Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:03 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,106,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
maybe Beloved got something right for a change on this one.
If a person sticks close to the words found in the Text, you dont get into much error.

The trouble starts when you have to add something more..

So far I have not seen her need to add anything more that wat is already written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 12:03 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,494,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beloved57 View Post
Lets compare jn 14:

1Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

2In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

with 1 thess 4:

16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

There is a 4 fold agreement between the Two passages:

1. Jesus said: I will come again..jn 14 3

1a Paul wrote: The Lord himself shall descend from heaven 1 thess 4 16

2.Jesus said: I will recieve you to myself jn 14 3

2a. Paul wrote: The saints shall be caught up together to meet the Lord in the air 1 thess 4 17

3. Jesus said: Where i am, there ye may also

3a. Paul wrote: So shall we forever be with the Lord

4: Jesus began by saying, let not your heart be troubled jn 14 1

4a paul in concluding: wherefore comfort one another with these words.

This confirms the Divine Authorship of scripture and His Sovereignty over the minds and penmenship of the various writers of scripture..along with the symmetry of truth from one book to the other..
beloved57: Would you mind setting up the CONTEXT of John 14 and 1 Thessalonians 4? I notice that you again failed to give any consideration for audience relevance in these passages. What did Jesus' words and Paul's words mean to those who first heard them? Or does that not matter?

Matthew24:34

Old 07-12-2009, 12:05 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,392,688 times
Quote:
beloved57: Would you mind setting up the CONTEXT
The context is fine, if you dont think so, prove it..

Old 07-12-2009, 12:11 PM

"I" am the context....
We are...

The words written in the Text about the Lord's return are there so that we can read them and have faith they we will not be forgotten.

I know it has been a long time, but we should expect it to take a long time too.
There is a story Jesus told us about the Return and how the lord in the story was gone from his house for a long time...the Lord of the house delayed his return to the point where a foolish servant might think the Lord will never return.

So we are warned by Jesus that his future return would be a long-long time in coming...
But yet we are also warned that we should also believe this is the "last days" because we must always be ready....

we must be ready at any moment for the return to happen....

Old 07-12-2009, 12:13 PM

Beloved,
I have not had any luck in finding a place where you are in error...
lets turn the situation around and ask you to point out any place where you think I am in error on this topic?

Old 07-13-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
The context is fine, if you dont think so, prove it..
Very well, beloved57. Using the very basic, fundamental principles of hermeneutics and sound exegesis, the interpreter must begin with the simple words themselves--who wrote them, why did he write them, to whom did he write, who is speaking, to whom is he speaking, and why is he saying to them what he is saying?

Clearly this is John's Gospel. As an inspired apostle of Christ, he was compelled to write these things. John is relating an incident concerning the Lord's soon departure. John himself is present (John 14).

The Lord is about to leave those very disciples right there with Him. THEY have spent years with Him, learning from Him, talking with Him, living with Him--THEY love Him beyond words. Now He is to leave THEM. THEIR hearts were troubled in a way no other disciples' hearts have ever been troubled. It was from these disciples and from these disciples alone that Jesus departed. He has never departed from any other disciples in a similar way. THEIR situation was unique. Jesus' words were meant to first of all comfort THEM!

Let not YOUR hearts be troubled, Jesus told THEM. He was going to leave THEM, but He was going away to prepare a place for THEM, and He would come back for THEM to receive THEM unto Himself that where He was THEY would be also. That is the context and that is the audience. Has He not prepared a place for all believers as well? Of course! But He was to come back to only THOSE believers right there with Him. That was THEIR comfort. What comfort could Jesus' words to THEM have been if He still has not returned? He came to THEM; those who had died in Him were caught up together with those who were still alive at His coming.

All of this ties in with 1 Thessalonians 4. Considering closely the sitz im leben and the audience relevance here, we find that paul said "WE" who are alive and remain." He meant "we" in the commonly understood way all of us understand it when we use it. He meant himself and those to whom he was first of all writing--those very Thessalonians of his day. THEY would be caught up with the dead in Christ and meet the Lord in the air--whether physically or spiritually and whether we can "see" it or not, it happened!

Preterist

Old 07-13-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
Very well, beloved57. Using the very basic, fundamental principles of hermeneutics and sound exegesis, the interpreter must begin with the simple words themselves--who wrote them, why did he write them, to whom did he write, who is speaking, to whom is he speaking, and why is he saying to them what he is saying?

Clearly this is John's Gospel. As an inspired apostle of Christ, he was compelled to write these things. John is relating an incident concerning the Lord's soon departure. John himself is present (John 14).

The Lord is about to leave those very disciples right there with Him. THEY have spent years with Him, learning from Him, talking with Him, living with Him--THEY love Him beyond words. Now He is to leave THEM. THEIR hearts were troubled in a way no other disciples' hearts have ever been troubled. It was from these disciples and from these disciples alone that Jesus departed. He has never departed from any other disciples in a similar way. THEIR situation was unique. Jesus' words were meant to first of all comfort THEM!

Let not YOUR hearts be troubled, Jesus told THEM. He was going to leave THEM, but He was going away to prepare a place for THEM, and He would come back for THEM to receive THEM unto Himself that where He was THEY would be also. That is the context and that is the audience. Has He not prepared a place for all believers as well? Of course! But He was to come back to only THOSE believers right there with Him. That was THEIR comfort. What comfort could Jesus' words to THEM have been if He still has not returned? He came to THEM; those who had died in Him were caught up together with those who were still alive at His coming.

All of this ties in with 1 Thessalonians 4. Considering closely the sitz im leben and the audience relevance here, we find that paul said "WE" who are alive and remain." He meant "we" in the commonly understood way all of us understand it when we use it. He meant himself and those to whom he was first of all writing--those very Thessalonians of his day. THEY would be caught up with the dead in Christ and meet the Lord in the air--whether physically or spiritually and whether we can "see" it or not, it happened!

Preterist
You havent diproven a thing i have posted, all you have done is shown how you reject the Truth..

Old 07-14-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
You havent diproven a thing i have posted, all you have done is shown how you reject the Truth..
If I am rejecting truth, beloved57, use the passage to prove so, not your opinion. To whom was Jesus speaking? Why were His words especially significant to THEM? How can our hearts be troubled in the same way theirs were? Did WE actually walk with Jesus for 3 years? Did He actually tell us that He was leaving us? What comfort did Jesus' words bring them IF He has still not returned? What would His words have meant to THEM?

Clearly, in the CONTEXT, He was telling those very disciples that He was coming back to receive THEM unto Himself. Tell me how I am rejecting truth by the simple words of Jesus in this passage? Please, answer the questions honestly and without presumptions.

Preterist

Old 07-14-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
If I am rejecting truth, beloved57, use the passage to prove so,
I already have..

Old 07-14-2009, 11:59 AM

Beloved, one day Jesus will return for His church.

The people that say Jesus has already returned lie.
The people that say, "Oh you missed the return" lie.

case closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity