Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 07:00 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,156,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I have read a lot of stuff by him but never that before .
Its quite good - covers a lot of basics. He also has a couple letters to Kennedy on the front bible-truths.com page that cover more of the basics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 07:08 AM

37,347 posts, read 28,428,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Its quite good - covers a lot of basics. He also has a couple letters to Kennedy on the front bible-truths.com page that cover more of the basics.
Yea i have read those before , don't know how i missed the Hagee one.

There is stuff by Ray i am not sure about though.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yea i have read those before , don't know how i missed the Hagee one.

There is stuff by Ray i am not sure about though.
Yeah I know not everyone agrees with everything Ray says, but I think most of his stuff is spot on and scriptural. I'm sure no one has it all figured out.

Anyway, here is a relevant portion from that article on the aions:

I will prove that both of these eons, over which Christ will reign, have beginnings and have ends, which excludes any possibility that they last "for ever."

See its simplicity: There was a time before God made any eons (I Cor. 2:7). Then God made the eons (Heb. 1:2). There were eons in the past (Col 1:26). We are living in this present wicked eon (Gal. 1:4). Satan is the god of this eon (II Cor. 4:4). Christ, not Satan, will reign a thousand years in the next eon (Lk 1:33). The thousand years will come to an end (Rev. 20:3). Christ will reign in the eon that follows the thousand years (Rev. 22:5 and Lk. 1:33). Hence, He reigns for the "eons" (the next two) "of the eons" (all others).

Then the last eon comes to an end (I Cor. 10:11). Christ ceases to reign after the eons come to an end (I Cor. 15:24:28) because He turns over the Kingdom to God His Father and God becomes "all in all." The eons end, but that which is of the Kingdom continues (Lk 1:33 & Isa. 9:7). We all continue "living" after the eons because, just like God, we will then all have been given immortality.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:32 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,573,130 times
An agenda by whom? All the translators of the bibles we have been using for umpteen years?? And why would anyone have that agenda?

I am curious, exactly how many places in the scriptures is the word aion used singularly? How many places is it used in the plural? How many places is it used in some other form, and with some other word?

My Analytical Greek Lexicon ( Zondervan, 1972) gives several alternate wordings, and gives illimitable duration,eternity as the definitions.
It also gives aionios and variations, indeterminate as to duration, eternal, everlasting.

How about 1 Tim. 1:17??? This is the plural form of aion, and is speaking of Jesus.

Also...where is aion used in the Old Testament? What Hebrew words are used to speak of eternity there?

Too many questions on this theory, and too few plausible explanations!

Old 07-11-2009, 08:55 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,345,284 times
the translation of aiĂ´n is exhaustively explained here:

Whence Eternity?

also interesting:

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon

Old 07-11-2009, 09:30 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,321,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
the translation of aiĂ´n is exhaustively explained here:

Whence Eternity?

also interesting:

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon
I actually gave some of this information but of course you can imagine what I got back. I even told the word in greek, translated exterminate, but oh well, I must be making this up in our heads, right.

By reading this and using the greek-english, it still points toward the wicked being punished, but says nothing about God bringing them into His presence afterward.

So, if the wicked are being punished for an age, eon, and the such, does it say that God will bring them into His presence, not from what I am reading, it is saying that they are being destroyed, in the greek bible, exterminate, but people can believe that they want to believe.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 07-11-2009 at 09:41 AM..

Old 07-11-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
I actually gave some of this information but of course you can imagine what I got back. I even told the word in greek, translated exterminate, but oh well, I must be making this up in our heads, right.

By reading this and using the greek-english, it still points toward the wicked being punished, but says nothing about God bringing them into His presence afterward.

So, if the wicked are being punished for an age, eon, and the such, does it say that God will bring them into His presence, not from what I am reading, it is saying that they are being destroyed, in the greek bible, exterminate, but people can believe that they want to believe.
Miss_Shawn,

You said previously you aren't glad or wish for anyone to go to an eternal hell. Let me ask you this:

Do you like the idea that eternal hell exists?
Does the concept of eternal punishment for sins make sense to you?

Old 07-11-2009, 11:02 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,345,284 times
Quote:
Miss_Shawn,

You said previously you don't wish for anyone to go to an eternal hell. Let me ask you this:

not wanting to speak for her, but she said several times that she believes in the annihilation of the wicked, at least I understood it that way.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:09 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,321,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Miss_Shawn,

You said previously you aren't glad or wish for anyone to go to an eternal hell. Let me ask you this:

Yes, I do in Isaiah 26:14

The dead will not live, the departed spirits will not rise; Therefore You have punished and destroyed them, And You have wiped out all remembrance of them.

When I read this scripture, it says that they are destroyed, wiped out.

What does that mean to you? It sound like they are destroyed and wiped out.

I believe they will be destroyed eternally, for ever that was there punishment destroyed for ever, there eternal punishment. Of less you see something in this scripture that I don't?

Old 07-11-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Yes, I do in Isaiah 26:14

The dead will not live, the departed spirits will not rise; Therefore You have punished and destroyed them, And You have wiped out all remembrance of them.

When I read this scripture, it says that they are destroyed, wiped out.

What does that mean to you? It sound like they are destroyed and wiped out.

I believe they will be destroyed eternally, for ever that was there punishment destroyed for ever, there eternal punishment. Of less you see something in this scripture that I don't?
Sorry I didn't quite understand you.

You believe in annihilation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity