't because He doesn't want to? I assume you think He is able to because you didn't say "(1) He cannot"

Why would God not want to save most of His own creation?
Seems like there's two options here, too:

Either

1)God only loves a select group and is not concerned with saving all men or

2)God's greater desire is that all men come to Him of their own free will and that overrides His desire to save them.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:29 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,844,543 times
God does not lie and He is a God of justice and if any reject Him unto death He has still saved them for eternal torment.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:23 PM

14,910 posts, read 17,219,900 times
I know that you posted to those who believe in eternal torment, legoman, but to me if eternal torment is the consequence and if God does not save, He is a God who sees beginning to end, knowing what would happen in the creation, knowing ahead of time that the majority would be lost, yet He brings them into existence anyway. This does not manifest agape love or His power to enlighten and defeat deceit, evil, and sin. The works of satan reign forever, but He sent His Son to destroy the works of satan. He brings most into being saying that He is their Savior, yet He never plans to. It is a contradiction. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 07-02-2009 at 02:42 PM..

Old 07-02-2009, 04:00 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,422,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I know that you posted to those who believe in eternal torment, legoman.
I realize this too but since it wasn't very long ago that I was a staunch defender of that doctrine, I think I have a pretty good grasp on how an ETer looks at this and that's why I've gone and stuck my nose in where it perhaps doesn't belong . As long as I'm here anyway, I might as well throw in the other half of my .02.

Legoman has the options right, imho:

If God doesn't save all men it's either because He can't or won't. I honestly know of very few Christians who would say that God is not able to save all. I think the second option is where most of them will stand and then the vast majority are going to fall into 2 subcategories:

He won't because He doesn't want to (limited atonement).
He won't because He will not override the free will of men (synergism).

Frankly, I think both can make a Biblical case for their beliefs and I do not fault anyone for sticking to their guns on these issues. I know of no one who holds to the doctrine of ET who would intentionally malign the love of God. I also understand that to an ETer the UR doctrine, when it is not rightly understood, maligns the holiness and justness of God.

For almost as long as I can remember I have wrestled with the question in regard to salvation, "Why some and not others?" It was in studying to refute UR that I came to understand that all those "contradictory" passages in Scripture were no longer contradictory once looked at through the lens of God's ultimate plan of reconcilation.

I propose to those ETers who may be reading this thread that it is not logical for you to dismiss those of us who hold to UR as being un-Christian or not respecting Scripture. Those who hold to limited atonement must reconcile passages which on the face of it do not support that belief. The same is true of those who hold to "free will". And the same is true of URists who must reconcile passages which on the face of it, do not support their beliefs. All of us reconcile those passages based on our best understanding of Who God is according to what He has revealed of Himself in Scripture. If you (URists or ETers) deny this, I have to submit to you that I do not believe you are being honest with yourself. And for any of us to dismiss another as non-Christian because of it is a gross misjustice to Christ's Body, imo.

Well, I guess that was way more than 2 cents worth.

I just would like to commend those of you who are willing to discuss these things on this forum. Through witnessing just such debates, and participating in them myself, I was forced to dig deeper into the Word to defend my ET beliefs. And blessed surprise! My eyes were open to a heighth and depth and breadth and width of God's love that I could never have imagined possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity